How to avoid politics at the dinner table?

MacinVic

4 hours ago, SteveH2508 said:

Slightly off topic but anyway:

I was sitting in the smoking area enjoying a cigar and a beer when an American gentleman approached me. He was genuinely interested in Brexit and the shenanigans surrounding it. He was genuinely interested in why we had as a nation voted for Brexit.

We had a lovely hour or so conversation about all of what had gone on and how it was being reported in the States.  Interestingly, the press coverage in the States about Brexit seemed to be ‘selective’ to say the least. I do wonder whether the media coverage of things in the US has a lot to answer for in terms of people not fully appreciating all sides of the various arguments and issues.

He left with a much more nuanced understanding of the issues – and Trump/Clinton issues didn’t come up at all!

It's my opinion--see, it's an opinion!--that the media is responsible for and guilty of much of the terrible state that political rhetoric and 'news' has gotten to in our country.  There is no longer any  attempt by any side, except for a few lone voices in a wilderness of hysterical verbage, to report or even comment on facts  vs overblown and twisted versions of almost anything.  I watch as little news as possible.  Can't stand the histrionics, and you can believe only parts of what you hear anyway.

Fortunately, except for once, we have never been at a table with truly diehard fans, one side or another.  And that time those of us with some sense managed to divert the conversation, which wasn't actually exactly the same situation anyway.

We mostly sit at a table for two now, but I would definitely change the subject with some force if things got heated.  I can't imagine anything worse at dinner than eating with fanatic and rabid fans of either political party or with racists or the religious fringe either.

I wish I knew more about Brexit--facts, not cloudy opinions!  Will have to do what I usually do, try to find some facts without prejudice.

6 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

It's my opinion--see, it's an opinion!--that the media is responsible for and guilty of much of the terrible state that political rhetoric and 'news' has gotten to in our country.  There is no longer any  attempt by any side, except for a few lone voices in a wilderness of hysterical verbage, to report or even comment on facts  vs overblown and twisted versions of almost anything.  I watch as little news as possible.  Can't stand the histrionics, and you can believe only parts of what you hear anyway.

<snip>

I wish I knew more about Brexit--facts, not cloudy opinions!  Will have to do what I usually do, try to find some facts without prejudice.

There is currently a big debate going on in UK about the BBC (that erstwhile paragon of impartiality). It has been accused (rightly in my opinion), of  remain bias with regards to Brexit, and anti Boris Johnson bias with regards to the Conservative party leadership elections.

As for getting facts about Brexit - we Brits have been trying to get those for the last three years! You guys over the pond have no chance!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SteveH2508 said:

There is currently a big debate going on in UK about the BBC (that erstwhile paragon of impartiality). It has been accused (rightly in my opinion), of  remain bias with regards to Brexit, and anti Boris Johnson bias with regards to the Conservative party leadership elections.

As for getting facts about Brexit - we Brits have been trying to get those for the last three years! You guys over the pond have no chance!

I have not noticed any big debate about BBC impartiality. You get the usual accusations, from both sides, about bias. Fortunately the BBC as a public service broadcaster has to demonstrate that it is fair in its reporting which probably leads to the despicable BOJO getting a bad press!!!. Other news outlets, specifically the newspapers are controlled by individuals or groups which have their own political agendas. Unfortunately a lot of the public are fooled by this.

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

I have not noticed any big debate about BBC impartiality. You get the usual accusations, from both sides, about bias. Fortunately the BBC as a public service broadcaster has to demonstrate that it is fair in its reporting which probably leads to the despicable BOJO getting a bad press!!!. Other news outlets, specifically the newspapers are controlled by individuals or groups which have their own political agendas. Unfortunately a lot of the public are fooled by this.

Political agendas can only be perceived through the lens of a political agenda.  A lot of people are fooled by this.

First off, shoplifter pants are those that are worn down below the buttocks and can conceal all sorts of items being stolen from a store.  It’s just an expression really as I have seen plenty things shoplifted via huge purses, jackets, and even big dresses.  

