FYI QM2 CASUAL DRESS CRUISERS

JOHN474

I can understand why different types of cruises will have a different atmosphere, crossings will be different to warm weather cruises, short breaks different to world cruises.

That's why it's good to get different perspectives.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tigrou said:

Although the majority of people in the theatre were 'dressed up', he was by no means alone in being dressed more casually.  I didn't ever see anyone refused entry to the theatre, in fact I don't recall ever seeing Cunard staff in the vicinity to 'police' the dress code on any evening.  I stress that I am not questioning the dress code, I am simply sharing my experience of it not being enforced in the Royal Court Theatre. 

Agreed,  but have a prepared note which I present to The Welcoming Person, who evidences a non-enforcement as we enter.  In précis,  the note is handed over, it asks for their name,  enquires as to why, quoting a name and their direct Email address, with a suggestion for myself to send a missive immediately.  Seems to do the trick.

Another idea:

Not my idea, but copied from another cruiser a couple of years ago.  When leaving the Theatre, as you pass a standing jacket less person, stop, and say quite loudly in a helpful way  "Excuse me, but I think you've left your jacket on the seat"'.

The place for CUNARD and formality is complicated.  There has been a very strong trend to more informal cruises. From the more up market lines who have abandoned formal attire for golf club casual, and on the other side the party and family lines. So far Cunard has made only a few concessions to these trends. However all trends come to an end at sometime. New trends and niches appear. What Cunard must be careful of is reacting to yesterdays trend. 

The key thing is to follow the money, look at where the group's with plenty of disposable income are going. Are the younger wealthy looking for somewhere to show off their clothes and bling. Cunard must attract these not by going down the casual route that's been and gone, but by throwing of any image of being an oldies line. The Luxury line for young and old. More Gala nights, making them an event, themes are one way. At the moment they are slowly cutting down on Gala nights. Two thirds of nights are smart attire,  with a dress code that doesn't appeal to the young rich, their idea of smart attire is nothing like the awful example  below a turn off.smart-attire-for-him-1360-cropped.jpg.image_465_620.medium.jpg.5465235068e915fc93b1a93561d7e1f9.jpg

There example for ladies are equally awful.

So they need to update smart attire , call in some real designers.

Secondly don't make people who feel like having a casual night feel like second class citizens, banishing them to the buffet.  I hope the new ship has more dining options and inclusive waiter service dining for casual dressers.  

I like formal dress and follow the dress code, but I don't want my preferences to negatively impact others. As long as I can go to a dining room and a nice bar and a ballroom where everyone follows the code, then let everywhere else be open to everyone. Certainly don't deny the theatre to casual dressers. 

• Like 1

We are going on a Cunard TA for our first time. We take many cruises and we dress up, but my husband hates to wear a tie. He will obviously oblige here so we don't have any dining or theater restrictions, but there are 60 year olds that just prefer to be more comfortable. He would wear a jacket any day of the week, but now that he doesn't have to for work, etc, he is anti full suit and tie. By the way, he was never a hippie, lol.

A full suit and tie also reminds me too much of work

Cunard must change or die. It's missed the casual boat😀 so that isn't the future

Cunard must find it's own unique path, but change it must, let's hope it can find a smart path

3 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Agreed,  but have a prepared note which I present to The Welcoming Person, who evidences a non-enforcement as we enter.  In précis,  the note is handed over, it asks for their name,  enquires as to why, quoting a name and their direct Email address, with a suggestion for myself to send a missive immediately.  Seems to do the trick.

Another idea:

Not my idea, but copied from another cruiser a couple of years ago.  When leaving the Theatre, as you pass a standing jacket less person, stop, and say quite loudly in a helpful way  "Excuse me, but I think you've left your jacket on the seat"'.

I'm sorry Port Royal but I have absolutely no idea what relevance this has to the bit of my post that you quoted.  Not sure whether it's me that's lost the plot or you.

Personally I don't give two hoots what anyone is wearing in the theatre, life is too short.  Even if I did, I would not take it upon myself to be the enforcement officer.  I would consider it to be extremely poor manners to make any such approach or comments.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

I like formal dress and follow the dress code, but I don't want my preferences to negatively impact others. As long as I can go to a dining room and a nice bar and a ballroom where everyone follows the code, then let everywhere else be open to everyone. Certainly don't deny the theatre to casual dressers. 

Hear, hear.

4 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

The place for CUNARD and formality is complicated.  There has been a very strong trend to more informal cruises. From the more up market lines who have abandoned formal attire for golf club casual, and on the other side the party and family lines. So far Cunard has made only a few concessions to these trends. However all trends come to an end at sometime. New trends and niches appear. What Cunard must be careful of is reacting to yesterdays trend. 

