Cabins on Deck 4 above the Lifeboats.

Pushka

On 6/1/2019 at 6:05 PM, Jim Avery said:

I agree something is not right.  As you know there were a few glitches on the Inaugural WC, all related to management, never the on board crew.  I just don't understand using one tender for 900 passengers.  I have been frustrated with Viking's high handed management approach too.  And no berth in Vancouver is just over the top.  Poor scheduling at the very least.  I hope the onboard experience and Alaska's beauty make up for some of the aggravations.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by “Viking’s high handed management approach”?

35 minutes ago, molymoo said:

Could you elaborate on what you mean by “Viking’s high handed management approach”?

Yes.  By that I was referring to "take it or leave it" so to speak.  Viking will not give any compensation to booked guests for any price drops, Viking tells Travel Agents what they can and cannot give to their clients, Viking flat out lied to Inaugural WC guests about our "special events" in Shanghai.  And this is in great part to Viking being so popular and selling so well.  Not many other lines could get away with demanding full pay a year out.  So that is some of what I was referring to.  If the onboard experience with the excellent crew was not so right up our alley I am sure we would have  made different choices.  We all weigh our options and make our decisions. 🍸

• Like 4

I looked at this thread because it was titled Cabins on Deck 4 Above Life Boats.  Talk about getting off topic.  All I see is a couple posts about noise and cabin 3057.  The rest are about tendering in Alaska!  DO CABINS ON DECK FOUR ABOVE LIFE BOATS HEAR NOISE?

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

I looked at this thread because it was titled Cabins on Deck 4 Above Life Boats.  Talk about getting off topic.  All I see is a couple posts about noise and cabin 3057.  The rest are about tendering in Alaska!  DO CABINS ON DECK FOUR ABOVE LIFE BOATS HEAR NOISE?

Yes. The rest is completely relevant because the lifeboats are lowered and become the tender boats. 

Edited by Pushka

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

I am going to give a general response to this question in case you are somewhat new to cruising.

When booking an amidship  ocean view or balcony cabin  on any ship, depending on if tenders are being used from your side of the ship, you will hear noise from the tender platform being attached to the side of the ship, the tenders being lowered and the passengers loading or unloading the tender. 

The amount of noise you hear will depend on the vertical  (deck) and horizontal   distance you are from the activity.

In specific for your question, cabins above the lifeboats being used for tendering or the tender platform will hear noise. This also applies to cabins next to the tenders. In the case of Viking ships, that definitely means decks 3 and 4. I would assume decks 5 and 6 will also hear noise.

One can not identify the side which will be in use  because the side used will depend on port  ocean conditions on the day of the visit.  It is also not always easy to determine if a port will be a tender port.

Some will be easy as all ships tender in certain ports and will be marked on the itinerary. Others ports will not be designated on itineraries released far in advance because the cruise line will not know if there is dock space until the port authorities  release the information.

I have a cruise in the end of July on Viking. I know that there can be ports in which tenders may be used .  I will not know until the final itinerary will be released about a month before my cruise date and also know that even that information may change the day of the port call.

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

I am going to give a general response to this question in case you are somewhat new to cruising.

When booking an amidship  ocean view or balcony cabin  on any ship, depending on if tenders are being used from your side of the ship, you will hear noise from the tender platform being attached to the side of the ship, the tenders being lowered and the passengers loading or unloading the tender. 

The amount of noise you hear will depend on the vertical  (deck) and horizontal   distance you are from the activity.

In specific for your question, cabins above the lifeboats being used for tendering or the tender platform will hear noise. This also applies to cabins next to the tenders. In the case of Viking ships, that definitely means decks 3 and 4. I would assume decks 5 and 6 will also hear noise.

One can not identify the side which will be in use  because the side used will depend on port  ocean conditions on the day of the visit.  It is also not always easy to determine if a port will be a tender port.

Some will be easy as all ships tender in certain ports and will be marked on the itinerary. Others ports will not be designated on itineraries released far in advance because the cruise line will not know if there is dock space until the port authorities  release the information.

I have a cruise in the end of July on Viking. I know that there can be ports in which tenders may be used .  I will not know until the final itinerary will be released about a month before my cruise date and also know that even that information may change the day of the port call.

Thank you for the thorough explanation.  Booked about halfway forward between tender boats and the bow on deck four.

26 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Thank you for the thorough explanation.  Booked about halfway forward between tender boats and the bow on deck four.

My party is booked in the three cabins just forward of the lifeboats on deck three.

I took into consideration the possibility of tender noises and booked the two passengers in our party who could fall asleep and stay asleep if a two hundred member brass band was playing on their balcony. 

