What is a reasonable facsimile to Oceania?

Sopwith

16 minutes ago, CptBoatface said:

Heck, bought a small folder to meet HAL requirements. You're not dressed without one in our neck of the woods

I'm dying to know what you're talking about 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, clo said:

With there now being so many great wines with screwtops we no longer have to carry a corkscrew.

Depends...not the diapers...but on the vineyards, their county of origin,  and the quality of wine they offer.  Boy Scout motto:  "Be Prepared."  On the other hand, there's always been a corkscrew in our stateroom.

7 minutes ago, clo said:

I'm not saying screwtops are bad or good, only that there are some vineyards with excellent wines that haven't moved from corks and they may be wines that we would like. An analysis like this one doesn't address the issue that some excellent wines are only available with corks, at present.

Edited by 1985rz1

2 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

I'm not saying screwtops are bad or good, only that there are some vineyards with excellent wines that haven't moved from corks and they may be wines that we would like.

Yes but you have a great choice. But, hey, that corkscrew doesn't take up much room, does it?  Enjoy

16 hours ago, clo said:

With there now being so many great wines with screwtops we no longer have to carry a corkscrew.

Yeah, but you never know that you can get a stelvin, so a small corkscrew is still packed in my bags 😉 Then again, for some trips, I pack box wine too, so, you know..... 🙂 I do what I need to do.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

As long as it's not in your carry-on. 😁

Corkscrew (as long as it's short) isn't a problem. The small "knife" to remove foil can be. Which is why I removed it from my travel corkscrew 😉 Always a chance someone could take it away but 1) hasn't happened yet; and 2) it's not expensive....

11 minutes ago, Hoyaheel said:

Corkscrew (as long as it's short) isn't a problem. The small "knife" to remove foil can be. Which is why I removed it from my travel corkscrew 😉 Always a chance someone could take it away but 1) hasn't happened yet; and 2) it's not expensive....

Why would anyone have something like that in their carryon?  It's not like you're going to use it on the airplane.

3 minutes ago, clo said:

Why would anyone have something like that in their carryon?  It's not like you're going to use it on the airplane.

Many times, I fly carry-on only. That's why I do it. I don't speak to what others do or do not do when they travel.

22 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

I would like to bring my Bowie knife to cut meat.  Do you think I can?

Ill bring my K-bar..  you can do anything with it.....anything    Cork screw.....pheew....   Take the knife, , John Wayne style and whack off the bottle neck....  rather crude  but it get peoples attention  not to mess with you.

20 hours ago, clo said:

Back to basics.... a good wine  is a wine you can get open.   A bad wine is one you can not open.

Not mentioned (and if it was my apologies) is Hapag-Lloyd's Europa 2. It's more towards the luxury category but its about the same size as O ships (a little bit larger than the R ships but much smaller than the new builds). Whats unique is that it doesn't follow the standard luxury ship all inclusiveness model-- drinks are an additional charge which I read some people here saw as an advantage. She's supposed to be one of, if not the, finest passenger ship afloat. 

It is pretty expensive in that she mainly undertakes longer routes and rarely, if ever, does the same itinerary back to back. It more spends the year doing a leisurely world cruise. But there are some legs that compare well to some of O's and the pricing on the shorter ones isn't as astronomical as the longer voyages. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

Many times, I fly carry-on only. That's why I do it. I don't speak to what others do or do not do when they travel.

Ah, I see.  We never cut our connections so short that waiting for checked bags isn't an issue for us.  But I know that some people do carry on only.

2 hours ago, SrCruizer said:

Apparently not and it’s getting very tiresome!! I think I’ve already deleted 20 posts just this morning about a corkscrew.

How do you do that?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, docmark said:

Does anybody pay attention to TITLE of thread anymore?

I find it mildly amusing and an insight into human nature that my question about alternative cruise lines morphs into a discussion of corkscrews.  And I don’t even drink!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sopwith said:

I find it mildly amusing and an insight into human nature that my question about alternative cruise lines morphs into a discussion of corkscrews.  And I don’t even drink!

We have a NEW "poster" who is contributing HEAVILY to "tangentially" moving to a different topic ,picking on a word or phrase .Of course we have few "veterans'  who have been doing it for years !!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, docmark said:

We have a NEW "poster" who is contributing HEAVILY to "tangentially" moving to a different topic ,picking on a word or phrase .Of course we have few "veterans'  who have been doing it for years !!

Yup, on multiple boards.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Not mentioned (and if it was my apologies) is Hapag-Lloyd's Europa 2. It's more towards the luxury category but its about the same size as O ships (a little bit larger than the R ships but much smaller than the new builds).

I've been getting their brochures the past couple years (one came in the mail today!) and it's definitely appealing, but the cost is somewhat off-putting (considering we drink). My husband is also concerned about languages spoken on board, but I'd heard certain cruises are more heavily marketed in English-speaking markets which might mitigate that concern a little.

3 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I agree and I took the bait, unfortunately. The Pollyanna in me 😉

Maybe if everyone does not respond, they will stop.  ((crosses fingers))

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hoyaheel said:

My husband is also concerned about languages spoken on board

Europa 2 is always bilingual-- German and English are spoken by the crew in equal measure and all announcements and printed materials are in both. I'm told that other Hapag ships are German only and they will try and make accommodations if you don't speak it. For a lot of the itineraries its a little pricey, but we found a 10 day itinerary from Miami through the Caribbean a few years back that was reasonable. 

To your point, the only sticker shock was the bar bill-- we drink a reasonable amount on vacation and it added up. But the ship is an absolute stunner-- you don't feel like you're on a luxury cruise ship, it feels 1/3 private yacht and 2/3 a meticulously managed Four Seasons Hotel. I got over the bar bill. 

• Thanks 1