The key thing is to follow the money, look at where the group's with plenty of disposable income are going. Are the younger wealthy looking for somewhere to show off their clothes and bling. Cunard must attract these not by going down the casual route that's been and gone, but by throwing of any image of being an oldies line. The Luxury line for young and old. More Gala nights, making them an event, themes are one way. At the moment they are slowly cutting down on Gala nights. Two thirds of nights are smart attire,  with a dress code that doesn't appeal to the young rich, their idea of smart attire is nothing like the awful example  below a turn off.smart-attire-for-him-1360-cropped.jpg.image_465_620.medium.jpg.5465235068e915fc93b1a93561d7e1f9.jpg

There example for ladies are equally awful.

So they need to update smart attire , call in some real designers.

Secondly don't make people who feel like having a casual night feel like second class citizens, banishing them to the buffet.  I hope the new ship has more dining options and inclusive waiter service dining for casual dressers.  

I do not deny anybody.  It is an authorised official of Cunard that asks them to leave.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tigrou said:

I'm sorry Port Royal but I have absolutely no idea what relevance this has to the bit of my post that you quoted.  Not sure whether it's me that's lost the plot or you.

Personally I don't give two hoots what anyone is wearing in the theatre, life is too short.  Even if I did, I would not take it upon myself to be the enforcement officer.  I would consider it to be extremely poor manners to make any such approach or comments.

I am not the enforcement officer, it is an authorised Cunard person.

So according to your premise, it's not poor manners to deliberately not show respect for other cruisers?  

With making a polite comment to a person who may have accidentally left his jacket on a Theatre seat, one is just trying to assist.  Similar to an item sic. Wallet being accidentally dropped by another guest, and bringing it to their attention.

We sailed on Queen Victoria from Hong Kong to Cape Town in March/April.

We always ate in the MDR and went to the theatre every night. Sometimes I would go to the suite after dinner to leave my jacket. I was always welcomed to the theatre by one of the hosts standing by the entrance and never once did anyone ask me to wear a jacket. There were even guests wearing shorts in the theatre.

It could be that Cunard wanted to fill the theatre. For the first show I would estimate the theatre to be 80 to 90% full, for the second show around 30% full. 

Port Royal - I would find it impolite if another guest suggested I had left my jacket on my seat. It is not up to guests to tell others what they think you can or cannot wear.

Peggy Tuten - re one of your posts - you can eat in the MDR most evenings even if your husband doesn't wear a tie and based on my recent experience going to the show should not present problems either.

Edited by longton
Missed something
  • Like 2

Windsurfboy- that attire would do nicly on any Cunarder for the casual night- perfectly so. For the formals- well,  I myself would absolutley not be dissturbed to come acros a guy dressed like this on a formal night!

Each to his own- up until a certain line... no shorts- no Tee´s NO SNEAKERS in the evening! ! That is a NOGO- in my opinion-  on every ship!

Those Carnival ships are more or less like a camp ground going to sea! They don´t even bother with tableclothes in the Main Dining room anymore- well why should they- if people come dressed in rugs- why bother with table clothes!

With so many options these days- there is a ship for everyones taste!

Edited by Germancruiser

9 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

I am not the enforcement officer, it is an authorised Cunard person.

So according to your premise, it's not poor manners to deliberately not show respect for other cruisers?  

With making a polite comment to a person who may have accidentally left his jacket on a Theatre seat, one is just trying to assist.  Similar to an item sic. Wallet being accidentally dropped by another guest, and bringing it to their attention.

My premise is that 'two wrongs don't make a right', and by making any comment regarding my perception of someone else's poor manners I would be exhibiting the same.

Drawing someone's attention to a genuine incident such as the dropping of a wallet is good manners.  Making a comment such as you suggest, simply as an indirect criticism of someone's behaviour, highlights your lack of manners far more than it does theirs.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, lovetotraveltx said:

We are going on a Cunard TA for our first time. We take many cruises and we dress up, but my husband hates to wear a tie. He will obviously oblige here so we don't have any dining or theater restrictions, but there are 60 year olds that just prefer to be more comfortable. He would wear a jacket any day of the week, but now that he doesn't have to for work, etc, he is anti full suit and tie. By the way, he was never a hippie, lol.

Many years ago, at school, we had to wear ties. We didn't much like it, mainly because it slowed down the dressing progress in the morning and increased the likelihood of being in trouble for lateness. But I don't remember it being uncomfortable once on. I can see it might be hot, if the restaurant aircon is having a bad day,  and I can see the shirt top button might be too tight, but that can be remedied. But I don't get that a tie is in itself uncomfortable.

