Best course of action for a lost bag that never made it to the Seattle port valet?

NutsAboutGolf

Have somewhat of an unique situation with a lost bag.  I get that often what can happen is someone grabs the wrong back by mistake but here’s what happened to me.  I did the port valet service (bag should go from ship to port valet to the airport, I put the tag on and as I was putting my bag out of my cabin, there were porters right there so I actually saw one take it.  After I landed and saw my bag wasn’t on the baggage carousel after it stopped I checked the status online and it said “There are no updates on your order at this time, Please contact Bags Customer Service”  I call Bags Inc and they state the baggage tag was NEVER scanned so I should contact celebrity and the reps best guess is that it’s still on the ship.  I call celebrity and they said all I can do is file a lost and found claim, which I did that day.  I haven’t received any updated communication, I called them again today and they said the item has still not been found.  I suppose when the ship disembarks on its next sailing this Friday it could pop up again, but if it doesn’t, what recourse will I have?  Are there any other avenues I should take beyond the lost the found claim?

9DF166A5-301C-44DA-9F71-92A9EAF1B57C.jpeg

20 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

Did you check with the port directly?

I emailed the lost luggage dept at rccl (found their email address on here); they replied: "I emailed our ground handler in Seattle."  So perhaps this will increase my odds of them finding it.

8 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I emailed the lost luggage dept at rccl (found their email address on here); they replied: "I emailed our ground handler in Seattle."  So perhaps this will increase my odds of them finding it.

Fingers crossed! 

On 6/10/2019 at 10:18 AM, NutsAboutGolf said:

Have somewhat of an unique situation with a lost bag.  I get that often what can happen is someone grabs the wrong back by mistake but here’s what happened to me.  I did the port valet service (bag should go from ship to port valet to the airport...........

As most travel industry employees know, the more times your bag gets transferred while it is out of your sight, the greater the chance that something will go wrong.

But even knowing that, many of us are willing to take the risk when we are on our way home because we can get along without the items in the checked bag for an extended period of time, if necessary.

If it is a bag that is important to have and we can't carry it on board, it is best to check it in at the airport ourselves, preferably for a direct non-stop flight, if that is possible.

When using luggage valet, there are too many places for potential problems:

- Was the bag left on the ship or taken off?

-  Was it left at the cruise port?

(Or possibly even dumped into the water while offloading, which has been known to happen.)

- Did it get loaded onto the correct transfer vehicle and taken to the airport?

-  At the airport, was it taken off at the correct airline, or was it taken off at all?

-  Was it checked in with the correct airline?

- Did it get loaded on the correct flight?

- If a change of equipment or connecting flight was involved, was it transferred correctly?

- Was it unloaded at the correct final destination?

Generally what happens is that when most people try the ship's valet service, they initially encounter no problem, so they love it and rave about it ------ until the trip when their own bag doesn't show up.

When using the valet service, most bags that get delayed or mis-routed do turn up eventually, if that is of any consolation to you.  So at this point I would say to just be patient and keep checking on it.

Edited by varoo
  • Like 1

Received a text and email that nothing was found from my lost and found claim and heard nothing from the RCCL rep who emailed me.  I didn’t get travel insurance and the credit card situation isn’t looking good.

The kicker is that bags inc said the suitcase was never scanned so I don’t know if that helps my case at all.  Anyone happen to know the process with how scanning works in Seattle?  Would celebrity scan the bag at all before off loading it at the port?

20 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Received a text and email that nothing was found from my lost and found claim and heard nothing from the RCCL rep who emailed me.  I didn’t get travel insurance and the credit card situation isn’t looking good.

The kicker is that bags inc said the suitcase was never scanned so I don’t know if that helps my case at all.  Anyone happen to know the process with how scanning works in Seattle?  Would celebrity scan the bag at all before off loading it at the port?

Sorry to read about your lost luggage. I don't know if this will help.

There is a poster (pierlesscruser) who posts on the rollcalls for Cruises departing from Seattle, he seems to know a lot and I believe, works in some capacity at the pier.

If you quote one of his posts on your roll call, that may get his attention and perhaps he can offer some guidance.

The more hands that touch the bags,  more chance of a loss.

We put  ID info inside..in case  tags rip off.

Maybe post something on the Seattle port board,  and inquire about your dates there with description of the bag,, Sorry !

7 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Wouldn't it have to be a port working?  I'd imagine tagged port valet bags aren't just sitting around.

Yes, if it was never scanned someone took it early in the process. Perhaps they gave it a new tag to a different destination.

Edited by ipeeinthepool

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bEwAbG said:

Any updates, OP?  Someone on another board had a similar experience in Seattle.

They found it; email the CEO and someone from her exec team will handle it (the email request).  In my case, filed a lost & found claim the day it was missing and eight days went by with them not finding it; emailed the CEO and I received a reply within four hours that they found it.  Google the ceo’s Email and send them an email is my suggestion 

Edited by NutsAboutGolf
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 7/12/2019 at 10:23 AM, bEwAbG said:

Glad you got it returned!  Did they say where it went?  

They didn't say a word with what happened to it.  The X lost and found department said I would be responsible for the bags shipping charges, I was never charged for shipping, I did pay the $30 for the port valet service.  Perhaps I should have asked for a refund.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

They didn't say a word with what happened to it.  The X lost and found department said I would be responsible for the bags shipping charges, I was never charged for shipping, I did pay the $30 for the port valet service.  Perhaps I should have asked for a refund.

A bit off topic but I thought the port of Seattle luggage valet was free?

1 hour ago, misha1 said:

A bit off topic but I thought the port of Seattle luggage valet was free?

That's correct, to clarify there's no charge for the valet service unless you have to pay baggage fees then X charges your account, on my folio it says "Luggage Valet Program" vs Delta.

Edited by NutsAboutGolf