How hard to move cabins?

bendigoboy

We are booked on a B2B in October out of San Francisco on Grand Princess. We have got a window suite for the first leg but have to move to a mini suite for the second cruise (no windows available as yet!). How do Princess organise this? Do we have to repack everything in our cases again or is assistance given to move articles? And when does this happen, like what is the time line (especially if it has happened to you!) . It obviously can't start till the people in the other cabin have left the ship (and the room is prepared?). Any help from people who have done this before would be greatly appreciated!

My experience is you pack up.drawers/toiletries in suitcases. Items on hangers stay. Room attendant #1 coordinates a time with Room attendant #2 and then they move your things. Meanwhile you either do a walkoff and sightsee or meet others doing B2B for a walkthrough of immigration and early back on ship.

Easy.

We did not have any problems other than DH forgetting his car key in the safe. He was able to retrieve it eventually from the new occupants of our previous cabin. I now pack quart ziplock bags to put everything in before putting it in the safe.

I'm doing back-to-back cruises later this month. I'm still waiting for my cabin assignments. I'm going solo on these cruises, so it will be even easier to get ready for the move.

Make sure you're on the waitlist for the window suite just in case one becomes available. There's a lot of time between now and October for someone to cancel.

Co-ordinate with your cabin stewards. They will arrange the move. Place as much on hangers as you can. These items will be hung on a trolley, moved and hung in your new closet. Other items should be placed into your suitcase. Clear out your safe. Carry meds. with you. Enjoy breakfast and then visit your new cabin/cabin steward after 8am. He/she may allow you to place items into your new cabin's safe. Make certain you follow all the immigration details provided. If you have not done a b2b at a U.S. port before note that you are required by law to go through immigration. 

The night before the end of your first cruise you will get a letter explaining everything you will need to do on turn around day.  It has been my experience that on some ships you have to physically walk off the ship and go through customs and on others at Port Everglades, you will meet in a designated location sign off the ship there and clear customs on the ship and resign back on the ship while leaving that location, never really walking off the ship.

You might do a walk by of the stateroom to which you are moving to check their luggage tag color. This will give you an idea of when you might be able to move your items. Of course, we shoot for after 9:00. Also, make contact with your new steward, so that they don't leave the new room door wide open during the entire cleaning process.

38 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

You might do a walk by of the stateroom to which you are moving to check their luggage tag color. This will give you an idea of when you might be able to move your items. Of course, we shoot for after 9:00. Also, make contact with your new steward, so that they don't leave the new room door wide open during the entire cleaning process.

The cabin should be empty by 8am or shortly thereafter. All disembarking passengers are requested to vacate their cabins by 8am. 

The last time we had to change cabins the occupants who were in our go to cabin left a do-not-disturb sign on their door & the steward refused to knock of their door to start his clean up. ☹️ 

This caused us to be late for the immigration walk through. 

The only time we had to change cabins was a total disaster. We were told the new room steward would get our cabin ready as soon as previous people left so the move could happen nice and early. Problem was they didn't leave and at 9:30 were still sleeping.  We didn't get our belongings into our new cabin till almost 10:30am. Also didn't have keys to the new cabin once our stuff was put inside. We actually had to pick up our room key at check in. I think this was a total screwup on Princess' part.Happened in LA. about 4 years ago.

1 hour ago, san diego sue said:

The only time we had to change cabins was a total disaster. We were told the new room steward would get our cabin ready as soon as previous people left so the move could happen nice and early. Problem was they didn't leave and at 9:30 were still sleeping.  We didn't get our belongings into our new cabin till almost 10:30am. Also didn't have keys to the new cabin once our stuff was put inside. We actually had to pick up our room key at check in. I think this was a total screwup on Princess' part.Happened in LA. about 4 years ago.

We had bad experience as well.  Last year on Golden, first room steward asked us when we plan to move and how to move, without any experiences on this, we told him we will pack and move on our own.  We walked by new room night before and morning on the moving date.  New room had "no disturbing" sign out, we checked and checked, new room steward just said they are still in there, that's it.   Till 10:30am, old room steward asked us to move out, we told him new room is not ready.  He reported to his boss, then mover called, told us to wait another 20 mins for room to be cleaned.  So we wasted all morning, running between two floors, and waited for the new room to be cleared.  It was awful.

