Todays dress code quiz

Windsurfboy

• 3 weeks later...

On the topic of women's dress, for gala evenings the website shows a glittery long gown and a not-so-elegant pantsuit. Must women wear a long gown on gala evenings? For black and white night I am thinking of wearing a knee-length dressy black skirt and white top covered with swirls of gold sequins. Would this be out of place? Do I need to switch to a long skirt? Or would it be better to wear dressy black pants with my white top? 

I was worried about dinner dressing, concerned about packing, coming from Australia via a couple of days in Dubai, a couple in London, then Southampton to Norway.

By the look of those pictures, as an older person I know I can dress better than that, and from just 23 kg of luggage. Lol

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 40yearcruiser said:

On the topic of women's dress, for gala evenings the website shows a glittery long gown and a not-so-elegant pantsuit. Must women wear a long gown on gala evenings? For black and white night I am thinking of wearing a knee-length dressy black skirt and white top covered with swirls of gold sequins. Would this be out of place? Do I need to switch to a long skirt? Or would it be better to wear dressy black pants with my white top? 

Your plan is fine. There were many women in nice cocktail dresses on gala night on our crossing.

Most women wear long  dresses or trousers or long skirts on Gala nights, so you may be more comfortable if you wore  dressy trousers and kept the skirt for a smart casual night.  

On some shorter cruises the dress tends ro be more towards the smart casual howver, on world voyages or sectors passengers do dress very well.

But that is only my opinion I have sailed since 1971 with Cunard and dress codes have changed.  I prefer a smart cocktail dress if we are dining in the restaurant on smart casual nights as it makes my voyage special.  I always wear long formal dresses on Gala nights.  If we are using the buffet a  mrore casual  or maxi dress is great.

I will be wearing cocktail dresses for gala nights on my QE cruise in October, and either evening trousers and sparkly tops or cocktail dresses on the other nights. I have a selection of sparkly or lacy wraps to complete the looks and am hoping I won't look out of place. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Annabellecruiser said:

I will be wearing cocktail dresses for gala nights on my QE cruise in October, and either evening trousers and sparkly tops or cocktail dresses on the other nights. I have a selection of sparkly or lacy wraps to complete the looks and am hoping I won't look out of place. 

You will look great. You will see a mixture of people wearing long and short- and you will look fantastic in your sparkles and lacy wraps... Wear what you feel beautiful in. Always remember to have fun... this is your lovely vacation- that is what it is all about.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice for gala nights. I'm still debating what to wear with my white sparkly top and will try it with different options to decide. For the other gala nights I have long gowns. My husband just bought a new tuxedo so we should look elegant on gala nights.

• Like 1

It's great to see such a positive way that this thread had developed , the ladies leading the way with style and colour.  I'm  adding colour via bow ties, subdued with my tux, but matching my jacket on some smart attire nights, and an invisible optional tie on others as the mood and shirt takes me.