Barcelona Hotel Recommendation Needed

dag144

I will be in Barcelona from October 31st through November 4th (four nights).  I usually stay at the Avenida Palace (four stars).  It is very nice hotel near Las Ramblas and my price is also good, $167/night.  Since I have stayed at this hotel three times in the near past, it's time to change.  Any ideas for a hotel in the Las Ramblas area (with a mile or so) for about the same price or less.  I have often got excellent advice on hotels using this forum.  Look for to some ideas!  Thanks

We just stayed at the H10 Catalunya Plaza Boutique Hotel.  Excellent location.  Metro underground station right outside the door.  Bus stop just steps away.  Cab stand right in front of the hotel.  Las Ramblas less than 5 minutes away.  Many restaurants, cafes, bars, McDonalds less than 2 minute walk.

We had a deluxe room and it was quite nice.  There is an elevator (and stairs), but it is very small and old and sometimes not working.  Always told the same thing.........it's getting fixed soon.  We just used the stairs most of the time.  Other than that, great hotel in a great location.

I recommend you head over to the Spain Ports of Call forum.  People will have many recommendations for you.

I've only stayed at the Hotel Continental on La Rambla.  My friends who I was traveling with made the reservations for us.  It was a marvelous location and if you have a La Rambla room, you have a little balcony with a table and chair to sit on and watch the tourists go by.  But, to me, it was rather seedy for a 3-star (spanish hospitality rating) place. All the pink accessories and wallpaper made me think of a bordello.  The "dresser" was a little Rubbermaid-type plastic storage thing. The "24 hour buffet" was horrendous - things sat out for hours.   The photos on the website now look like they got rid of the plastic and put in some actual wood pieces.  I still don't know if I'd go there again, even at a good price point.   Hopefully, there will be better recommendations for you from others.  

We always stay at EUROSTAR GRAND MARINA HOTEL.

Good location for the blue bus, right there for Las Ramblas, across from the harbor is their indoor mall and a wonderful outdoor seafood restaurant we always go to.From the hotel Las Ramblas is right down the street 5 minute walk. We love crossing the small harbor where they have an expansion bridge to the mall, and we have even gone down to the zoo and the beautiful park there.

We love also Barcelona Hilton on Avenida Diagonal great location where the tram and subway are!! Will be their a week next May. Since husband is a diamond member we were able to get a nice stay on points. We will walk to our favorite Tapas bar called Tapas 24.

Denise😊 

1 hour ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

We always stay at EUROSTAR GRAND MARINA HOTEL.

We always stay here to, Its nice to be away from the hustle and bustle of Las Ramblas, but only a stones throw away.

• Like 1

Hotel H10 Raco del Pi -- nice boutique hotel with a modern interior inside an old building on a charming placa that is close to La Ramblas but far enough away to avoid some of the crowds and noise.

I have stayed at the Eurostars Grand Marina but it struck me as a convention-type hotel. Very large and impersonal. Large rooms and very good breakfast though.

I stayed at Hotel Avenida Palace last year and although well located the rooms were a bit dated (at least mine was). 

Hotel Colon is in a great location and, if there is availability, they offer discounted rates for booking early.  Large terrace rooms are quite nice. 🙂 

Agree with others - hit the Spain port boards as there are a lot of nice hotels in Barcelona.

Since we only get there once a year, we love staying on La Ramblas and enjoy a balcony view overlooking all the activities and outdoor dining. We've stayed at Hotel Oriente Atiram twice and will continue to return. It's closer to the port than it is to the far end of Las Ramblas. Our 2018 price was approximately 160 Euro, including a hot breakfast. 

For those of you who have stayed at Hotel Jazz, what is the best way to get to there from the airport?  There will be 4 adults.

Also, could someone recommend a restaurant nearby.  Doesn't have to be fancy as we will be there only one night and probably have a case of jetlag.

Another vote for the Aerobus.  I wasn't sure about the correct stop to get off and went one past but still walkable even with luggage.  Inexpensive and relatively quick.

For restaurants, the first day (we got in about 7AM), we ended up at a Ramen place in the Gothic quarter because it was clear but cold and we wanted soup.  We ate at Ciudad Condal for tapas the 2nd night which we enjoyed - very busy and we had about a 30 minute wait but worth it (menus in Spanish and English).  The first night we were so jet lagged and tired from walking around until about 6PM we just went to bed.  There was a bag of chips in the room and some pretzels or something that we had when we woke up about 10PM then back to bed!

Here's a link to a YouTube couple I've been following for years about what to eat in Barcelona:

https://youtu.be/cTr3lwB_I14

They made a point that said don't pay attention to what everyone says about what to eat/drink in a particular location but go with what you want to try.  For example, they said that everyone said to avoid the paella in Barcelona since it isn't native to Barcelona but Valencia.  However, if this was their only time in Spain, why not try it - you only miss out.  They also said they had good ones and bad ones!  Here's a link to their livestream (https://youtu.be/Tb5hbvLrOoo)

Hope this helps.

Edited by DougandEric