One of my favorite quotes is attributed to Albert Einstein:

”Two things are infinite; the Universe and human stupidity.  And I’m not so sure about the Universe.”

• Like 2

Baling, changing tables is so easy.  At the most we would only have to put up with it for one night.  Even then, on one occasion we cut out early and finished our meal elsewhere.

Why sit a listen to drivel when you can simply excuse yourself, pull out your chair, and leave.  Far better that the torture of remaining.   Life is too short for that nonsense.    The way we look at is if you do not like the table, yet you continue to remain, then it is your own fault and you should not complain.

Edited by iancal

I will not have  conversations with strangers re:  religion,  politics or money.  CHANGE the direction of  the    conversation to a subject that is  universally 'safe........

travel, books, movies, restaurants:  blah    blah, blah

image.png.f0b6721fa7d275296013ffd73d2c2ffc.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

image.png

• Like 1

On 6/21/2019 at 9:26 PM, CMDE said:

and I LOVE talking about cruising,

When we did a little cruising between 10 and 20 years ago that was one thing we found off-putting.  It seemed like that was all a lot of people talked about.  But now we've done two Hurtigruten cruises and found the exact opposite.  People talked about their lives, their history, families, where they live, and on and on.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, clo said:

When we did a little cruising between 10 and 20 years ago that was one thing we found off-putting.  It seemed like that was all a lot of people talked about.  But now we've done two Hurtigruten cruises and found the exact opposite.  People talked about their lives, their history, families, where they live, and on and on.

One has to  b e careful  these days about TMI  🤐

image.png.0f588e26c15bf7d87dee5b96ed0a31fa.png

image.png

54 minutes ago, clo said:

When we did a little cruising between 10 and 20 years ago that was one thing we found off-putting.  It seemed like that was all a lot of people talked about.

Yeah -- I can see that -- especially when some people start boasting about their loyalty club status and the number of cruises they've taken. That can get old, in a hurry! But beyond that, I never get tired of talking/hearing about travel. Frequently, that leads to folks talking about where they hail from -- and that's usually interesting, too.😎

1 hour ago, wwcruisers said:

Yeah -- I can see that -- especially when some people start boasting about their loyalty club status and the number of cruises they've taken. That can get old, in a hurry! But beyond that, I never get tired of talking/hearing about travel. Frequently, that leads to folks talking about where they hail from -- and that's usually interesting, too.😎

My husband says  I can find out more about someone in 20 minutes than he can in 20 years. 🙂  I find the human beast endlessly fascinating.  I love hearing peoples' stories.

• Like 2

OK.  still kind of related to our talk of politics at the dinner table...

My local radio station (it's a public-supported station, not a corporate one) airs the "BBC Overnight" program every night at 11pm.   When I'm driving home from work (I'm off at 11), I am always listening to it.  It is nice to hear a different spin on things happening in the US.  And, they do a good job of reporting issues in other parts of the world.  At least BBC Overnight does not seem to have a pro/anti bias.  

For the Canadian CCers here:  A friend who lives in Kelowna posted this today on Facebook: "Stop complaining about your life.  There are people who actually live in Manitoba."   Gave me a chuckle...

It wasn't on a cruise, but at a hotel in Italy - I had a wonderful conversation with a gentleman from Canada (I forget his town, but I think it was near Toronto) about American politics.  He was asking decent, probing questions.  He was pro/anti anything but just wanted to know more about how things work and how certain policies came about.   I don't mind political talk if it is not "political" - I will talk but not espouse my inflammatory views.  If someone got all up in my face with her Trumpian stuff, I would be obliged to excuse myself, though.   

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

OK.  still kind of related to our talk of politics at the dinner table...

My local radio station (it's a public-supported station, not a corporate one) airs the "BBC Overnight" program every night at 11pm.   When I'm driving home from work (I'm off at 11), I am always listening to it.  It is nice to hear a different spin on things happening in the US.  And, they do a good job of reporting issues in other parts of the world.  At least BBC Overnight does not seem to have a pro/anti bias.  

