FYI QM2 CASUAL DRESS CRUISERS

JOHN474

Both my sons have worn dinner suits (tuxedos) since their early twenties, so it's just not true to say that all younger people do not like being properly dressed. The older on is now a British Army major and has attended countless black tie events over the last 20 years, whilst the younger one wears black tie mainly just on Cunard without any complaints.

My wife and I have been on 20+ Cunard trips in QG and if they decided to dumb it down any further, then they would lose us, along with thousands of others.

It's a bit like going to the opera and then complaining that the music is not to your taste as there should be more guitars and drums.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Well, certainly around here, all the secondary schools have things called Proms for the pupils when they leave, largely arranged by the young themselves, and the dress code would put Cunard to shame. Gowns, sparkles , DJs, etc. And this, I am astonished to say, seems pretty much universal. So these young people, at any rate, seem much to enjoy dressing up.

• Like 1

Yes, prom has always been a big deal here too. However, I think that it is the first time these kids are dressing up, and I don't see it going any further, at lease in America. I understand how the British feel, but here things are definitely different. In the US, the dress standards have slipped so far I wonder where they will end up!

We didn’t know if we would like dressing up or not. It is usually not our thing. We live in Florida, where “dressing up” means nicer shorts. We went on Cunard and thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere. We liked it so much we are going again. There are literally thousands of cabins on ships that don’t have such a dress code. Those of us who want one have few choices. Don’t want to dress for the evening? Fine. Go on another ship or stay within the already-expanded boundaries. Want to make a “statement” about the gala night attire? Why? When you spent the money for the crossing/journey you knew what you were getting into. 

We don’t want to be on a ship with bumper cars, Tigger, or people who wear bathing suits to dinner. So guess what? We don’t buy cruises on those ships. No condemnation of the ship’s expectations. No complaints. It’s just not for us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tonopah said:

We didn’t know if we would like dressing up or not. It is usually not our thing. We live in Florida, where “dressing up” means nicer shorts. We went on Cunard and thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere. We liked it so much we are going again. There are literally thousands of cabins on ships that don’t have such a dress code. Those of us who want one have few choices. Don’t want to dress for the evening? Fine. Go on another ship or stay within the already-expanded boundaries. Want to make a “statement” about the gala night attire? Why? When you spent the money for the crossing/journey you knew what you were getting into. 

We don’t want to be on a ship with bumper cars, Tigger, or people who wear bathing suits to dinner. So guess what? We don’t buy cruises on those ships. No condemnation of the ship’s expectations. No complaints. It’s just not for us.

You miss the point here: the people who want WHAT they want WHEN they want it and WHERE they want it happen to want some of the things which Cunard offers - but just not some other things.  The answer ? Simple- make Cunard like every other line.

Im not in the older crowd demographic yet.

Done 13 cruises now with Cunard and love the seeing up part.

Nothing personal to those who don't want to dress up - chose another cruise line.

Don't want to deal with kids then don't pick say a Disney cruise

Don’t want water slides and chaos by the pool then don't chose Carnival

Don’t need to carry on

I don't understand why people book knowing the dress code then go on line citing the dress code should be changed; Cunard need to move with the times etc. etc.  

Just got back from 5 night to Brussels/Guernsey and the Britannia was packed every night with people dressed and every time I went through the Lido it wasn’t by any means busy. Everyone was enjoying dressing up and its the highlight IMHO

I’m glad you enjoyed it without dressing up and yes as you’ve shown you can do Cunard without dressing up

I think JOHN474's post was informative and helpful, and it's a shame that some have chosen to 'flame' him.  He clearly is not encouraging anyone to flaunt the dress code, he is sharing his experience and saying that you can sail on QM2 even if you don't want to dress up in the evenings.  

I was also on the 28 April 2019 trip from Southampton to New York, the first half of my return crossing.  Whilst I did dress up and eat in the MDR, I found the food mediocre and so regularly popped into the buffet later for a snack.  From those visits, and also from seeing in through the windows on my evening walks around Deck 7, I noticed that a good number of people appeared to dine in the buffet.  I thought the food available looked much tastier than in the MDR and there appeared to be plenty of freshly cooked choices.  Although I chose to continue dining in the MDR for this trip, I did decide that next time I will give it a miss and eat in the buffet instead. 

