Oasis and light switch

Just now, cb at sea said:

IF you need a card, fold a piece of paper and stick that in the slot...anything that blocks the electric eye will work.

That usually works but not on Ovation, they put a physical barrier in the slot for which you need a fairly stiff card (even a thick business card was not enough).

I take an old grocery store card for the slot. It's really not a big deal.  I always travel with it just in case I need it for that or for a safe.

Edited by BND

2 minutes ago, Sherri914 said:

Can someone tell me about the key / light thing?  I've read other posts here and there, and it seems to be a source of aggravation for some.  How does this work, and what are the issues?  Thanks! 😉 

Newer ships, and newer cabins have a slot at the door that controls the lighting in your cabin. The idea is, when you leave your cabin, the lights go out. Saves electricity.  Very European. 

20180923_091054.thumb.jpg.d742e0ebd5a61d413805d4e0e1d4eb51.jpg

The “problem” is that there are people like me who leave their room and, just as the door “clicks”, realize that my room key is still in the slot. Then it is a 20 minute wait on line at Guest Services to have a new key made. 

I left Oasis yesterday. We were travelling with family and none of our 3 staterooms required a card to activate lights etc. There is a master switch, similar to a light switch but with a pilot light. Our stateroom attendant even highlighted it to us to make sure we left it on. 

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

The “problem” is that there are people like me who leave their room and, just as the door “clicks”, realize that my room key is still in the slot. Then it is a 20 minute wait on line at Guest Services to have a new key made. 

Okay... that makes sense why some folks don't like it.  Thank you!