FYI QM2 CASUAL DRESS CRUISERS

JOHN474

Writing this entry, especially for those considering taking the transatlantic who prefer NOT to wear tuxedos or dark suits with ties. I took on 4/28 from England to NYC. Before I took chance I read 100+ reviews. Now I want to pay it forward.

My wife and I took initially with reservations, as after 15 cruises, and being retired in Florida, we no longer enjoy dressing up on cruises. Also we did immediately after a 13 night repositioning cruise from Florida to England, and did not want to lug additional clothes for 2 cruises. We are very glad we took a chance, and encourage others to try. You 
Our expectations were exceeded. Like other reviewers, with the same preference regarding dress, I would like to qualify my feedback. I knew from reading many reviews, that most QM2 travelers, preferred to dress to the hilt. I found about 75% of the travelers on my particular cruise fell into this category. I knew if I did not want to wear a tuxedo, or dark suit with tie, I could not dine after 6PM in the formal dining rooms. That was OK with me. Also knew that I probably could not attend the shows at night, but that was a trade-off I was OK making. Personally with about 25% of ship approximately, preferring to dress casual at night, I think Cunard should bend a bit. Suggest they allocate a section, possibly balcony, to casual dressers, as a compromise. Also suggest they designate a small formal dining room or section, to those that would like to dress casually in the main dining room. That would give casual business dressers another option, but allow those that prefer dressing formal to sit with those that prefer that option. 
We ate in the casual dining room and loved it. Our last few cruises were on Celebrity and the food on the QM2 casual dining room was superior to the Celebrity casual dining room, that was rather good. Some of my favorites in the casual DR were Rack of Lamb 2 nights, Rib Lamb Chops 2 nights, Sushi nightly, and Filet Mignon 1 night. Every night we say folks from the Main DR that opted for the casual DR because of the menu that night.

Several days and nights, we watched movies, that included Academy Award movies. Never felt out of place at the movies, dressed casually.
Enjoyed the afternoon tea, with 3 woman from Ukraine playing violins. Actually followed their concerts all over the ship. Enjoyed the concert pianist playing in the theatre, before 6PM 🙂

Some days wore shorts, other days long pants, during day and night, throughout the ship.
Found everyone on the ship extremely friendly although my dress was never better than business casual. Respected rights of those, to eat formally, in areas designated formal.

Enjoyed the Winston Churchill Cigar Room very much, listening to classical music and watching the ocean.
The Ocean Liner QM2 experience is unlike all the other cruises I have taken. Large percentage of British passengers, and ship seems very British. It looks differently than other cruise ships and handles the waves much better.
We ate all our lunches in the Golden Lion Pub on the 2nd floor. Food is included with ticket, you just pay for drinks. Most days we were able to get small table right next to window. What an experience. We ate breakfasts and dinners in the casual dining areas. We enjoyed these areas, as they are really a bunch of spaces, rather than 1 room. Most days were were able to find tables in small alcoves overlooking the ocean.
The QM2 accommodates casual dressed cruisers, but in my opinion, they could do more, without taking away anything from the experiences of those that prefer to dine dressed formally.
However, to those of you, like my wife and I, that prefer not to dress formally, I encourage you to try the QM2. My wife and I both enjoyed so much, even with the limitations because we opted to dress business casual...that we will probably opt always to take the QM2 and or a repositioning cruise to from Europe. I took a chance on this cruise, because of the reviews on this site, by casually dressed cruisers. I encourage others to do the same.
I also hope Cunard reads this type of review, and make additional changes to allow those of us onboard that prefer not to dress, to enjoy cruise even more. They can make these changes, in such a way, that respects the preferences of those that do not want to see any changes that effect them.

We also enjoyed professional grade lectures, by a Canadian astronaut who lived in space over 6 months, terrorism related presentations and current event presentations by 2 ex BBC TV experts. 

Also by the way, just remembered to comment on the complimentary self-service laundry onboard. On most floors, there is a room with 3 washers and 3 dryers. I picked a room close to the laundry, for convenience. We were never bothered by the laundry down the hall. Actually it was quite nice, the convenience of being close, and being able to do a load of clothes, when machines were empty.