I have no issues with the dress code, and no problem dressing for dinner.  However, although I understand that many people enjoy it and at one time I did too, and I still enjoy seeing everyone in their finery, now that I travel solo it isn't as much fun for me to do myself.

What I do take issue with is people making sweeping statements that if someone doesn't want to dress up then they should sail on a different cruise line.  QM2 is unique, a wonderful ship on which to travel.  Just because someone chooses not to dress up for dinner should not mean that they have to miss out on the experience of travelling on QM2, as long as they adhere to the dress code - which JOHN474 clearly did.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Stella1250 said:

Yes, prom has always been a big deal here too. However, I think that it is the first time these kids are dressing up, and I don't see it going any further, at lease in America. I understand how the British feel, but here things are definitely different. In the US, the dress standards have slipped so far I wonder where they will end up!

I also wonder how representative NYC is of the rest of the USA. London isn't representative of the UK,

13 hours ago, JOHN474 said:

I am sad to see, folks that don't want to see any changes responding negatively to my posts.  I never suggested your formal dress code requirements be changed in all areas of the ship.

When I stated 25% of the ship, preferred to dress casually, I was not talking about folks that frequented the formal dining room. Every night, in the casual dining areas, there were hundreds of individuals after 6 PM in casual clothes. About 95% of those in this dining area, were dressed casually.  Folks followed the dress code in that certain areas of the ship, after 6 PM, (ie. formal dining rooms, theatre etc. )

Every day after 6PM, I would see many casual dressed cruisers in other areas of the ships, (ie. casual dining areas, movie theatre, bars, lounges etc).  I do not suggest, if you want to dress casual, that you go to the theatre or formal dining room.

If you read the dress code section, on the Cunard website, it clearly states you do not need to dress formally after 6PM, if you are willing to avoid a few areas of the ship.  Given this Cunard declaration, and the fact there are hundreds and hundreds of cruisers on the QM2, like me, that prefer not to wear a tuxedo or dark suit, Cunard should make a few additional adjustments. There is no reason why Cunard could not make additional accommodations for us. We are paying customers also, welcomed by Cunard, so Cunard should allow us to participate equally. I have no interest in sitting next to someone who dresses formally. 

Folks, you can read the statement from Cunard that states you do NOT need to dress formally on the cruise after 6 PM. Cunard just states, there are currently a few areas of the ship, that formal dress is required after 6 PM. However, the vast majority of the ship is open too those that prefer to dress in casual clothes. 

Unfortunately, there are folks on the QM2, that prefer all cruisers dress formally after 6 every day. At one time, this represented 100% of the population. I believe this is now about 75%. Over time, that number will go down. Increasing numbers, prefer not to wear tuxedos, dinner jackets, dark suits and ties. It is unfortunate, some of the old timers get so angry when everyone does not think exactly the same way. 

Don't hesitate to go on the QM2, if you want to experience the QM2 in casual clothes. I am not talking about ripped jeans, I am talking about business casual clothes that are appropriate in most working environments today.

Myself I have absolutely no issues, with fellow passengers dressing to the hilt in formal clothes. It is just not my personal preference. 

Note the statements I bolded. If the vast majority of the ship is open to those who want to go casual, then there's only a small part that is restricted for the use of people who are dressed according to the evening's dress code. So by your account, you've already got more than half of the ship. You don't need more "adjustments." So stop asking for more and PLEASE allow those of us who appreciate Cunard's formal ambiance to have some areas we can enjoy with like-minded passengers. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Both my sons have worn dinner suits (tuxedos) since their early twenties, so it's just not true to say that all younger people do not like being properly dressed. The older on is now a British Army major and has attended countless black tie events over the last 20 years, whilst the younger one wears black tie mainly just on Cunard without any complaints.

My wife and I have been on 20+ Cunard trips in QG and if they decided to dumb it down any further, then they would lose us, along with thousands of others.

It's a bit like going to the opera and then complaining that the music is not to your taste as there should be more guitars and drums.

Agree 100% 

16 minutes ago, Wiltonian said:

I also wonder how representative NYC is of the rest of the USA. London isn't representative of the UK,

I don't think NYC is very representative of the rest of the USA either.   Like the old saying: "It's is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there."      

• Like 1

John474,

It's a big ship and there is room for everybody, especially folks like you and your wife who march to the beat of your own drummer but at the same time respect the passengers (and the formal areas) who feel differently. Especially appreciate you taking the time to write such an informative and positive review. 

