New Carnival Announcement regarding Cuba Cruises

Writerfl

2 minutes ago, Sean_B said:

It's based on the port being missed, not cabin category; nor should it be based on cabin category! Do you think suite or balcony guests are more important than inside cabin guests if they're all missing the same port?? Jesus, some people will complain about anything.

Right. I think they are being very generous. This is NOT due to Carnival. Any OBC beyond port fees is above and beyond.

I'm booked on a 1/20/2020 sailing to Cuba. 

Yes, CCL does post in the fine print that they can change ports if necessary.  Yes, therefore CCL doesn't technically have to do anything. 

However, in these extenuating circumstances, it is a valid argument that those of us affected should have options.  Due to the specific nature of the Cuban cruise, those sailings are far more expensive than the same type of sailing to the Bahamas and/or upper Caribbean.  That's the "issue" with the $100 OBC offer that those currently sailing are having a problem with.  For example, I can currently book a Cozumel & Cayman cruise for half what this Cuban one was going to cost.  They haven't announced the options for the sailings that are farther out, so I'm waiting to see what those are.  Due to the length of time between now and January, I wouldn't expect extra compensation or the OBC offer.  What I do expect is to be able to get my non-refundable deposit back.  Therefore, depending on the new ports, I can either cancel and rebook when they lower the rates, choose the C&C noted above, or make other arrangements entirely.   

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Sean_B said:

It's based on the port being missed, not cabin category; nor should it be based on cabin category! Do you think suite or balcony guests are more important than inside cabin guests if they're all missing the same port?? Jesus, some people will complain about anything.

So, obviously you think that people that purchased inside rooms are more important, to the point that they deserve the same onboard credit as someone that purchased a suite. $100 OBC isn't crap, when you take into consideration that our rates were based  with including medical insurance that we no longer need. Port fees were much, much higher, than a regular cruise to the Caribbean. Carnival is making money off of these OBCs, compared to what is being offered as a substitute. You obviously didn't have a cruise booked to Cuba, or if you did, you got a cheap inside room, and will enjoy your $100 per person OBC.  Oh, and also love how you used the name of "Jesus" in your ridiculous response.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, lovelights said:

So, obviously you think that people that purchased inside rooms are more important, to the point that they deserve the same onboard credit as someone that purchased a suite. $100 OBC isn't crap, when you take into consideration that our rates were based  with including medical insurance that we no longer need. Port fees were much, much higher, than a regular cruise to the Caribbean. Carnival is making money off of these OBCs, compared to what is being offered as a substitute. You obviously didn't have a cruise booked to Cuba, or if you did, you got a cheap inside room, and will enjoy your $100 per person OBC.  Oh, and also love how you used the name of "Jesus" in your ridiculous response.

All the passengers are missing the same port so you all get the same compensation. No reasonable, competent person thinks that just because you have a higher category of cabin that you should get more compensation. That's ridiculous.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, CynLovesCrusing said:

I'm booked on a 1/20/2020 sailing to Cuba. 

Yes, CCL does post in the fine print that they can change ports if necessary.  Yes, therefore CCL doesn't technically have to do anything. 

However, in these extenuating circumstances, it is a valid argument that those of us affected should have options.  Due to the specific nature of the Cuban cruise, those sailings are far more expensive than the same type of sailing to the Bahamas and/or upper Caribbean.  That's the "issue" with the $100 OBC offer that those currently sailing are having a problem with.  For example, I can currently book a Cozumel & Cayman cruise for half what this Cuban one was going to cost.  They haven't announced the options for the sailings that are farther out, so I'm waiting to see what those are.  Due to the length of time between now and January, I wouldn't expect extra compensation or the OBC offer.  What I do expect is to be able to get my non-refundable deposit back.  Therefore, depending on the new ports, I can either cancel and rebook when they lower the rates, choose the C&C noted above, or make other arrangements entirely.   

I would imagine that with the time given, you'll be given the option for a full refund or stay with the itinerary they option for you. I can see Carnival only giving $50 OBC per person due to the time gap (meaning you have the option to cancel and/or rebook).

2 minutes ago, Sean_B said:

All the passengers are missing the same port so you all get the same compensation. No reasonable, competent person thinks that just because you have a higher category of cabin that you should get more compensation. That's ridiculous.