I am dropping to 4 star as the embarkation process was horrendous. I sat for over 2 hours before being allowed to start the checkin process, as a elite group of passengers were checked in the entire time. We were informed, that Cunard had IT issues that day, and boarding was worse than usual. However, this did not stop Cunard from checking in, special category passengers. There appeared to be a class system during embarkation. There is nothing wrong with some category of passenger receiving priority service, but regular passengers should not have to sit in the waiting area for 2 hours before they can get on line. We were forced to sit in a waiting area, and wait for our number to be called. I tried to complain to a Cunard employee, but was told only “contractors” worked in the terminal. Cunard, you need to service every category of passenger when the arrive. 
  • Like 3

25% of pax in casual dress in the evening? This is obviously a different Cunard to the one that we travel on. On our Cunard, it's more like <5%.

Great to hear you loved the ship, but please don't expect the tail to wag the dog.

Not such a good idea to try to encourage those who object to a dress code to travel, and then demand more of the ship is turned over to this group. That simply won't happen, and neither should it. Many of us would object to having less of the ship to accommodate the casual group. Sorry.

Stewart 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigMac1953 said:

25% of pax in casual dress in the evening? This is obviously a different Cunard to the one that we travel on. On our Cunard, it's more like <5%.

Great to hear you loved the ship, but please don't expect the tail to wag the dog.

Not such a good idea to try to encourage those who object to a dress code to travel, and then demand more of the ship is turned over to this group. That simply won't happen, and neither should it. Many of us would object to having less of the ship to accommodate the casual group. Sorry.

Stewart 

I'm with you there BigMac.

In fact with more multiple TA crossings than I care to remember, on Queen Mary 2,  I'd  have put the figure in single digit and even then considerably below 5%.

• Like 1

I am sad to see, folks that don't want to see any changes responding negatively to my posts.  I never suggested your formal dress code requirements be changed in all areas of the ship.

When I stated 25% of the ship, preferred to dress casually, I was not talking about folks that frequented the formal dining room. Every night, in the casual dining areas, there were hundreds of individuals after 6 PM in casual clothes. About 95% of those in this dining area, were dressed casually.  Folks followed the dress code in that certain areas of the ship, after 6 PM, (ie. formal dining rooms, theatre etc. )

Every day after 6PM, I would see many casual dressed cruisers in other areas of the ships, (ie. casual dining areas, movie theatre, bars, lounges etc).  I do not suggest, if you want to dress casual, that you go to the theatre or formal dining room.

If you read the dress code section, on the Cunard website, it clearly states you do not need to dress formally after 6PM, if you are willing to avoid a few areas of the ship.  Given this Cunard declaration, and the fact there are hundreds and hundreds of cruisers on the QM2, like me, that prefer not to wear a tuxedo or dark suit, Cunard should make a few additional adjustments. There is no reason why Cunard could not make additional accommodations for us. We are paying customers also, welcomed by Cunard, so Cunard should allow us to participate equally. I have no interest in sitting next to someone who dresses formally. 

Folks, you can read the statement from Cunard that states you do NOT need to dress formally on the cruise after 6 PM. Cunard just states, there are currently a few areas of the ship, that formal dress is required after 6 PM. However, the vast majority of the ship is open too those that prefer to dress in casual clothes. 

Unfortunately, there are folks on the QM2, that prefer all cruisers dress formally after 6 every day. At one time, this represented 100% of the population. I believe this is now about 75%. Over time, that number will go down. Increasing numbers, prefer not to wear tuxedos, dinner jackets, dark suits and ties. It is unfortunate, some of the old timers get so angry when everyone does not think exactly the same way. 

Don't hesitate to go on the QM2, if you want to experience the QM2 in casual clothes. I am not talking about ripped jeans, I am talking about business casual clothes that are appropriate in most working environments today.

Myself I have absolutely no issues, with fellow passengers dressing to the hilt in formal clothes. It is just not my personal preference. 

• Like 1

Thanks for reporting back on your casual cruise experience, it's good to hear that you had such a good time.

We often hear negative comments about the reduced experience for those who don't want to comply with the dress code so it's good to hear first hand from someone who has tried it.

Cunard increased the number of "casual dress" venues last year and it seems as if the balance is about right at the moment, enough for the casual dressers to enjoy the crossing but not so much to change the ambience of the formal areas of the ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, JOHN474 said:

Folks, you can read the I am talking about business casual clothes that are appropriate in most working environments today.