My wife and I do love the formality of the evenings but you will find us in shorts/slack during the day. Ditto on the Golden Lion Pub for lunch. Im curious why you didn't eat in the MDR on non-formal nights, when only a sports coat and cocktail dress is required? Same with the shows at night on non-formal nights.

Thanks,

Jack

1 hour ago, Tigrou said:

I think JOHN474's post was informative and helpful, and it's a shame that some have chosen to 'flame' him.  He clearly is not encouraging anyone to flaunt the dress code, he is sharing his experience and saying that you can sail on QM2 even if you don't want to dress up in the evenings.  

The OP clearly stated that the theater should be open to people who didn’t want to dress.

9 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

John474,

It's a big ship and there is room for everybody, especially folks like you and your wife who march to the beat of your own drummer but at the same time respect the passengers (and the formal areas) who feel differently. Especially appreciate you taking the time to write such an informative and positive review. 

My wife and I do love the formality of the evenings but you will find us in shorts/slack during the day. Ditto on the Golden Lion Pub for lunch. Im curious why you didn't eat in the MDR on non-formal nights, when only a sports coat and cocktail dress is required? Same with the shows at night on non-formal nights.

Thanks,

Jack

Agreed - on the non-formal nights the dress code is pretty easy to conform with and that's fine for the theatre.

I think Cunard get it just right in terms of the number of formal vs non-formal nights, and IMO there are plenty of places in the evening you can relax if you don't want to dress up.  It's obviously something on Cunard's radar though - the last 3 post cruise questionnaires had lots of questions around the dress code.

Cunard appear to be getting it right though - the last 3 cruises I went on were all full, and according to the captain in the world club parties 50% of passengers had sailed with Cunard more than once.  I'm sure if things change and instead of the 75%/25% smart/casual quoted earlier it becomes 50/50 they would make more provision for people who want to be more casual in the evening.  After all, its in Cunard's interest to have the bars busy and selling drinks!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Actually Tonopah, John747 did not state that the theater "should" be open to casual dress. He only "suggested" that Cunard consider doing so. 

Jack

Semantics IMO. But thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Actually Tonopah, John747 did not state that the theater "should" be open to casual dress. He only "suggested" that Cunard consider doing so. 

Jack

The only imaginable reason someone would suggest that some action should be considered is because he believes that that action should be taken.   Whart other rationale is there for wanting it to be considered?

• Like 2

Thank you John474 for your review.  Now I know that we won't be too out of place and I'm very glad to hear that the food in the buffet is good.  We're doing a transatlantic on the Queen Victoria next spring.  While I love to dress up, DH refuses to wear a tie, so I'm resigned to the buffet most evenings.  I am disappointed that we won't be allowed to see the nightly entertainment, but that's how it is.  After the cruise, the only one that gets us to the UK on the dates, we're  joining a tour in London to North Africa. It just isn't practical to bring "dress up" clothes when we're limited to one suitcase.  I respect those that say, look for another cruise line if you don't like the dress code, but in our case, there isn't an alternative - and we don't want to fly both ways.

John474,
Thank you for your report and I'm glad you had a great crossing. It truly IS a magical experience, however you choose to arrange your time.

One question (and also for those who are wary of the formal requirement but are considering the cruise) - Is there a particular reason you chose not to enjoy breakfast or lunch in the Britannia Dining Room? From what you describe, your attire would be just fine during the daytime. Likewise, Afternoon Tea in the Queens Room. (Shorts can be a bit of a stretch, but well-tailored ones that aren't revealing or tatty are fine).

Not to denigrate the excellent Pub Lunch, and although I prefer table service, I know many enjoy the options in the Kings Court, but to me, missing what is arguably the most magnificent dining room at sea would be a loss. (And I want to make sure that any others following the thread are clear that Britannia is an option during the daytime)

Edited by MarkBearSF
  • Like 1

I initially expected to only write one entry on this Board. After reading entries on Cruisecritic.com I decided to try the QM2 as an alternative to flying back to the USA. I wanted to communicate the fact that our expectations were exceeded, even though we knew, before booking, we would be excluded from certain areas of the ship if we did not want to wear a tuxedo, dinner jacket, dark suit, sport jacket & tie etc.. Until I read the entries on this site, I was under the impression that Cunard did not welcome casual dress cruisers, after 6 PM.