So, you're saying that if you were to purchase a cruise through a travel agent, that it's not fair that they would give a $50 OBC to those that book an inside room or oceanview, and then give $100 OBC to those that book a balcony or suite at double and triple the price? That would be ridiculous for them to offer that? Ridiculous would be paying $1,700 to go to the Bahamas or Cozumel on a 5 day cruise with the $100 per person OBC being a drop in the hat. You can get a balcony room for 2 people on a 7 day cruise to the Caribbean for less than that. It's not about being ridiculous, it's about being sensible with your money when it comes to your vacation.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, lovelights said:

So, you're saying that if you were to purchase a cruise through a travel agent, that it's not fair that they would give a $50 OBC to those that book an inside room or oceanview, and then give $100 OBC to those that book a balcony or suite at double and triple the price? That would be ridiculous for them to offer that? Ridiculous would be paying $1,700 to go to the Bahamas or Cozumel on a 5 day cruise with the $100 per person OBC being a drop in the hat. You can get a balcony room for 2 people on a 7 day cruise to the Caribbean for less than that. It's not about being ridiculous, it's about being sensible with your money when it comes to your vacation.

I think you're confusing a TA giving up some of their commission to give you OBC as a sales incentive (which is what they're doing), with a good faith gesture by Carnival over something in which they have zero control (missing the port).

If you don't like it, take their offer to cancel with a full refund and be done with it. Seems fairly simple.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Sean_B said:

I think you're confusing a TA giving up some of their commission to give you OBC as a sales incentive (which is what they're doing), with a good faith gesture by Carnival over something in which they have zero control (missing the port).

If you don't like it, take their offer to cancel with a full refund and be done with it. Seems fairly simple.

Yep, I agree. It's very simple. Have a wonderful day.

• Like 1

Just now, HUNNY BUN said:

It would be nice if this thread was kept to giving helpful information regarding this situation and not bickering back and forth between posters.  Just sayin'.....

So discussions regarding the pros and cons of a perceived benefit aren't allowed; we're only allowed to have "happy" posts?

I guess I don't need to be here then. Hope everyone has a wonderful cruise, wherever you may be going 🙂

22 minutes ago, Sean_B said:

I would imagine that with the time given, you'll be given the option for a full refund or stay with the itinerary they option for you. I can see Carnival only giving $50 OBC per person due to the time gap (meaning you have the option to cancel and/or rebook).

My problem with staying with the itinerary they will offer is a cruise to Cuba is way more expensive than a 5 day cruise to the Bahamas. I would expect the price I'm paying to be adjusted accordingly. 

• Like 3

I have been reading this and was wondering something.  Was the cruises that included Cuba more expensive than if it didnt include Cuba?  What I am thinking is that if there were two 7 day cruises out of the same port and stopped at basically the same places but one had Havana and the other maybe San Juan would the Havana cruise just be more money?   And if so would this OBC cover the difference?  Just my head full of questions. 

Carnival just posted an update for the remainder of 2019 and 2020-

Cuba Update - 06/05/19 – 2:00 PM (EDT)

We want to provide you with important information regarding your upcoming trip to Havana, Cuba. 
The U.S. government has imposed a series of new sanctions on Cuba prohibiting travel via cruise ship and rescinding certain categories of authorized travel, which previously allowed U.S. citizens to visit Cuba under the People-to-People program. Effective immediately, cruise ship travel is no longer allowed and we are required to cancel our visit to Havana. We have replaced our call to Havana with a replacement port to provide our guests with the best experience ashore. 

We are in the process of notifying our other guests of their new itineraries and their options, in the order of sailing date proximity. Mailings for sailings through the end of December 2019 are now in progress and include the following options:

• Remain on the sailing and receive a US$100.00, per person, onboard credit (no need to call us if you are continuing with your plans to sail with us).
• Move to another itinerary and receive a US$50.00, per person, onboard credit.
• Cancel and receive a full refund. 

Guests who were booked to travel on a 2020 sailing that included Havana will have the opportunity to remain on the sailing, move to another itinerary (note: no onboard credit will be offered in either case) or cancel and receive a full refund. Mailings with itinerary details will be sent in the next 2-3 days. 

5 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

It will be interesting to see what other cruise lines are offering their passengers.  This doesn't just affect Carnival you know!

I am so VERY GLAD that I went a couple of weeks ago (I just knew this would happen).  But also sad because I loved Havana so much I booked on Sunrise for next April.  Pretty sure I booked ES so, hopefully, they'll waive the penalty on that one because I certainly am not flying to FLL to take a generic Western 5-night sailing.

I know how disappointing this is for the other Americans who wanted to go to Cuba.  I had wanted to visit there all my life (mostly because I wasn't allowed to go) and it was everything I had hoped it would be.  This makes me very sad😥.

RCI is giving their passengers scheduled for Cuba this week 50% of their cruise fare in OBC. If not used it will go back on their credit card. Of course they could always cash it out.

Well poop!!  I'm booked in 2020 and don't get an onboard credit :-(  I'll have to wait and see what the new itinerary is before deciding to stay on scheduled cruise or switch to another Carnival ship.  I've already been looking and the Pride is sailing the same week as the Sunshine just out of another port.