For the Canadian CCers here:  A friend who lives in Kelowna posted this today on Facebook: "Stop complaining about your life.  There are people who actually live in Manitoba."   Gave me a chuckle...

It wasn't on a cruise, but at a hotel in Italy - I had a wonderful conversation with a gentleman from Canada (I forget his town, but I think it was near Toronto) about American politics.  He was asking decent, probing questions.  He was pro/anti anything but just wanted to know more about how things work and how certain policies came about.   I don't mind political talk if it is not "political" - I will talk but not espouse my inflammatory views.  If someone got all up in my face with her Trumpian stuff, I would be obliged to excuse myself, though.   

Yeah, I love listening to "BBC World" IIRC on our local NPR.  Definitely a different perspective.

Just now, clo said:

Yeah, I love listening to "BBC World" IIRC on our local NPR.  Definitely a different perspective.

Our station isn't strictly NPR.  It does local-programmed music and "whats going on of interest to our little town" in the daytime.  They do get a little NPR programming in the morning.  The town basically supports the whole station and we decide what we want.  Old DJs doing Grateful Dead to DJs still in high school playing Imagine Dragons, lost and found notices every hour...  LOVE IT!  

1 minute ago, slidergirl said:

Our station isn't strictly NPR.  It does local-programmed music and "whats going on of interest to our little town" in the daytime.  They do get a little NPR programming in the morning.  The town basically supports the whole station and we decide what we want.  Old DJs doing Grateful Dead to DJs still in high school playing Imagine Dragons, lost and found notices every hour...  LOVE IT!  

How cool!  That sounds super.  Do y'all get Terry Gross "Fresh Air"?  I think she has the best job in the whole world!

54 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I don't mind political talk if it is not "political" - I will talk but not espouse my inflammatory views.  If someone got all up in my face with her Trumpian stuff, I would be obliged to excuse myself, though.   

This is the thing - it is entirely possible to have a rational discussion about politics - even with someone with different views.  It takes a willingness (on both sides) to listen, a commitment to facts, and (most important) avoidance of pushing a personal view.   

Sadly, the levels of intelligence, courtesy and self discipline necessary to achieve this are rarely found.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

This is the thing - it is entirely possible to have a rational discussion about politics - even with someone with different views.  It takes a willingness (on both sides) to listen, a commitment to facts, and (most important) avoidance of pushing a personal view.   

Sadly, the levels of intelligence, courtesy and self discipline necessary to achieve this are rarely found.

What I've found for the last three years are closed minds and people who have no interest in facts.  I bet I've written a few hundred time "please share verifiable and reputable citations to support your claim" and never once gotten that.

1 minute ago, clo said:

What I've found for the last three years are closed minds and people who have no interest in facts.  I bet I've written a few hundred time "please share verifiable and reputable citations to support your claim" and never once gotten that.

The problem would remain: would you be the one to judge whether the provided citations were verifiable and reputable or would it be the person whom you asked - or would there need to be a mutually acceptable disinterested third part to make such determination?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

The problem would remain: would you be the one to judge whether the provided citations were verifiable and reputable or would it be the person whom you asked - or would there need to be a mutually acceptable disinterested third part to make such determination?

Well, since not a single person gave me any info, it's moot, isn't it?  I'm a self-described "info junkie" and try really hard to fact check things.  So much is BS.

21 minutes ago, clo said:

There's a lot of that. I seem especially likely to encounter people, on both ends of the political spectrum, who claim that they know things that there is no way of knowing, things that people closer to the center might consider possible but unproven.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

There's a lot of that. I seem especially likely to encounter people, on both ends of the political spectrum, who claim that they know things that there is no way of knowing, things that people closer to the center might consider possible but unproven.

Absolutely.  I have FB friends who will share something because they want it to be true I suppose.  I correct them.  I kinda go by if it seems too good or bad to be true, fact check it. Or if it's a site I've not heard of.  PS:  I'm a screaming liberal 🙂

• Like 1