FLL->Miami - Public Transit or am I crazy

Sabalon

We are flying into FLL on a Friday around noon, staying overnight at the Hyatt Regency Downtown Miami and then cruising out Saturday.   

It is my wife and myself.  I'll have my suitcase and backpack.  My wife will, well, I'll try to get her to pack lightly.   Probably suitcase, another bag and "carryon"

My initial plan was FLL->TriRail->MetroMover->Hotel.   However I just realized this morning that the TriRail and MetroMover don't connect and it would have to be

FLL->TriRail->MetroRail->MetroMover->Hotel   (I understand there is a shuttle from FLL to the TriRail station)

I usually don't mind dealing with the luggage,  but is this going to be too much of a pain with luggage?  Usually once your on the transit, it's not bad - it's just getting to the platform, and getting situated.  But I'm used to MARTA in Atlanta (about like the MetroRail I guess)

I've never used Uber or Lyft, but am starting to lean towards that.  With their price estimator, it's only a little bit more than the cost of the Tri-Rail and MetroRail for two people.  And with "welcome" coupons, that brings them closer.  I wouldn't think we'd need the UberXL, which doubles the price.  I'm thinking that if my daughter can drop us and luggage all off in her Kia Soul then a normal Uber should suffice.    Honestly, I just don't know if I want to spend 40 minutes in a car with a stranger - neither of us are that social and small talk is not our thing.  1st world problems!

Or perhaps a hybrid - FLL->Tri-Rail->MIA->Uber to Hotel - less hassle of luggage moving, less Uber cost

Words of wisdom from someone who has done it this way?  Is it worth the money we'd save?  This anniversary cruise has already taken on a life of its own!

Edited by Sabalon
  • Thanks 1

Uber and Lyft would address several issues for you.  Luggage goes in at the cruise terminal, and comes out at the hotel. No schlepping in between.

I enjoy train travel, and would consider the Virgin Trains / BrightLine higher speed train.  But I don't think it or Tri-Rail offers  a significant advantage in this situation

UberX or standard Lyft will easily hold the 2 of you and bags and the fare from ALL to your hotel should be about $35+; another $10+ Uber the next morning will get you to the port. You will spend lots of time connecting travel modes to save almost nothing if you go for the train, etc. Taxi fare compared to Uber/Lyft will be about double.

Mass transportation in south Florida sucks. It’s not like in other major cities that have a well established, efficient, and reliable system. Save yourself the aggravation, pay a little more for Uber/Lyft/Taxi, etc and start your vacation on the right note. 

I would use Uber.  I was nervous about using them the first time too, but it was fine.  As far as talking to a stranger, the Uber driver who took us from FLL to a Miami hotel said less than 10 words to us the entire trip.   I liked it better than a taxi because I knew what I was going to be charged ahead of time.  With a taxi, I never know.

FLL->Tri-Rail->MIA->Uber to Hotel

This will work and is not as complicated as it may seem....but the better choice, imo, if you want to use public transit would be...

FLL (or PBI)>Uber>Virgin Trains>Uber>Hotel.  The train part of the trip is approx 30 minutes (from FLL) and has the advantage of avoiding rush hour traffic in the Miami area.

In either case I suggest that you use Uber/Lyft for part or all of your trip so that you are familiar with it.  It works well, we love it.

3 hours ago, thinfool said:

FLL->Tri-Rail->MIA->Uber to Hotel

This will work and is not as complicated as it may seem....but the better choice, imo, if you want to use public transit would be...

FLL (or PBI)>Uber>Virgin Trains>Uber>Hotel.  The train part of the trip is approx 30 minutes (from FLL) and has the advantage of avoiding rush hour traffic in the Miami area.

In either case I suggest that you use Uber/Lyft for part or all of your trip so that you are familiar with it.  It works well, we love it.

That just takes longer and might be more expensive. 

To the OP Uber/Lyft. Don't over think it. You would be wasting a lot of time trying to save a few bucks. 

Grab and Uber and enjoy a start to your vacation. 

Thanks all.    I see I'm doing a lot to save a little!  The train timetable was one concern - if you don't nail it right, you're waiting an hour.  My wife won't like sitting around for an hour - in south Florida heat.  
Plan was to uber to Skyline Chili while waiting for our return flight, but dang...just going 10 miles in Ft Lauterdale is a lot more than I expected!

There is no good reason at all to mess with trains, bus, etc.  Get in an uber and get where you're going :classic_smile: 

If you haven't used uber or lyft before, they may even offer you a discount coupon when you download the apps.

My thanks to the OP for posting this question and to all of you who chimed in with advice. For goofy reasons, I'm seriously considering booking a hotel for two nights in Miami pre-cruise even though I'm flying in to FLL and sailing out of Port Everglades. I just figured I'd like to check out Miami for a day. So I cam here looking for exactly this type of advice.

I'm assuming that most Miami hotels won't offer shuttle service to Port Everglades?

• Like 1

No Miami hotels offer free shuttles to Port Everglades because it is a 30-45+ minute drive each way.

Enjoy bcc visiting Miami and Miami Beach and then UBER or Lyft to PE for your ship!

43 minutes ago, JohninDC said:

No Miami hotels offer free shuttles to Port Everglades because it is a 30-45+ minute drive each way.

Enjoy bcc visiting Miami and Miami Beach and then UBER or Lyft to PE for your ship!

Yeah. I definitely wasn't expecting free since most hotels in FLL don't even offer free shuttles to the terminal. So I'm quite prepared to pay.

I'm thinking I'll book a room at the InterContinental Miami for two nights since I can get one of those nights free. Then I'll just take an Uber from FLL to the hotel on the Friday that I arrive and another Uber from the hotel to Port Everglades on Sunday morning. Even with the Uber fees, I think I'll come out ahead of what two nights in FLL would cost me.