• Like 1

I think Carnival is being fair from my point of view.  Overnight the government tells them they can't go to Cuba anymore.  What are they supposed to do?  They're offering OBC and full refunds.  They can't sell a stop in Cuba, so they're offering another stop or another sea day.  Take it or leave it.  (I'd take it if I were booked.)

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Chandra76 said:

Well poop!!  I'm booked in 2020 and don't get an onboard credit 😞 I'll have to wait and see what the new itinerary is before deciding to stay on scheduled cruise or switch to another Carnival ship.  I've already been looking and the Pride is sailing the same week as the Sunshine just out of another port.

I'm right there with you! Booked for January 2020, so we don't get OBC, while others do. We are just as upset not to go as everyone else. Won't be rescheduling because this is our first back to back. Will just have to take what we get I guess. Bummer!

I am also disappointed in the lack of OBC.  We have already selected a different cruise (7 nights instead of 5, southern Caribbean from San Juan with five ports instead of Cuba and Nassau) for only $39 pp more.  My question is, if there will be no OBC for 2020 formerly Cuba cruises, will the cruise fare be lowered to non-Cuba levels?  Seems like they will have to be in order to fill the ship.  I was ready to change to the other itinerary immediately, but will now wait to see just how this plays out.

7 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Carnival is doing the right thing and they really have no choice, but, replacing Cozumel for Cuba I would not be happy at all, I feel bad for everybody who wanted to see Cuba (I am so glad I went last year and wanted to go back) but things happen for good reason.

We were going to Cuba and Cozumel.i like Cozumel ,grand Cayman we have been there twice seen hell twice a third time would be hell.im cancelling got a 7 day in August going to Cozumel,grand Cayman,ocho Rios and msc private island.ill move my funds to that one.i prepaid my Cuba tour so I might be out of that money.ive sailed carnival 4 times the first 2 were great minor hiccups the last 2 not so great.id rather spend my money elsewhere.just my opinion.i don't work anymore so a cruise is better than going to work doesn't play with me.

Carnival clearly has no say in the new restriction.  I can understand how disappointing this is for people wanting to visit Cuba since they haven't been able to until recently.  While the new restriction is disappointing and frustrating to travelers, Carnival didn't have to offer any compensation.  The $100obc seem more generous than usual for events that occur beyond Carnival's control.  The other options seem fair to me as well...potentially disappointing and frustrating to some, but fair.  Carnival, I applaud you for handling this in a swift and classy manner.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, midwestman said:

The $100obc seem more generous than usual for events that occur beyond Carnival's control.  The other options seem fair to me as well...potentially disappointing and frustrating to some, but fair.  

Royal is offering 50% refund of your cruise fare ...... $100 OBC PP you won't get back doesn't seem quite as generous now, does it?  I was supposed to go August 3rd and what Royal is offering is fair ....... I have airfare booked and it's not refundable  so options to cancel aren't that easy without a $600 loss. Carnival, match Royal Caribbean and what they are doing for their guests ....... Cozumel and Grand Cayman is no replacement for an overnight in Havana .......

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 1

For those who have not heard from Carnival yet - I just got my email about it. My cruise was for August 3rd leaving from Tampa. The replacement offer is Sea Day - Grand Cayman - Cozumel - Sea Day - Back to Tampa. Which is actually a cruise I have been on before (ironically, on the Paradise a few years ago LOL).  

I am on the phone with them now and will be requesting the refund option. So if you are an August passenger, you should be hearing from them very soon!  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MarilynR26 said:

For those who have not heard from Carnival yet - I just got my email about it. My cruise was for August 3rd leaving from Tampa. The replacement offer is Sea Day - Grand Cayman - Cozumel - Sea Day - Back to Tampa. Which is actually a cruise I have been on before (ironically, on the Paradise a few years ago LOL).  

I am on the phone with them now and will be requesting the refund option. So if you are an August passenger, you should be hearing from them very soon!  

I'm on that sailing as well and wish there was a viable alternative that week but coming back on a thursday makes it impossible with airfare booked already .......

7 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

I'm on that sailing as well and wish there was a viable alternative that week but coming back on a thursday makes it impossible with airfare booked already .......

Yeah the airfare part is tough...I'm sorry. Airlines are not real flexible, unfortunately. 😞

4 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I am also disappointed in the lack of OBC.  We have already selected a different cruise (7 nights instead of 5, southern Caribbean from San Juan with five ports instead of Cuba and Nassau) for only $39 pp more.  My question is, if there will be no OBC for 2020 formerly Cuba cruises, will the cruise fare be lowered to non-Cuba levels?  Seems like they will have to be in order to fill the ship.  I was ready to change to the other itinerary immediately, but will now wait to see just how this plays out.

For cruises that far out, you are outside the final payment window at this point.  You could just cancel and re-book to get the lower price.

Edited by loanshark