Thanks for a detailed report.  Interested to know what your definition of business casual would be?  For me that would mean for men trousers, a button up shirt and a matching jacket or sports jacket.  That would also be ok to wear in the MDR on a non formal night.

• Thanks 1

That old chestnut again  'The Class System' . Please let me know when you find a cruise line that 'doesn't' reward their frequent/ return customers. 

Just a bit confused, when you mention the 'Casual Dining Room' in the evenings, are you referring to the self service buffet where one has to line up and carry their own plate to a table. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

I don't understand the prohibition of casual dress in the theatre , it dark and you should be looking at the stage not others in the audience.  This seems unfair. 

The bottom line is about the ambience generated and Cunard have been, in the past, renowned for that.

As far as I see it the moment Cunard give a bit of slack then there are those who will 'push the boundaries'. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JOHN474 said:

I am sad to see, folks that don't want to see any changes responding negatively to my posts.  I never suggested your formal dress code requirements be changed in all areas of the ship.

When I stated 25% of the ship, preferred to dress casually, I was not talking about folks that frequented the formal dining room. Every night, in the casual dining areas, there were hundreds of individuals after 6 PM in casual clothes. About 95% of those in this dining area, were dressed casually.  Folks followed the dress code in that certain areas of the ship, after 6 PM, (ie. formal dining rooms, theatre etc. )

Every day after 6PM, I would see many casual dressed cruisers in other areas of the ships, (ie. casual dining areas, movie theatre, bars, lounges etc).  I do not suggest, if you want to dress casual, that you go to the theatre or formal dining room.

Good morning John.

It grieves me to say it but on my recent cruise onboard Queen Victoria I witnessed, purely by chance, similar numbers in the Lido - Queen Victoria's buffet.

I had been on the stern photographing an early evening sailaway with a beer and chatting to another keen photographer. In my haste to return to my stateroom I decided to take a short cut through the Lido - taking care to sanitise my hands on entering of course.

I was truly shocked at the numbers who were eating in the Lido - dining is not a word I would associate with buffet foods.

Indeed, so stunned was I that I did a rough headcount and there were easily over 300 at 6.50 pm.

So in a way you are correct in your assumption. There are folk who want to utilise this type of venue if only for the reason of not having to 'dress up'.

Of course the cynic in me thinks a little differently though I'd never dream of allocating percentages to those who use the buffet either because they can load their plates higher, avoid drinking bottles of wine, and perish the thought,   not feel obliged  to offer an additional gratuity to a regular table waiter.

For Cunard though I see it as a risk that personally I wouldn't push too far. Buffet food and service (less staff) are cheaper to provide so major savings here: not to mention the practice of buffets being a regular place to recycle the MDR left over food.

On the flip side, as I've already mentioned, beverage sales fall short as does the gratuity take which Cunard are then obliged to make up.

All interesting 'stuff' I'm sure you will agree.

5 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

The theatre has distinct boundaries,  evening entertainment is a big part of the cruise that shouldn't be denied to anyone.

It's not denied to anyone. There is just a code of conduct regarding the standard of dress.

Dress regulations apply the world over...

1357569097_NoBikiniDressRegulation.jpg.054db147da57aa3d1fac436897cfb9e3.jpg

• Like 1

I have  sympathy with John

People who do not like formal dress have their own reasons and it's not for others to second guess them.

They deserve to have an enjoyable cruise. Cunard seem to have the balance almost right, casual informal dining,  the golden lion, except for the the theatre.

I personally like gala nights and would like to see more and like waiter service , but that's me.

• Like 1

It's a dress code not a code of conduct, conduct is different to dress. You can still have well dressed yobs  whose conduct is deplorable 

I'm not suggesting people inshore the dress code , it's like a law you obey it but you can campaign to have it changed

19 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

It's a dress code not a code of conduct, conduct is different to dress. You can still have well dressed yobs  whose conduct is deplorable 

I'm not suggesting people inshore the dress code , it's like a law you obey it but you can campaign to have it changed

The bottom line my friend is it is how we conduct ourselves and in this debate it regards dress.

Don't feel too bad John. I got flamed for the simple suggestion that it may be ok to wear another color dress to the black and white ball. Just imagine, people attacking someone simply for the COLOR of their gown! I was not talking about being casual, just wearing a long gown that was not black/white.

