How to avoid politics at the dinner table?

MacinVic

1 hour ago, Cruise Junky said:

Table for 2 solves a lot of this but man, if cornered my response would be completely dependent on how many pre dinner martinis I’d consumed. But it wouldn’t be pretty. 

LOl, I am assuming we have similar responses if not the same stance.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2019 at 12:20 PM, Sea Hag said:

At this point of political divide in the US, I'd get up and leave if somebody from either side of the divide wouldn't stop trying to talk politics after being nicely asked to please change the subject. I don't care where we are in dinner service, I'd just leave. And ask to be put at a different table before dinner the following night.

Now that I travel alone, I  was firm about wanting a table to myself.   Sure, I spoke with  others all around thhe  ship but I did  NOT  CAre to risk dreading dinner because of poliitical   converesations .  I wanted to enjoy my dinners and   prefered to sit alone  than put up with potentially unpleasant  disagreeable tablemates.      I am sure I made the right  choice for me . 

image.png.a8abf63c465a6c13644c8a93f07ddd03.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

Now that I travel alone, I  was firm about wanting a table to myself.   Sure, I spoke with  others all around thhe  ship but I did  NOT  CAre to risk dreading dinner because of poliitical   converesations .  I wanted to enjoy my dinners and   prefered to sit alone  than put up with potentially unpleasant  disagreeable tablemates.      I am sure I made the right  choice for me . 

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Absolutely!  Why would I want to waste 2 hours of my day, sitting at a dinner table with boors and the self-important.  Why should I have to get up and move from a table?  I'd rather enjoy my own company, reflecting on what I did that day, thinking about what to do tomorrow, and what I can do to help ensure World Peace.

P.S.  How is the hand?   I hope it is getting better and better each day!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

sail.noordam@gmail.com

I understand - there is a risk.

I suppose I have just been lucky in large part, and I enjoy conversation, so I am willing to gamble on having the interaction with others which, in my case, has far more often enhanced dining rather than being a problem. 

Previous experience has left me with an appreciation of common tables - as a change of pace while cruising, from the norm of my wife and I dining alone most evenings.

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I suppose I have just been lucky in large part, and I enjoy conversation, so I am willing to gamble on having the interaction with others which, in my case, has far more often enhanced dining rather than being a problem. 

Previous experience has left me with an appreciation of common tables - as a change of pace while cruising, from the norm of my wife and I dining alone most evenings.

I

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I   enjoy chatting with others out and about around the ship.  And get all  the chit-chat I like. 🙂  Yes,   I love to   g'ab'  

image.png.e83e4291a29a6bb5644d2c7cc93384a0.png

sail. noordam@gmail.com

37 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I don't mind a chat, but it needs to be a subject I am interested in or I find I suddenly may have something else to do.

Like hitting the martini bar with your Canadian friends 😎. Great new pic of you two by the way. 

4 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

Like hitting the martini bar with your Canadian friends 😎. Great new pic of you two by the way. 

Cheers, yes, I do like hitting any bar especially with friends. But the Martini bar with Canadians would be even better.😁

4 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Cheers, yes, I do like hitting any bar especially with friends. But the Martini bar with Canadians would be even better.😁

Aussies, Canadians, and booze. Now that's a potent mixture!

I've knocked back a few with Aussies a couple of times during my travels................

..........I think

My memory's a bit foggy. 😵

9 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

Aussies, Canadians, and booze. Now that's a potent mixture!

I've knocked back a few with Aussies a couple of times during my travels................

..........I think

My memory's a bit foggy. 😵

It happens, it is caused due to the slight differences in our language and having to concentrate so hard, that you end up feeling foggy in the morning.😆

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

It happens, it is caused due to the slight differences in our language and having to concentrate so hard, that you end up feeling foggy in the morning.😆

THAT'S IT!

... and that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• Like 2