Construction on the Crown now taking place?

EllieinNJ

We are on the Crown right now. Today is June 22. The coffee bar is now moved back over by the IC and is renamed Good Spirits bar. And most of us have been given medallions to use. They are interesting. I have been sailing with Princess since I was a kid and while I do appreciate it automatically unlocking my cabin door when I have my hands full, it also randomly unlocks it when I leave. Plus it takes even longer to reboard the ship. But my young adults and teen think it is cool. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, caribill said:

I am sure that the entertainment is the best available in Princess's price range.

I think I've heard one of the comedians use that line a few times over the years. :classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, rocklinmom said:

Plus it takes even longer to reboard the ship.

Could it be that people don't know how to place the medallion on the sensor or just a slow computer ? We didn't have those problems on the CB or Regal.

10 hours ago, caribill said:

I am sure that the entertainment is the best available in Princess's price range.

In the past I have thought this too. However, this cruise, our 18th on Princess, seemed like a sad step down from what we're used to. This was just lousy.

Jim

7 minutes ago, jasbo49 said:

In the past I have thought this too. However, this cruise, our 18th on Princess, seemed like a sad step down from what we're used to. This was just lousy.

Jim

If I might ask, which ship were you on, how long was the cruise and what specifically was so bad about the evening production shows?

3 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If I might ask, which ship were you on, how long was the cruise and what specifically was so bad about the evening production shows?

Most of this is explained in post 18 of this thread.

It was the Crown's 12-night BI cruise. The production shows were OK, but every other night in the Princess Theater (at least the ones we attended) was just amateurish filler stuff. Two comics who weren't funny, etc.

We didn't have a yodeler or flea circus, but they would have fit right in.

Jim

• Haha 1

I've got no real complaints about the production entertainment except that guest entertainers (comedians) seem to be the same ones, year after year, repeating the same material again and again.

Their act, which was once funny the first few time has long lost it's luster.

Every cruise we go on I'm always hoping for anything new.

The reason I asked is because we’re in our mid 60s and have gotten totally bored with the production entertainment HAL has offered over the past few years and have started booking Celebrity and Princess cruises. We have definitely been impressed by the recent X cruises we've been on and are looking forward to our upcoming Princess cruises. Most Princess cruisers we’ve noticed on CC still give Princess high marks for their entertainment value. So when you spoke badly of them, I was just curious. 

if it's just the Princess singers and dancers ... we immediately pass

if something else ... well, we will at least take a look at it ... mayble

On the Bayou, before the changes on Island, would very possibly be the only show we would go back to see again

5 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

The reason I asked is because we’re in our mid 60s and have gotten totally bored with the production entertainment HAL has offered over the past few years and have started booking Celebrity and Princess cruises. We have definitely been impressed by the recent X cruises we've been on and are looking forward to our upcoming Princess cruises. Most Princess cruisers we’ve noticed on CC still give Princess high marks for their entertainment value. So when you spoke badly of them, I was just curious. 

Important to note: I am not badmouthing Princess entertainment in general,  just this cruise, and just the filler-type shows in the Princess Theater.

Jim

On 6/21/2019 at 3:35 PM, hpeabody said:

THIS IS LIKELY TO CREATE THE OCEAN STORE SO THEY CAN MAKE MONEY SELLING OCEAN MEDALLION JUNK TO US  ( I am recently off the Royal that is now full Medallion Class)

BUDGET CUTS, AND HAS BEEN  LIKE THIS FOR A WHILE NOW

No need to shout as it will do no good on here.

So now after all the bad reports about construction, missed ports, delayed ports and missed tours, no A/C and toilets not working in some cabins, chaotic debarkation and confused staff, we now have crummy shows to look forward to on our cruise in August?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

So now after all the bad reports about construction, missed ports, delayed ports and missed tours, no A/C and toilets not working in some cabins, chaotic debarkation and confused staff, we now have crummy shows to look forward to on our cruise in August?

If you're in cabin C602 (or nearby vicinity) you better hope they've fixed the AC during dry dock. 

20 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

I'm sorry you are no longer looking forward to this Cruise. I knew when I decided on Princess that I would be risking that some of these things might happen as they did on our previous 3 Princess cruises. (No A/C, cancelled excursions, crummy shows.) But this itinerary is exactly what we were looking for and when I priced other lines the cost was much more (enough to pay for our flight!) Even with the hiccups we've experienced (no A/C in Mexico was brutal) we've never had a "bad" cruise. (This one I believe is #20). The cruise is so port intensive I don't think the ship will matter too much. 

53 minutes ago, Pacificlander said:

Even with the hiccups we've experienced (no A/C in Mexico was brutal) we've never had a "bad" cruise.

I can see you're very tolerant as to what you consider a bad cruise, but no AC to me isn't one of them. 

I leave today (!!) for my British Isles cruise on Princess.  With current temperatures only in the 50s and 60s, I can do without the A/C on this cruise.

And don't forget, any day cruising is better than a day stuck in the office.  Ciao!!

3 hours ago, Pacificlander said:

I'm sorry you are no longer looking forward to this Cruise. I knew when I decided on Princess that I would be risking that some of these things might happen as they did on our previous 3 Princess cruises. (No A/C, cancelled excursions, crummy shows.) But this itinerary is exactly what we were looking for and when I priced other lines the cost was much more (enough to pay for our flight!) Even with the hiccups we've experienced (no A/C in Mexico was brutal) we've never had a "bad" cruise. (This one I believe is #20). The cruise is so port intensive I don't think the ship will matter too much. 

Didn't say I wasn't looking forward to the trip just the entertainment.  I usually sail with Norwegian and they always have the best shows.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I can see you're very tolerant as to what you consider a bad cruise, but no AC to me isn't one of them. 

It was a 10 day out of San Francisco so only 4 days were without AC. I actually felt worse for the staff, we could wear shorts or sun dresses, they were struck in long sleeves, pants & vests!

3 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

Didn't say I wasn't looking forward to the trip just the entertainment.  I usually sail with Norwegian and they always have the best shows.

Oh good! I must have misunderstood your post. We usually sail Celebrity so I understand your disappointment regarding entertainment. I think we will be too tired most nights to be able to go to the shows! Lol. Getting up early and having full day excursions will probably have the two of us exhausted at night!

On 6/28/2019 at 4:01 PM, Pacificlander said:

Oh good! I must have misunderstood your post. We usually sail Celebrity so I understand your disappointment regarding entertainment. I think we will be too tired most nights to be able to go to the shows! Lol. Getting up early and having full day excursions will probably have the two of us exhausted at night!

We are thinking the same thing.  We are on the Aug. 29 sailing out of Southampton.  So looking forward to this trip!

On 6/28/2019 at 3:10 PM, Wren_dc said:

I leave today (!!) for my British Isles cruise on Princess.  With current temperatures only in the 50s and 60s, I can do without the A/C on this cruise.

And don't forget, any day cruising is better than a day stuck in the office.  Ciao!!

It was well in the 80s  here on Friday and Saturday - cooler today but still nice.