Has anyone experienced changing cabins on a MedallionClass ship?

We recently had B2B 7-day cruises in the same cabin & had one Ocean Medallion for both cruises.  By moving to a different cabin between cruises would we receive two OMs?

Or maybe somewhere onboard they can reprogram our OM?  Or does the device’s programming automatically change cabin access for the second cruise?  Or does the onboard system change the cabin because as I recall the OM doesn’t contain personal information but accesses the ship’s system?

Edited by Astro Flyer

2 minutes ago, idahospud said:

We just finished a B2B on the Royal. We changed cabins, kept the same Medallion, and didn't have to do a thing to make it work on the second cabin. It just did it automatically. 

Received a reply to my question also posted on the OM sticky thread...it’s easy! 👍

When we have moved cabins, we went to the "new" cabin the night before the end of the first cruise and introduced ourselves to the "new" cabin steward. In each case, he said he would then clean that cabin first so our stuff could be moved in, but of course, this plan is disrupted if the passengers leaving do not vacate by 8am as they are requested to do. We had that happen once. We were waiting outside the "new" cabin when the leaving passengers came back around 9am after having a leisurely breakfast in the dining room.😕

You don't have to be there to move cabins.  Just leave your things on hangers and packed in luggage, tell your Room Steward and go do what you want.  By the time you get back your new cabin will be ready and have all your things in it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Plant said:

You don't have to be there to move cabins.  Just leave your things on hangers and packed in luggage, tell your Room Steward and go do what you want.  By the time you get back your new cabin will be ready and have all your things in it.

i've had bad luck with moving cabins. the first time, i had introduced myself to the new steward, i told my old steward. i'd packed up. i called the desk (twice)... nothing. no one came to move me. i was ready well before 8am and by 10, still nothing. back and forth to the new cabin to see if it was ready (yup). back to the old cabin where i packed up completely and brought my own suitcases to the new cabin. it was stressful! thankfully it was in whittier where i didn't have a tour so wasn't missing anything.

not once have i had the good experiences you folks on this thread did. it gives me hope that it can work out though! i have a b2b this fall and i hope first of all that i get assigned the same cabin and secondly, if i don't, that things go much more smoothly!

Edited by cdngrl

16 hours ago, sunny88 said:

We had bad experience as well.  Last year on Golden, first room steward asked us when we plan to move and how to move, without any experiences on this, we told him we will pack and move on our own.  We walked by new room night before and morning on the moving date.  New room had "no disturbing" sign out, we checked and checked, new room steward just said they are still in there, that's it.   Till 10:30am, old room steward asked us to move out, we told him new room is not ready.  He reported to his boss, then mover called, told us to wait another 20 mins for room to be cleaned.  So we wasted all morning, running between two floors, and waited for the new room to be cleared.  It was awful.

Same in our case. The cabin steward said he wasn't allowed to knock on the door. Period. I guess the cutoff time is around 10:30 after all.

At around 9 or 9:15 I pounded on the door with the do not disturb sign on it to find that they were long gone. I want to believe it was an honest mistake.

16 hours ago, sunny88 said:
12 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

When we have moved cabins, we went to the "new" cabin the night before the end of the first cruise and introduced ourselves to the "new" cabin steward. In each case, he said he would then clean that cabin first so our stuff could be moved in, but of course, this plan is disrupted if the passengers leaving do not vacate by 8am as they are requested to do. We had that happen once. We were waiting outside the "new" cabin when the leaving passengers came back around 9am after having a leisurely breakfast in the dining room.😕

We had to change cabins a number of times & only once did we have problems like described but I'm beginning to think it happens more often than not since people leaving the ship are not that considerate. 

You would have though that with the medallions the cabin stewards would know if people are still in their cabins and not still at breakfast. 

Also- We prefer to move our own clothing, thank you.