Hype over Ocean Cay fizzling since everything a la carte

LMaxwell

Honestly, we have been on a number of cruiseline private islands.  Each has had a lunch buffet/bbq included.  Yes going back to the ship is a possibility but I do not think that is what people are going to want to do.  I am very disappointed with this.

• Like 2

When visiting Roatan with Carnival, their private area is a pay as you go day.... my guess is MSC needs to find a happy medium between free and pay...remember nothing is free, if they say it is free, you will be paying more in cruise fare...

• Like 1

I understand that some prefer 'pay as you go' because that allows them to keep the total cost of a cruise within budget.  But others find that being 'nickel and dimed' constantly kills their vacation vibe.  Certainly part of the appeal of the Yacht Club is that so many things are included.  But recent changes have been chipping away at the inclusiveness of YC, and this may make our upcoming Seaview YC a 'one and done.'  So even though we don't cruise the Caribbean, I will be watching to see if Ocean Cay is a la carte for YC passengers.

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I will be watching to see if Ocean Cay is a la carte for YC passengers.

The add on drinks and food packages for Ocean cay state they are not for YC passengers.  This leads to speculation that there will be drink and food service available in the YC area, whenever that area is ready is another question.  My guess is they will let YC have access to any of the food & beverage areas w/o charge, probably minus the Ocean Cay seafood restaurant..

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I will be watching to see if Ocean Cay is a la carte for YC passengers.

They will not be charging YC passengers on Ocean Cay. Below is the tentative complimentary menu for YC guests at the Yacht Club Ocean House which is scheduled to be open from 11:30 to 2:30 with the bar area open from 9:30 to 4. For those in the YC going before the area is open sometime in Feb/March of 2020, they will be given a voucher to go eat for free at the buffet.

Starters

Crab Ceviche

blue land crab, serrano peppers, three onions, cilantro

Charred Octopus

arugula, tomatoes, scallions, jicama tossed, key west lime vinaigrette

Ocean Cay Salad

sugar cane glazed bacon, romaine hearts, frisee, palmitos, grilled popales, egg

Main Courses

Pineapple Club Mahi Mahi (locally sourced)

pineapple relish, spinach, watercress, heirloom tomatoes, roasted sweet potatoes, coconut
cilantro dressing

Lobster Roll

spiny Caribbean lobster salad, mayonnaise, celery, toasted butter roll, homemade potato chips

Carne Asada

yucatan style grilled skirt steak, mescal, honey, roasted Garlic, guajillo chilies

The Burger

signature blend of fresh angus chunk, short ribs, brisket meat patty grilled, red onion jam,
monterrey cheese, sweet fries

Sweets

Crème Caramel - island rum, coconut flakes

Mango Cheesecake - toasted pistachios

Chocolate Cake - warm coffee sauce

Hope this helps. I always give this caveat though, as with all things MSC, things are subject to change.

Bret

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On May 28, 2019 at 11:15 AM, SteelCruisin said:

We were looking at a little 3 or 4 night getaway in January, with the lead in price for a cabin priced $169 pp...the port charges for any cruise stopping at Ocean Cay were over $200... wonder if MSC is setting the charge for the port and trying to re-coop some$ because it seemed a little high to me when a 7 night Mexican cruise Port fees and taxes were less than $175.

I noticed the high port fee too and wondered if it was a mistake.  Also I was trying to book a solo cruise and the port fee was still double no matter how I book.  Not sure if their new solo policy or a web glitch.  

55 minutes ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

They will not be charging YC passengers on Ocean Cay. Below is the tentative complimentary menu for YC guests at the Yacht Club Ocean House which is scheduled to be open from 11:30 to 2:30 with the bar area open from 9:30 to 4. For those in the YC going before the area is open sometime in Feb/March of 2020, they will be given a voucher to go eat for free at the buffet.

Thanks Bret, have you heard any semi-official word on how drinks will be handled prior to the Feb/March opening of YC facilities?  I assume they will be covered at the other venues?