• Thanks 1

Carnival are not going to remove the USP of Cunard - moderate formality and smartness - in a hurry; it's a niche product on 3 ships, and fits alongside their other lines. I agree with others that 25% does not match my experience.

It is just simple economics. As the demographic that prefers Cunard's formality ages out of the market, things will change. They have to in order to entice a younger group to try their ships. Carnival does not care how much people like the formal nights. What really matters is the bottom line. They will not hold a cruise line too long if it becomes unprofitable. Either change or lose. Just look at the last changes. Formal evenings are now Gala evenings. Most of Carnival's other lines also call it that. Soon, black tie will be optional and the rest will be history. Doesn't matter if it is 5% now or 25% now. Over the years, that percentage will go up and there will be no choice.

I am not advocating for the change. I like the formality as well. I am just looking at reality in a world that increasingly looks at the bottom line over just about anything else.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stella1250 said:

It is just simple economics. As the demographic that prefers Cunard's formality ages out of the market, things will change. They have to in order to entice a younger group to try their ships. Carnival does not care how much people like the formal nights. What really matters is the bottom line. They will not hold a cruise line too long if it becomes unprofitable. Either change or lose. Just look at the last changes. Formal evenings are now Gala evenings. Most of Carnival's other lines also call it that. Soon, black tie will be optional and the rest will be history. Doesn't matter if it is 5% now or 25% now. Over the years, that percentage will go up and there will be no choice.

I am not advocating for the change. I like the formality as well. I am just looking at reality in a world that increasingly looks at the bottom line over just about anything else.

Black tie is optional. A suit suffices, as it has for many years. 

Dont see why the % of those who don't want to dress need go up. Perhaps, as they get older,  they will grow to prefer more formal. I assume many of those in their sixties or seventies, who now enjoy dressing up formally, were once hippies in their youth and wouldn't have been seen dead in a DJ.

• Like 1

People see the formality as a turn off. I know many of the ones I tell about our upcoming cruise on Cunard have said to me

"Why are you going on that line. Old and stuffy. I would never try that." And these are people in their 60's. A lot of the younger ones have never even heard of Cunard. Most of the upscale smaller cruise lines are business casual in the evenings, which a lot of people like. They don't want to carry the clothes and get dressed up on their vacation. It is unfortunate, but just the reality of the next generations. They don't want to carry or wear a suit. Period.

• Like 1

Stella my husband and I are 60 and we like the fun of dressing up, including a tuxedo for my husband. We also know people younger than us that also like to dress up. Maybe not to the extent of a full tuxedo but jackets from white to brocade. Life can be mundane so a bit of escapism on holiday can be fun. 

Walking around my local shopping mall it is interesting to see more beaded and bedazzled gowns available for younger women. Coming from a small city like Perth, I find it an interesting comment on life changing. Maybe life is becoming more worrying and some younger people are wanting some escape to something more colourful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JOHN474 said:

Personally with about 25% of ship approximately, preferring to dress casual at night, I think Cunard should bend a bit. Suggest they allocate a section, possibly balcony, to casual dressers, as a compromise. Also suggest they designate a small formal dining room or section, to those that would like to dress casually in the main dining room. That would give casual business dressers another option, but allow those that prefer dressing formal to sit with those that prefer that option. 
P

The QM2 accommodates casual dressed cruisers, but in my opinion, they could do more, without taking away anything from the experiences of those that prefer to dine dressed formally.

I also hope Cunard reads this type of review, and make additional changes to allow those of us onboard that prefer not to dress, to enjoy cruise even more. They can make these changes, in such a way, that respects the preferences of those that do not want to see any changes that effect them.

It could be noted that Cunard is not completely independent - it is part of the Carnival group - and virtually all other Carnival brands do accommodate those who prefer casual dress.    Passengers who prefer the formality really like the formal ATMOSPHERE and not just dressing formally themselves.

While informal advocates might prefer their own informality, they should be able to understand that a formal atmosphere cannot be achieved by individuals - it needs a generally accepted code.

• Like 1

I wish. I live in NYC, and you would be surprised at how many young people go to work in pajamas and flip flops! I love to dress up, and so does my husband. We both wore uniforms all of our working lives, so it is great fun! He bought a tux for this cruise, and I have three nice gowns.

I have been talking to people at work about this cruise, and down to an individual, the younger ones cannot understand why I would want to wear a gown to dinner. Very disheartening.