Tipping on P and O

Tablelamp

I used to leave the autotips on. P&O are now clearly stating in their publicity that tips are now neither required or expected,  so I will follow their guidelines. 

If others want to tip, fine, but I will have a totally clear conscience when I leave the ship having not tipped, which would not have been the case in the past, if I had removed the autotips. 

35 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I used to leave the autotips on. P&O are now clearly stating in their publicity that tips are now neither required or expected,  so I will follow their guidelines. 

If others want to tip, fine, but I will have a totally clear conscience when I leave the ship having not tipped, which would not have been the case in the past, if I had removed the autotips. 

I won't feel I need to tip. I don't tip bar people at home. Other than paying the daily service charge I would never tip waiters either.

I do generally leave the room stewards extra as the ones we have had in the past all work extremely hard.

• Like 1

Yes I will continue to do what I did before auto tips.  I tip in an envelope to my cabin steward.  We are freedom dining this time to give it a try, so probably won't tip waiters as I imagine they will different every night.  BUT that is my choice.  There is no necessity now to tip.

Edited by jeanlyon

Since I have always assumed that cruise line tips were supposed to be to compensate certain hotel staff who receive lower salaries because they were generally well tipped, a hangover from the golden days of cruising, and that this practise has now died out and their salaries from the cruise line fully reflect the job they do; then I no longer think that tipping is required at all, except for exceptional service, and then at a rate far less than was ever proposed by the cruise lines.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

I think you are confusing passengers feeling they have to tip and passengers wanting to tip...

I certainly don't feel I have to, but feel I want to.

I would happily not tip if I didn't want to, nobody is making me feel like I should.

Andy

But seeing people give tips in envelopes puts pressure on them to do the same and makes them feel guilty. Perhaps not on that particular cruise but in future so it will end up no auto gratuities but prices in some way increased by P&O to cover their losses and staff getting extra in cash so like I said paying twice a win win situation for P&O and staff.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

But seeing people give tips in envelopes puts pressure on them to do the same and makes them feel guilty. Perhaps not on that particular cruise but in future so it will end up no auto gratuities but prices in some way increased by P&O to cover their losses and staff getting extra in cash so like I said paying twice a win win situation for P&O and staff.

Can't see that at all. P&O is quite clear on this - no need to tip. No need, therefore, for any guilt.

If some choose to tip, that's fine - doesn't affect anybody else but the staff on the receiving end, and if they end up with a bit more to add to the miserable wage they get from P&O good luck to them!

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

I understand exactly what you are saying and agree it does make you feel guilty if you don't have a tip envelope when others are handing them out.

Peer pressure can be a dangerous thing. There are still occasional questions on the Marella forums about how much to tip and tips have been included in the fare for many years. The cruise card even has a 'remember tips are included' message on it. Tipping should be only for exceptional service not because others do it or even boast about it, yes they do!

• Like 3

Automatic gratuities are now included in your base cruise fare, so why tip more, all it is doing is setting another precedent.

The service crew are now having their wages made up from the extra fare money you are now paying.   Of course the crew will still expect something else.

As has been said P&O have made it quite clear no tipping is required.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 4

Of course the crew would like extra tips, but I didn't see any evidence of them making passengers feel uncomfortable if they didn't and there was absolutely no peer pressure as tips were handed over discreetly, probably not to embarrass passengers who chose not to.

We left our cabin stewards tip in the room and had to find our waiters after they had finished service, no hanging around waiting.

I did not look to see who was or wasn't tipping, it's their choice. 

The peer pressure thing applies to teenagers, why would you feel awkward? Everybody knows tips are included, it just comes down to personal choice.

Andy

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Of course the crew would like extra tips, but I didn't see any evidence of them making passengers feel uncomfortable if they didn't and there was absolutely no peer pressure as tips were handed over discreetly, probably not to embarrass passengers who chose not to.

We left our cabin stewards tip in the room and had to find our waiters after they had finished service, no hanging around waiting.

I did not look to see who was or wasn't tipping, it's their choice. 

The peer pressure thing applies to teenagers, why would you feel awkward? Everybody knows tips are included, it just comes down to personal choice.

Andy

Can I ask what the cabin steward/waiter's did as exceptional to what they normally do to warrant giving them extra money as a tip when it is clearly stated by P&O that tips are now included. We have done many cruises with P&O and always paid the £3-75pppd that was recommended by P&O came in and the increasing annually auto gratuities but never thought that we have ever had exceptional service to warrant an extra tip. Always said that even at £7pppd as it was, and even more on American cruise lines i.e. Princess/Cunard, that not many leave the same tips to hotel based staff who do exactly the same job with efficiency clean your room and serve your meals so why should cruise ships be any different.

11 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Can I ask what the cabin steward/waiter's did as exceptional to what they normally do to warrant giving them extra money as a tip when it is clearly stated by P&O that tips are now included. We have done many cruises with P&O and always paid the £3-75pppd that was recommended by P&O came in and the increasing annually auto gratuities but never thought that we have ever had exceptional service to warrant an extra tip. Always said that even at £7pppd as it was, and even more on American cruise lines i.e. Princess/Cunard, that not many leave the same tips to hotel based staff who do exactly the same job with efficiency clean your room and serve your meals so why should cruise ships be any different.

