Last minute packing questions

Repeates

We are leaving tomorrow for our cruise that leaves on Saturday ( Caribbean Princess)!  What is the best way to check our couple of bottles of wine at the port?  Do they want it in a separate bag or can it be put into our suitcase?  Also, packing for my teenage son- is he allowed to wear nice dress shorts on non-formal nights in the dining room?  Thanks!

The wine needs to be in your carry on luggage.  Your son should wear slacks or khakis or even nice jeans at his age, but they might let him in with shorts.  It depends on who's at the dining room desk.

Edited by Plant
  • Like 2

When dining with their parents in the MDR a teenager is well old enough to be asked to follow the adult suggested attire for that evening.

The term "dress shorts" is an oxymoron. Yes that is a personal opinion but one that Princess subscribes to based on the letter of the Smart Casual Dress description. But as one of the earlier responses indicated whether the published evening dress code is a rule or a suggestion is entirely up to the person working the door when you arrive.

4 hours ago, Repeates said:

Ok thanks, so just to clarify, we would not check it with a luggage tag and we would carry it on with us?

Correct. If it is in a checked bag, that bag will not be delivered to your cabin but will be held in the Naughty Room where you will have to go, unlock, explain, and maybe be able to keep it... OR NOT.

There are bags out there to hold 2, 4, or 6 bottles of wine. In California, some grocery stores even have the 6-pack ones with the lure of "buy six save xx%". Six bottles is pretty heavy but more convenient than opening your roll-aboard for approval.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Repeates said:

We are leaving tomorrow for our cruise that leaves on Saturday ( Caribbean Princess)!  What is the best way to check our couple of bottles of wine at the port?  Do they want it in a separate bag or can it be put into our suitcase?  Also, packing for my teenage son- is he allowed to wear nice dress shorts on non-formal nights in the dining room?  Thanks!

I would think your teenage son would feel much happier wearing long pants. A smart pair of jeans would make him look far more manly than a pair of boyish shorts.

12 hours ago, Repeates said:
12 hours ago, Repeates said:

I was on this ship a few weeks ago.  I asked about short in the MDR and the hostess said they are acceptable on non-formal nights.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mike_DeA said:

I was on this ship a few weeks ago.  I asked about short in the MDR and the hostess said they are acceptable on non-formal nights.

It was that way on the Caribbean Princess the last time we sailed. For some reason that particular ship is very lenient on the dress requirements.

Many people wore shorts on casual evenings & I didn't hear anyone complaining about it.

• Thanks 1

On the practical side, I usually put a bottle of wine in a sock to keep it from bashing against other things in my carry-on, and it works well.  Two bottles means we at least have one pair of socks available if the need arises that first night onboard.  😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1