In addition, I noticed a few inconsistencies, in Cunard’s policies, and wanted to suggest to Cunard, that they consider making a few additional adjustments.

On my 4/28 QM2 Cruise, I respected all the Cunard policies, and did not advocate others break any rules, in my posting.

However, as I was “flamed” by the majority of posters, I feel compelled to make another post to further explain my thinking.

First, let me say “thanks” to several individuals (WINDSURFBOY, STELLA1250, TIGROU, JACK E DAWSON, SOLENT RICHARD), for understanding my comments, and arguing for my right, to respectfully comment and provide my feedback as a casual dress cruiser who can also appreciate the beauty of the QM2. These folks did not always agree with my personal preferences, but acknowledged that I followed the Cunard rules, and like all other passengers was entitled to enjoy the cruise but also suggest to Cunard they make a few minor additional adjustments. 

Two individuals agreed with me, that they noticed on their 2 cruises, several hundred individuals at any one time, in the casual dining area, aka the buffet. I brought this up, to demonstrate that in my opinion up to 25% of the ships population, preferred not to dress up. They admittedly were surprised. If you don’t walk through the buffet area, you would not know, that there are folks on the QM2 that prefer not to dress up more formally after 6 PM.

It appears to me that Cunard must have changed their dress policy on the QM2, some time in the past. Their stated policy on their website, communicates that cruisers can dress casually after 6 PM, if they accept that they will not have access to all venues on the ship. If there were enough passengers, willing to not dress casually after 6 PM, they would not have changed their dress code policy. To keep the QM2 at 100% capacity, as dress preferences change, Cunard decided to relax their dress policies. We are in our 60’s and I now prefer to cruise without wearing tuxedos, dark suits, sports jackets ties etc.
The women on the QM2 seem to have a relatively more relaxed dress code than men. At least that was my observation.

I made a few suggestions to Cunard that I thought made sense, given the existing dress code rules. Given that possibly up to 600 folks were eating in the buffet at night, if Cunard considered making a separate room or section of the MDR, business casual, some of the folks in the buffet would opt to eat in that room. I am not suggesting they be allowed to sit at the table of folks that preferred to eat in tuxedos, dark suits or sports jackets. This would not take anything away from those individuals that wanted to eat alone side those dressing more formally.

At night several times, I asked Cunard if I could watch movies after 6 PM, in the Planetarium theatre, dressed in a collared button down shirt and nice slacks (ie no jacket & tie). They said “absolutely no problem”. This makes sense to me, why do you need a jacket and tie to sit in a dark room during a movie. I knew I was not allowed in the main theatre, after 6 PM for a show. I suggested Cunard not require jackets and ties here. Why do  you need to dress up to sit in the dark for a 1 hour show. 

Cunard has a mixed dress policy. Over time, more and more individuals would like to take a transatlantic cruise on the QM2 without the need to dress more formally. Younger passengers especially, increasingly don't understand why anyone would like to lug more formal clothes on a cruise. We are not young, but our personal preference is to relax on a cruise and that includes less formal dress. We can enjoy the attributes of the QM2 even if our dress restricts our entry into a few venues. We respect the right of others to dress to the hilt, and even to sit next to others that feel the same way. As long as Cunard communicates passengers can dress business casual after 6PM, if they like, we all should be able to adapt and make minor changes, to allow everyone onboard to enjoy all aspects of the ship. All passengers should be able to enjoy the experience to the fullest. 

My initial post was meant to be positive. I wanted casual dress cruisers to know they would love the QM2, and might prefer the transatlantic option over air travel. At the same time, I wanted to suggest to Cunard there were some rules that could use some tweaking. To my knowledge, I followed all the dress policies and rules on the QM2. Times are changing, preferences are changing , and we all need to seek balance and enjoy life.

Again, I wish to thank those folks that showed tolerance, did not flame me, even if their preferences were different than mine.
  • Like 3

Again, thank you. As you no doubt have noticed, crossings (and to a lesser extent, Cunard in general) attract a very diverse group of passengers, with many reasons to be aboard. While most of us posters here are fans of the line and the "Cunard experience" and heritage and are diverse in our own way, the voices here (including my own) are only a small part of the large number of passengers' opinions to be heard while aboard.

Edited by MarkBearSF

Sorry, what do you mean with „QM2 Casual Dining Room“?

I feel a bit sorry for the OP that they have missed out on the experience of dining in Britannia just because they did not want to comply with the dresscode.