Edited by Até

13 minutes ago, molole said:

I noticed the high port fee too and wondered if it was a mistake.  Also I was trying to book a solo cruise and the port fee was still double no matter how I book.  Not sure if their new solo policy or a web glitch.  

I've been seeing a lot of port fee & tax glitches on the MSC US website.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Até said:

Thanks Bret, have you heard any semi-official word on how drinks will be handled prior to the Feb/March opening of YC facilities?  I assume they will be covered at the other venues? 

For YC, there will be one dedicated bar on North Beach (the area used for YC until it fully opens) which will eventually become Maze Bar. Not sure how they will be handling drinks for YC guests at other bars on the island.

Bret

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/28/2019 at 10:20 AM, LMaxwell said:

I find it odd to go a cruise line private island at a beach day and even the beach bbq buffet is an upcharge.  I get that certain upscale features and amenities will incur a charge for any cruise line

Where are you getting this information?  

Two quick thoughts.

Someone posted the suggestion to consider it another specialty restaurant.

I don't know, but the port charges may be dictated by the Bahamian Government?

gary

3 hours ago, gtaylor said:

I don't know, but the port charges may be dictated by the Bahamian Government?

gary

I said something to DH only the other day on foot of what was being said.  (We don't get to see the port taxes and charges in our prices as they're all-inclusive).

If their buffet is similar to the b-b-que lunches on other lines private islands it's nothing to write home about.  SInce the ship is docked there and it's only a few minute walk to/from the ship, I'll go to the beach for a couple of hours, go for a swim and then go back to the ship and enjoy a lunch buffet in an air conditioned room and then decide whether to go back to the beach or not.  We're not going until Feb 2020 on the Divina and according to our itinerary, we're there from 9AM to 11PM.   Plenty of time to go back and forth between ship and shore several times.

• Like 2

On 5/30/2019 at 10:38 AM, GOLDENBONNY said:

I am sure they will make it for free. It will be a big challenge to make americans to walk 100m back to ship for lunch. 😅

I'm sure other nationalities will feel a challenge. And btw being American myself I probably as well as my husband could outrun you and are probably in better shape then you. Dont generalize all Americans. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

I'm sure other nationalities will feel a challenge. And btw being American myself I probably as well as my husband could outrun you and are probably in better shape then you.

Surely you mean "possibly"?  Would you, by "being an American",  run better than anyone else?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, marco said:

If their buffet is similar to the b-b-que lunches on other lines private islands it's nothing to write home about.

Here is the tentative menu for Seakers Food Pavilion (otherwise known as the buffet) which will be open from 11:30 to 3.

Appetizers and Salads

Trumpet Pasta salad
Trumpet Shells, BBQ Chicken, Chorizo and Sun Dried Tomatoes, Citrus Garlic Dressing

*Bahamian Ginger and Lime Couscous
Black Beans, Cherry Tomatoes, Golden Pineapple, Shredded Greens, Ginger Dressing

*Caribbean Yucca Salad
Marinated Yucca, Peppers, Mango, Pineapple, Lime Rum Dressing

* Island Spiced Corn and Bean Salad
Pinto Kidney, Lima Beans Tossed, Sweet Corn, Jalapefio, Cilantro Dressing

*Herb Vegetable Salad
Cucumber, Onion, Peppers Lightly Tossed in Fresh Oregano, Cumin Seeds Vinaigrette

*Tropical Red Cabbage Slaw
Mandarin, Raisins, Red Wine Vinaigrette

Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
Arugula, Pecans, Bacon, Goat Cheese and Honey Lemon Dressing
Fruit
Carving Station: Pineapple, Watermelon, Seasonal Selection of Tropical Fruit
Island BBQ Menu

Main Courses

Freshly Grilled Island Signature Burger

signature blend of fresh angus chunk, short ribs, brisket meat patty grilled, red onion jam, monterrey cheese, sweet fries