We were in stateroom 4081 on Viking Jupiter in April.  This room is directly above the lifeboats/tenders.  We never heard any noise, but only had one tender port during our cruise.  It was actually very interesting to watch from our veranda as the crew lowered the tender right below us.

4 hours ago, Homosassa said:

My party is booked in the three cabins just forward of the lifeboats on deck three.

I took into consideration the possibility of tender noises and booked the two passengers in our party who could fall asleep and stay asleep if a two hundred member brass band was playing on their balcony. 

Thank you for the laugh.  😂

Right, DH sleeps through anything, including the Balcony Brass Band. I'm the one who has issues and silly me, I've booked my next two cruises right over the tenders. Why? Because, in my experience, those noises are few and far between.

I've slept in both 4082 (my choice) and 4060 (guaranteed assignment). In 4060, no noises at all but then again, in one week, we did not tender at any port. 4082 however had some noises that I could never really figure out other than to say they kind of sounded like a cable slapping every now and then--and the noise was not part of tender activity. It wasn't a loud or drawn out noise and it wasn't predictable and DH's reaction was, "just deal with it."

In truth, what really bugged me about those two cabins was the pillar that rose floor to ceiling at the foot of the bed. It isn't a problem in every cabin but how could I be so lucky as to encounter them two sailings in a row!?? (If you want to see what I am talking about check out this post in another thread for pictures.)

So, no, I am not going to change my cabins for the next two cruises. I think I did okay avoiding the pillars with my choices and once I am asleep, I tend to sleep through the noises.

Edited by Peregrina651

On 6/4/2019 at 6:15 PM, Jim Avery said:

Yes.  By that I was referring to "take it or leave it" so to speak.  Viking will not give any compensation to booked guests for any price drops, Viking tells Travel Agents what they can and cannot give to their clients, Viking flat out lied to Inaugural WC guests about our "special events" in Shanghai.  And this is in great part to Viking being so popular and selling so well.  Not many other lines could get away with demanding full pay a year out.  So that is some of what I was referring to.  If the onboard experience with the excellent crew was not so right up our alley I am sure we would have  made different choices.  We all weigh our options and make our decisions. 🍸

Thanks for taking the time to respond.  I do not, however think that Viking is any more “high handed” than any other cruise line (or any other business for that matter).  Each company establishes their own parameters and we as consumers decide whether or not we wish to avail ourselves of their products or services within the parameters they have created. 

58 minutes ago, molymoo said:

Thanks for taking the time to respond.  I do not, however think that Viking is any more “high handed” than any other cruise line (or any other business for that matter).  Each company establishes their own parameters and we as consumers decide whether or not we wish to avail ourselves of their products or services within the parameters they have created. 

Sounds like we are pretty much on the same page.🍸

The one thing that was offered  by Viking in paying the cruise off that I have never had offered on any other cruise line I have been on  (and I have cruised on many), was the discount on the cruise if funds were transferred electronically.

I don't remember the percentage, but as I was paying for two cabins plus air plus pre and post cruise extensions, it was a very nice amount of money saved.

17 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

The one thing that was offered  by Viking in paying the cruise off that I have never had offered on any other cruise line I have been on  (and I have cruised on many), was the discount on the cruise if funds were transferred electronically.

I don't remember the percentage, but as I was paying for two cabins plus air plus pre and post cruise extensions, it was a very nice amount of money saved.

I believe it is 3%

3 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Besides the fact this isn’t offered I believe outside USA, the reason I pay by credit card is that it offers better consumer protection. 

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

Besides the fact this isn’t offered I believe outside USA, the reason I pay by credit card is that it offers better consumer protection. 

LOL - Given your screen name, I thought you might have have a small can to save money in for your cruising. 

Just an FYI for anyone  looking for information on cabins and potential noise during normal ship operations.

As discussed above, during port calls in which noise can be heard from the use of the lifeboats as tenders, there is another noise drawback to being on a ship with only balcony cabins. That is noise from equipment on the dock as supplies and luggage are loaded and unloaded from the ship.

The opening through which these operations occur are on the side of the ship and, depending on how the ship is docked,  may occur under your cabin location.

Because neither the scientific principle of osmosis nor the magical spell of Wingardium Leviosa has found to be effective for the loading and unloading operations, heavy equipment will be used and there will be noise.

This is common for any cruise ship with balcony cabins (and ocean view cabins on other lines) and is a normal part of any cruise experience.

So there will be noise and one may find that afternoon nap disturbed or evening or pre dawn noise if needed to load and unload supplies or luggage from the ship.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

Viking used five tenders in Santiago de Cuba last year. The dock to ship run was about a half hour.

Wow, that is a long trip into the port. Have tendered extensively, both as a pax and driving them, but never anywhere close to a 1/2 run. Easy day for those driving, as way less dockings.🙂