2 hours ago, Tigrou said:

My premise is that 'two wrongs don't make a right', and by making any comment regarding my perception of someone else's poor manners I would be exhibiting the same.

Drawing someone's attention to a genuine incident such as the dropping of a wallet is good manners.  Making a comment such as you suggest, simply as an indirect criticism of someone's behaviour, highlights your lack of manners far more than it does theirs.

Without wconstructive criticism some people never learn they are in the wrong.

The lack of manners as you aver, is the result of another persons lack of respect for other guests.  Therefore,  if the jacket accompanied the individual, then there was no opportunity for an alleged lack of manners.  Crime and punishment?

For those who are contemplating taking their first Cunard cruise, you might find  Crime and Punishment in the library but as it's a bit heavy holiday reading, I've not actually tried to find out if Victoria's library has a copy in its catalogue.

• Like 1

Interesting thread. DH and I love dressing up and consider it part of the Cunard Experience. With regards to the comments re 'policing' of the dress code I have to confess to falling foul of it!!!  We always go second sitting So I was strolling very slowly back to my cabin to get changed (it was only just after 6pm) when something caught my eye and I wandered into a 'formal dress only' area; a waiter was clearing the tables, noticed my attire (jeans) and coughed gently and smiled. I took the hint.

However, we have been in the Commodore Club round about 7.30pm and seen men in shorts, and I don't mean smart ones and nothing has been said.

I would hate for Cunard to drop their standards any further and it will be interesting to see if the New ship continues the dress code or flirts with something else.

BTW, we cruised recently on the NCL Breakaway which I have to confess we quite enjoyed but one evening a young woman came into the MDR wearing the shortest pair of shorts I've ever seen. Wouldn't happen on Cunard 🤣🤣

2 hours ago, babs135 said:

Interesting thread. DH and I love dressing up and consider it part of the Cunard Experience. With regards to the comments re 'policing' of the dress code I have to confess to falling foul of it!!!  We always go second sitting So I was strolling very slowly back to my cabin to get changed (it was only just after 6pm) when something caught my eye and I wandered into a 'formal dress only' area; a waiter was clearing the tables, noticed my attire (jeans) and coughed gently and smiled. I took the hint.

However, we have been in the Commodore Club round about 7.30pm and seen men in shorts, and I don't mean smart ones and nothing has been said.

I would hate for Cunard to drop their standards any further and it will be interesting to see if the New ship continues the dress code or flirts with something else.

BTW, we cruised recently on the NCL Breakaway which I have to confess we quite enjoyed but one evening a young woman came into the MDR wearing the shortest pair of shorts I've ever seen. Wouldn't happen on Cunard 🤣🤣

Although the jury is still out for us on this more strict dress code, I do feel everyone should change for dinner to something appropriate for a "fine" dining style restaurant. We sailed several different cruise lines and NCL and even Disney now let everything go, even t shirts on formal nights. I know it's their vacation and apparently their choice but I do think it lessens the atmosphere/evening for other guests. On Celebrity, when we sailed, 4 years ago, just about everyone was dressed very nicely in the evenings and fancy on formal evenings.

16 minutes ago, lovetotraveltx said:

Although the jury is still out for us on this more strict dress code, I do feel everyone should change for dinner to something appropriate for a "fine" dining style restaurant. We sailed several different cruise lines and NCL and even Disney now let everything go, even t shirts on formal nights. I know it's their vacation and apparently their choice but I do think it lessens the atmosphere/evening for other guests. On Celebrity, when we sailed, 4 years ago, just about everyone was dressed very nicely in the evenings and fancy on formal evenings.

Als, to put it at its most basic, do you really want to sit next to someone wearing the same clothes they've just spent ten hours in wandering around a hot and sticky Mediterranean port?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Als, to put it at its most basic, do you really want to sit next to someone wearing the same clothes they've just spent ten hours in wandering around a hot and sticky Mediterranean port?

So agree! Quite disgusting!

• Like 1

I think this post is going off the topic, which is about allowing people who want to dress casually access to enough of the ship to fully enjoy their cruise. No one is suggesting you shouldn't wash before dinner or change into clean clothes. Neither is anyone suggesting Cunard should relax the dress code in the current waiter service fine dining rooms. Or that enough of the bars and the ballroom should not keep to the dress code. Cunard has missed the casual boat trend and it would be commercial suicide to follow this 10 years to late. It must find it's own unique path, based on style

The biggest area of contention is the jacket rule in the theatre. Some argue that this is the slippery  slope to an all casual Cunard,  whilst some say it's  just a variety show not Glydebourne and it doesn't diminish their enjoyment if others are casual. 

If you don't want to wear a jacket in theatre just tell staff (and PortRoyal) you self-identify as a woman , they won't have an answer to that, as it says in the advert simples.