* Portobello Mushroom Burger
Crispy Plantains, Key West Lime, Avocado, Garlicky Aioli

Pork Ribs
Slow Roasted Ribs, Sweet Tamarind BBQ sauce

Beef Brisket
Special Brisket Rub, Slow Smoked For 12 Hours with Apple Woods

Bahamas Style Jerk Chicken
Sweet Plantains, Island Favorite

Veracruz-Style Red Snapper
Garlic, Lime Rice

*Green Plantains & French Fries

*BBQ Beans
Southern Style BBQ Beans

*Corn Lollipops
Dusted Smoked Peppers Seasoning

*Vegetarian Options
Dessert

Creamy Caramel Flan
Tres Leches
Rum Cake
Coconut Macaroon
Guava Duff with butter rum sauce
Spicy Chocolate Cake
Kids Menu

Buttermilk Chicken Tenders
Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce

Smiling Fish Bites
Tater Tots
Bahamas Mac 'n' Cheese

My guess is they are hoping that people will end up paying for convenience rather than going back to the ship. But as I always do posting anything MSC, things are subject to change at any time.

Bret

• Like 2

If it's equivalent to a "specialty restaurant"  I wonder if "Black Status" folks can have that be their "freebie" as Black status folks get a meal for two in a specialty restaurant.  That menu sounds pretty nice.  Will the have just burgers and dogs and the fixin's for those not YC? (Like what the other lines offer on the out island stop)  We'll see.  A lot can change before our  sailing in Feb 2020.

I found this article fascinating...Does anyone know what Ocean Cay was BEFORE the MSC group bought it?

It has needed to have 500 TONS of debris and scrap metal removed...

"Island's clean-up works included removing of over 500 tons of underwater debris (historic waste and scrap metal), before creating a solid seabed foundation. The project created 140 Bahamian jobs as permanently occupied employees (management, technical staff, attendants, lifeguards, rescue divers). "

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/ocean-cay-port-5231

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

I found this article fascinating...Does anyone know what Ocean Cay was BEFORE the MSC group bought it?

It has needed to have 500 TONS of debris and scrap metal removed...

"Island's clean-up works included removing of over 500 tons of underwater debris (historic waste and scrap metal), before creating a solid seabed foundation. The project created 140 Bahamian jobs as permanently occupied employees (management, technical staff, attendants, lifeguards, rescue divers). "

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/ocean-cay-port-5231

I don't think your post is insignificant in its information.  

My cruise is supposed to visit this new port and, if it does, I will make a visit.  Truthfully, I am not expecting much from what I have experienced on Princess Cays and Half Moon Cay.  Hopefully better than what I experienced on NCL's private island some years ago with their sand fleas.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fogfog said:

Does anyone know what Ocean Cay was BEFORE the MSC group bought it?

It has needed to have 500 TONS of debris and scrap metal removed..

It was a man made industrial island for aragonite sand extraction, which kind of explains why MSC is taking so long turning it into an "marine reserve".  From 1970:

https://www.si.com/vault/1970/07/06/611441/dredging-money-from-the-bank

Edited by Até
  • Thanks 1

Most of the construction delays, though not revealed to the general public, were because the extent of environmental pollution to the island that wasn't disclosed to MSC when they bought the island. The extra year or so of "construction" was basically detoxing the island. They weren't happy about the "delay" either. Cost them an exhorbitant amount of money in clean-up.

Bret 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

Most of the construction delays, though not revealed to the general public, were because the extent of environmental pollution to the island that wasn't disclosed to MSC when they bought the island. The extra year or so of "construction" was basically detoxing the island. They weren't happy about the "delay" either. Cost them an exhorbitant amount of money in clean-up.

I kind of suspected that.  Interesting because MSC doesn't actually own the island, I'm pretty sure they signed a 100 year lease from the Bahamas.

• Like 1