Printing our own documents - uses lots of ink

TxSandMom

2 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

We have 3 printers. Sometimes it is cheaper to buy a new printer than it is to buy ink. Crazy, but true. The price of ink is stupid expensive. 

That's exactly how it is, by design. They make their money on the ink. I often compare it to men's razors. I used to buy the razors that had the replaceable heads. You can get the razor that comes with one or two heads real cheap. But the packs of replacement heads are crazy expensive. I gave up on them years ago and started using disposables.

For those who may not have seen me mention it before, check Amazon for third-party ink cartridges for your particular printer. I bought a set for less than half of what HP charges, and they work great. The printer did warn me that it detected non-HP cartridges, but I just hit OK and never had a problem. Just look for ones that get good reviews. As long as they keep working for me, I won't go back to the name-brand ink.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

No, thank you for the command, but I will not stop.🙄  Of course I have no idea.  That's why I said "unless", followed by the situations in which it would not be stealing.  Do you have reading comprehension issues or are you simply one of the judgemental bullies to whom you refer, hiding behind your fake screen name, TruckerDave? 

I don't like theft.  And I don't like seeing people encourage others to steal.  If (and obviously there is an "if" - as was made clear by my "unless" clause) this is what is being done and what is being recommended, then I will call it out.  Online as well as in person.  I'm not hiding.  And I'm not a different person behind this keyboard than I am anywhere else in my life.  I'm honest.  Period. 

If someone who's allowed to print personal things at work suggests to others to also print things at work, I don't think that's encouraging theft at all. The person on the receiving end of that suggestion knows whether or not they're allowed to print things at work, so it's on them to take the advice or not. RandomUser123, to whom you replied about stealing, even said, "If you are in a position to do so..." That's pretty much the opposite of encouraging theft.

I have a feeling this thread isn't going to last much longer.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Organized Chaos said:

Absolutely none of that matters. The OP has every right to want to save on ink, no matter how much you or your half-way decent financial planner says it costs. Actually, it is your opinion because if someone wants to save on printer ink, or anything else the rest of you consider to be an insignificant expense, that does not mean a person can't afford a cruise. None of you get to decide where someone else chooses to save money. I'm sorry some of you can't seem to grasp that. The OP wanted to know if their were any alternatives to printing them at home. She got some good advice, but unfortunately, it also came at the expense of a lot of comments that are rude and completely unnecessary. Here's the kicker. Each and every one of you who decided to attack her for her own personal financial choices could've easily suggested that the cost would be minimal in a civil, rational manner. Instead, she was hit with post after post of rude, insensitive, condescending garbage. Telling her she's foolish, insulting her intelligence, making fun of her, etc. All for what? What is it y'all get out of belittling a stranger for doing something you disagree with?

You should look in the mirror, because you frequently voice your strong opposition to people on this board who have opinions or thoughts that are different from yours.  Personally, it doesn’t bother me because not everyone is going to think the same way or feel the same way no matter what the topic is. 

i am fortunate enough to cruise on a regular basis and have become friends with a lot of staff members on Carnival. Nothing upsets me more than when I hear stories from them concerning how many passengers cancelled gratuities on their last cruise, which happens every cruise. I am not saying the OP will do this, but someone who is worried about printing documents costing 50 cents is likely to be the same person who cancels gratuities on the ship. And I for one strongly believe if you can’t afford the gratuities, you can’t afford the cruise. 

47 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

If someone who's allowed to print personal things at work suggests to others to also print things at work, I don't think that's encouraging theft at all. The person on the receiving end of that suggestion knows whether or not they're allowed to print things at work, so it's on them to take the advice or not. RandomUser123, to whom you replied about stealing, even said, "If you are in a position to do so..." That's pretty much the opposite of encouraging theft.

I have a feeling this thread isn't going to last much longer.

Right, "if" ("unless"), like I said.  But "if not", then it is theft.  I am not and was not assuming RandomUser was stealing (hence my much-referred-to "unless" clause), but I am also not assuming RandomUser was not stealing, as you seem to be.  Why do you assume that someone saying "If you are in a position to do so..."  is "pretty much the opposite of encouraging theft"?  Do you really know what he means by that?  Could he not also mean "If you happen to work at a place with a printer and can get a chance to use it without your boss finding out"?   (Which would then be the opposite of the opposite of encouraging theft:classic_wink:)  You seem to be guilty here of assuming others' meanings and motivations -  something for which you have called others out on these boards may times,  whereas I am not. 

At least one other PP on this thread referred to printing at work without wanting her boss to know about it (read: stealing), so it is not impossible that RandomUser was referring to the same thing.  But, as I said, I was not the one making any assumptions.  I simply stated a fact about employee theft in hopes of discouraging others reading the advice from such theft. 

Edited by ShakyBeef
punctuation - go figure

3 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

Right, "if" ("unless"), like I said.  But "if not", then it is theft.  I am not and was not assuming RandomUser was stealing (hence my much-referred-to "unless" clause), but I am also not assuming RandomUser was not stealing, as you seem to be.  Why do you assume that someone saying "If you are in a position to do so..."  is "pretty much the opposite of encouraging theft"?  Do you really know what he means by that?  Could he not also mean "If you happen to work at a place with a printer and can get a chance to use it without your boss finding out"?   (Which would then be the opposite of the opposite of encouraging theft:classic_wink:)  You seem to be guilty here of assuming others' meanings and motivations -  something for which you have called others out on these boards may times,  whereas I am not. 

At least one other PP on this thread referred to printing at work without wanting her boss to know about it (read: stealing), so it is not impossible that RandomUser was referring to the same thing.  But, as I said, I was not the one making any assumptions.  I simply stated a fact about employee theft in hopes of discouraging others reading the advice from such theft. 

I am the other PP, and it was meant as a joke to lighten the mood of the thread.  If I asked my boss, he would print them for me or allow me to print them myself or probably pay for printing them at Staples.  That's why I've worked for my company over 20 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1