MSC to include service charge for UK passengers, will RCL be next?

6 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

If you believe what you wrote, you are admitting that when you travel you don't bother to learn the local customs in places where you visit. Not knowing about tipping cultures in countries visited is being willfully ignorant of local customs, and you have only yourselves to blame. Anyone who travels and expects everywhere to do things like at home are uninformed travelers at best, and arrogant travelers at worst. Isn't a large part of traveling the desire to experience the sights AND cultures of the places being visited? 

I get so tired of reading posts from people who criticize how things are done in the US, or with US based companies. Your way is your way. It isn't the only way, and it isn't necessarily the best way. If you can't be gracious visitors and take a few minutes to become informed about how things are done where you will be traveling, and then politely accept whatever custom is prevalent in those places without complaining, then stay home.

Don't forget that RC is an international cruise liner, cruising in all parts of the world. Maybe the person you replied to wasn't cruising out of an American port? Of course we tip in UK, usually 10%, generally just in full service restaurants, taxis and hairdressers. In other parts of Europe we round up our bar bill and a couple of euros over. When in the States we tip more, and more frequently because we know the service staff aren't paid well and tips are part of their salary, but maybe a Brit on a first visit may not be so aware. Difficult to know all the countries in the world's customs until you have experience of that country. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Don't forget that RC is an international cruise liner, cruising in all parts of the world. Maybe the person you replied to wasn't cruising out of an American port? Of course we tip in UK, usually 10%, generally just in full service restaurants, taxis and hairdressers. In other parts of Europe we round up our bar bill and a couple of euros over. When in the States we tip more, and more frequently because we know the service staff aren't paid well and tips are part of their salary, but maybe a Brit on a first visit may not be so aware. Difficult to know all the countries in the world's customs until you have experience of that country. 

Good point. Most traveling don't know, learn or observe customs and courtesies. Tip is one

Edited by ONECRUISER

2 hours ago, sgmn said:

"...a Brit on a first visit may not be so aware" has only themselves to blame for that lack of awareness. There is no excuse to willingly go to another country and then complain that you don't like how they do things there.

With information so easy to access on the internet, there is ZERO reason why a person shouldn't know about the local customs they will be visiting. As guests in another country, it is polite and respectful to do even rudimentary research into what those countries are like, what their customs are, and how to treat our guests kindly. We have visited almost 50 countries over the years, and have always read up on what is unique about every one of those countries, first by purchasing travel books before the internet, and now by searching online.

We visit the UK every few years. There are things done there that are different than here at home. I would NEVER consider going on public forums and complaining about how you do things in your country as a result of such a visit, much less suggesting that you are inferior for those differences. That would be extremely rude and arrogant. But, we see this type of rudeness towards residents of the USA every day on these forums by certain countries that I will not name (though everyone here knows who they are). 

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

"...a Brit on a first visit may not be so aware" has only themselves to blame for that lack of awareness. There is no excuse to willingly go to another country and then complain that you don't like how they do things there.

With information so easy to access on the internet, there is ZERO reason why a person shouldn't know about the local customs they will be visiting. As guests in another country, it is polite and respectful to do even rudimentary research into what those countries are like, what their customs are, and how to treat our guests kindly. We have visited almost 50 countries over the years, and have always read up on what is unique about every one of those countries, first by purchasing travel books before the internet, and now by searching online.

We visit the UK every few years. There are things done there that are different than here at home. I would NEVER consider going on public forums and complaining about how you do things in your country as a result of such a visit, much less suggesting that you are inferior for those differences. That would be extremely rude and arrogant. But, we see this type of rudeness towards residents of the USA every day on these forums by certain countries that I will not name (though everyone here knows who they are). 

You nailed it.

4 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

So you say travelling on a cruise ship in Europe with an international crew, thereof maybe a hand full from the US, on a ship from a former European cruise line which is now based in the US is like visiting the US? 

Following the suggested gratuity amount is fair enough, and we always do, but this ships are still not America and will never be!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

"I won't generalize but here watch me generalize"...  This is typical of eurocentric thinking.

The pompous ignorance of many Europeans and their willingness to stereotype Americans has shocked me for years.  I lived in Europe for a year and have traveled across Europe (UK, France, Holland, Spain, Germany, Italy, Monaco, Norway and Denmark) repeatedly and seen demonstrated the hostile attitude Europeans can display towards American tourists thinking I am an American. I am always polite, observe local customs and try to speak the local language. Without any provocation I have been treated poorly. I am not American. Immediately after correcting their misassumption of my citizenship I am treated shockingly better.  

Signed a proud Canadian 

🙂 

My husband is a Canadian who has lived in UK for 33 years. He has never been treated as you state above either in Europe where we have travelled extensively or in UK. Only had genuine interest in 'what part of America do you come from". 😏People are different in world over, some grumpy, most pleasent. If he met someone with attitude he wouldn't assume it was because he had an accent. Sorry you've had such bad experiences 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Balsam12 said:

Yes it has, however the basic tenet is that the US is pretty much the only country in the world that has the "mandatory gratuity" model.

They are totally optional! You can remove any time - no questions asked!👍

It is only some users on CC that have a problem...RCI does not - they make ton of money with that scam.....🙄

1 hour ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

No reason - they let you remove tips any time!👍

But I don't want to remove them!!!  I don't think they should be able to be removed, that's why I agree, include them in the base cost as they do in Australia. Believe in Australia the base price has to include all mandatory items which it why airline prices ex Australia include fuel service in the base price not as a mandatory tax. What I do wish they would exclude on UK site is the almost constant included drink package which not everyone uses and which really bumps up the price   and why I have started using a US travel agent more and more. Looking at a celebrity cruise in September, the US site is around £600 pounds less (adding in tips) than the celebrity UK site which includes drink package 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 1

On 6/24/2019 at 10:20 AM, kernow said:

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/335731/msc-cruises-to-include-service-charges-within-fare?fbclid=IwAR0AfEGhJ9Fbu22YVZoQP1XhcsyR26448dvzfnfVCBFE7V76aYF8_2Xu3hY

As yet another cruise line is to include service charges in the basic fare, hopefully RCL will consider doing the same for UK bookings. I think most of us in the UK would prefer this even if it means prices increase to cover it. 

So if something happens where you miss your cruise you not only lose the cruise fare you also lose the service charge, for service that you never received, which is now bundled into your cruise fare? Sounds like this just puts more of the customer's money at risk.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

So if something happens where you miss your cruise you not only lose the cruise fare you also lose the service charge, for service that you never received, which is now bundled into your cruise fare? Sounds like this just puts more of the customer's money at risk.

I don't think anyone in the UK would ever cruise without insurance so it's a non issue.

• Like 1