I get your points, but we did feel our waiters and cabin stewards went that little bit further than they had to, remembering preferences, remembering our names, making sure we were comfortable with the sun coming through the windows etc.

The cabin steward folded up clothes we had strewn across the sofa to tidy later, we didn't expect him to do that.

Yes, it is their job, but more importantly to us, it was always done with a smile.

I would happily have walked out without tipping as I know they are included, but felt on this occasion, I wanted to.

Andy

12 hours ago, davecttr said:

Peer pressure can be a dangerous thing. There are still occasional questions on the Marella forums about how much to tip and tips have been included in the fare for many years. The cruise card even has a 'remember tips are included' message on it. Tipping should be only for exceptional service not because others do it or even boast about it, yes they do!

I agree but when tip envelopes are readily available it seems like the crew are playing mind games with caring receptive passengers irrespective of what the cruiselines say about not having to worry about tipping.

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Why would you have any problem with people tipping extra if they choose to? It doesn't affect anybody else at all if some people choose to tip. 

And in answer to the last question, hotel staff are paid at least minimum wage. P&O staff are paid a fraction of that.

7 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Why would you have any problem with people tipping extra if they choose to? It doesn't affect anybody else at all if some people choose to tip. 

And in answer to the last question, hotel staff are paid at least minimum wage. P&O staff are paid a fraction of that.

As an advocate of tipping autogratuities and plenty cash on top normally I wouldn't bother what others do but I think it will gather momentum where people still give cash tips until a point when crew expect extra tips off everyone and will show displeasure if this is not forthcoming.

8 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I agree but when tip envelopes are readily available it seems like the crew are playing mind games with caring receptive passengers irrespective of what the cruiselines say about not having to worry about tipping.

There was a pile of plain envelopes on the reception desk that were apparently put there because passengers kept asking for them?

No matter what the cruise line say or do, some passengers still want to tip.

Our cabin steward said they were told not to expect tips and should not encourage the giving of them, but they could take them if offered.

Andy

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

As an advocate of tipping autogratuities and plenty cash on top normally I wouldn't bother what others do but I think it will gather momentum where people still give cash tips until a point when crew expect extra tips off everyone and will show displeasure if this is not forthcoming.

Such is life.  It's a free country and you'll never stop some people tipping if they want to.  It's perfectly clear though that they have no need to. Maybe some people still have concerns about the staff being paid so badly compared with minimum wage. 

We always tip our dustmen, milkman and postman at Christmas not because we have to because we chose to, to show they are appreciated for the job they do. On our last cruise we have just came back from we gave our steward, the two table waiters and the wine waiter tips as a token, it wasn't a big amount but something to show we appreciated them and the fact they worked bloody hard for the two weeks, without a day off, always had a smile on their faces, were friendly and nothing was too much trouble.

21 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Such is life.  It's a free country and you'll never stop some people tipping if they want to.  It's perfectly clear though that they have no need to. Maybe some people still have concerns about the staff being paid so badly compared with minimum wage. 

I think some of us who have cruised many times over a number of years have the cruise tipping mentality ingrained in us and even when we think we won't tip when you are in the position on board the tip thinking kicks in.

6 minutes ago, gazwag said:

We always tip our dustmen, milkman and postman at Christmas not because we have to because we chose to, to show they are appreciated for the job they do. On our last cruise we have just came back from we gave our steward, the two table waiters and the wine waiter tips as a token, it wasn't a big amount but something to show we appreciated them and the fact they worked bloody hard for the two weeks, without a day off, always had a smile on their faces, were friendly and nothing was too much trouble.

I can empathise with you for doing this.

Sorry, I just can't imagine why I would tip a dustman in this day and age. They stick a wheelie bin on a hoist,  and then roll it 3 feet to the kerb.  How does that warrant a tip?

Different in the old days when they stuck your dust bin on their shoulder and walked down the garden path with it.

• Like 1

Now it’s getting really interesting. Christmas tips! Used to tip the dustmen but we’ve had such poor service these last few years that we’ve given up. You never really know, though, whether that’s the reason for the lousy service.

Postmen always get decent tips. Save us a lot of time by signing for stuff we’re supposed to sign for. Absolutely trustworthy, known them for years.

7 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

You are talking about hotels in the UK not in other countries of the world and many do not have minimum wages  so an unfair comparison.

I bought a teddy from the on-board shop, and my steward used to leave an extra chocolate on the teddy's lap when the cabin was turned down at night - for that reason alone I left my steward a little extra at the end of the cruise 🙂

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

You are talking about hotels in the UK not in other countries of the world and many do not have minimum wages  so an unfair comparison.

I'm talking about hotels in the UK and indeed all the other places to which P&O cruise. Most of them have minimum wage legislation, and it's almost always a higher figure than P&O pay.  A considerably higher figure in most cases.

If you don't want to tip - fine. Just let other people make their own minds up. It's their decision, not yours.