Dresscode was a huge concern and obstacle for us prior to our first Cunard „cruise“ but we did everything to comply with the code and found the dinners in Britannia followed by a show in the Royal Court Theatre and then a drink in Commodore‘s Club to be the most enjoyable parts of the trip. We‘d never miss out on those.

Edited by Yoshikitty
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, JOHN474 said:
I knew I was not allowed in the main theatre, after 6 PM for a show. I suggested Cunard not require jackets and ties here. Why do  you need to dress up to sit in the dark for a 1 hour show. 

John474, it's shame that by complying with the dress code you missed out on theatre shows when I know that other people did attend in casual clothes on the same 28 April 2019 crossing. 

One night I went to the Royal Court, asked a lady if the seats next to her were available.  She said one was for her husband, the other was free, so I sat down and we chatted briefly.  She told me that her husband had gone to change out of his dinner clothes to be more comfortable for the show.  Sure enough, he soon turned up wearing casual trousers and an open-neck shirt.  I didn't think anything of it, other than that personally I couldn't have been bothered to get changed for the sake of a 45 minute show.  But then I don't have to wear a collar and tie!

Although the majority of people in the theatre were 'dressed up', he was by no means alone in being dressed more casually.  I didn't ever see anyone refused entry to the theatre, in fact I don't recall ever seeing Cunard staff in the vicinity to 'police' the dress code on any evening.  I stress that I am not questioning the dress code, I am simply sharing my experience of it not being enforced in the Royal Court Theatre. 

Whilst I don't question the dress code, I can't help but question some people's interpretation of it.  Good grief, I saw some sights during that 2 weeks.  My background for formal occasions has traditionally required ladies to cover their shoulders, and this is strictly enforced (these days it can easily be achieved with a pashmina).  Personally I wish Cunard would add this requirement to their dress code and enforce it!  A man with an open-neck shirt and no tie doesn't offend my sensibilities, but I could really do without seeing a multitude of flabby arms and wrinkly necks on ladies who would look much more elegant for the sake of a little more covering up.

• Thanks 1

I have not yet been on a transatlantic crossing. However, I have been on 20 plus cruises on Q.V. and QE and have never seen anything like the numbers of casually dressed passengers that have been suggested. My experience is similar to Bigmac's with a very limited number of casual diners spotted, even in the buffet. I agree that many people use the buffet instead of the MDR, however, they are usually following the same dress code as virtually all of the other passengers. 

I am in my 50's and love the dressing up as I don't get much oppurtunity for it at home. We started cruising with Cunard in our 40's. My son and his new wife (ages 32 and 26) have chosen a Cunard cruise for their honeymoon. Many young people do like to dress up occasionaly and those who don't may well find they would like to as they become more mature. I would never have considered a cruise in my younger days but absolutely love them, and all they entail, now. 

I really hope that Cunard stays as it is, with traditional formality for the vast majority of their passengers who enjoy It, but with some provision for the small minority who don't want to join in.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Camgirl said:

I have not yet been on a transatlantic crossing. However, I have been on 20 plus cruises on Q.V. and QE and have never seen anything like the numbers of casually dressed passengers that have been suggested. My experience is similar to Bigmac's with a very limited number of casual diners spotted, even in the buffet. I agree that many people use the buffet instead of the MDR, however, they are usually following the same dress code as virtually all of the other passengers. 

I am in my 50's and love the dressing up as I don't get much oppurtunity for it at home. We started cruising with Cunard in our 40's. My son and his new wife (ages 32 and 26) have chosen a Cunard cruise for their honeymoon. Many young people do like to dress up occasionaly and those who don't may well find they would like to as they become more mature. I would never have considered a cruise in my younger days but absolutely love them, and all they entail, now. 

I really hope that Cunard stays as it is, with traditional formality for the vast majority of their passengers who enjoy It, but with some provision for the small minority who don't want to join in.

I didn't see the hoards in the Lido on Victoria this March/April as we didn't go in to see, but the numbers were unusual enough to be mentioned by a member of staff we know who was stationed in the Lido.

We collectively decided it could have been because of the larger than usual contingent of world cruisers. For three or four months, they are on their ''home away at sea'' and just as one doesn't want to dine out every night when at home [or we don't], so those ''at home at sea'' don't want to dine in their appropriate restaurant all the time. Hence the use of the Lido as a casual evening eatery.