Sea Day Brunch Questions

thesmiths

On 6/27/2019 at 2:20 PM, IamPEBJ said:

Glory last week and we had the old menu.

I hope it is still old menu last week of July.  I LOVE the flaming tomato soup. It is not on new menu as far as I can see.

On 6/30/2019 at 8:55 AM, cruisewithwife said:

Seaday brunch is the best and a few times we have went early to have straight up breakfast items and swing back right before it closes again later for some lunch options

THIS IS GENIUS!!!!

• Like 1

As I have not read all the postings, the answer "may" be there, but I will ask now.

For the sea day brunch, do I understand you do NOT go to the MDR?  If not do we go to the buffet area, or where?

Just now, beshears said:

For the sea day brunch, do I understand you do NOT go to the MDR?  If not do we go to the buffet area, or where?

Sea day brunch is in one of the MDRs.

We did the Sea day brunch on the Splendor last month and it was delicious. The service was painfully slow, but worth the wait. 12 hour French toast was amazing. My son loves French toast and he said it is even better than mine. I had it twice on the cruise, and he is right! The lobster Benedict was well worth the extra charge! It was so delicious. Is it me, or does the OJ on the ship taste like Tampico? I was craving real OJ. 

Does anyone know what kind of coffee they brew on the ship. Next time, I’m bringing my Kcups and my manual Kcup brewer that we use for camping, for morning coffee. I’ll just ask room service for hot water and half and half. The cold brew at the coffee shop was ok, but the regular coffee was not very good.

Edited by PrisPRN

16 hours ago, PrisPRN said:

Is it me, or does the OJ on the ship taste like Tampico? I was craving real OJ. 

All the juices in the Lido deck dispensers are juice cocktails, not 100% juice.  Very likely the same juice cocktails are served in the MDR (I haven't noticed a difference in taste between OJ on the Lido deck and MDR), except for the fresh-squeezed juices at an additional charge.

My question:  The so-called "hash browns" remind me in appearance of McDonald's. I can eat McD's at home. I wasn't expecting what was shown.☹️

Any chance there are homefries that don't look/taste deep fried?

🌻🌻

Bobbi

9 hours ago, Markmom18 said:

My question:  The so-called "hash browns" remind me in appearance of McDonald's. I can eat McD's at home. I wasn't expecting what was shown.☹️

Any chance there are homefries that don't look/taste deep fried?

🌻🌻

Bobbi

The home fries are sauteed.

• Like 1

😯 Conflicting answers from Coevan & MisterOJ2??? 

I'll just end my inquiry here. And stick to my usual yogurt & a pastry in my room.  Everybody was raving about the Sea Day Brunch, so thought I might try it.

I'm weird or just from a different era,  I consider potatoes part of a "biggie breakfast".  It's cool, I'll make my own breakfast at home.  🙂

🌻🌻

Bobbi

10 hours ago, Markmom18 said:

😯 Conflicting answers from Coevan & MisterOJ2??? 

I'll just end my inquiry here. And stick to my usual yogurt & a pastry in my room.  Everybody was raving about the Sea Day Brunch, so thought I might try it.

I'm weird or just from a different era,  I consider potatoes part of a "biggie breakfast".  It's cool, I'll make my own breakfast at home.  🙂

🌻🌻

Bobbi

I think the conflicting answers probably comes from a misunderstand of the term "saute."

My wife and I were on the Fantasy two weeks ago with the new menu. There are two potato options on the brunch menu (well, three if you count french fries) and they are "hash brown potatoes" and "brunch potatoes." We ordered both. The hash browns are very similar to McDonald's. They are grated potatoes, formed into a patty and deep fried. The "brunch potatoes" are cut into chunks and then sauteed with onion. The term saute means "to fry quickly in a small amount of some kind of fat" (in this case, I suspect the fat used was a simple vegetable oil) and that's exactly how these were done. Now, it might have been in a skillet or on a flat-top grill, but they were definitely sauteed.

Edited by MisterOJ2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

MisterOJ2 I really appreciate you taking the time to describe the difference, thank you! 

People reading might think, oh they are just potatoes! 😳  😅   Yep!    

🌻🌻

Bobbi

2 hours ago, MisterOJ2 said:

I think the conflicting answers probably comes from a misunderstand of the term "saute."

My wife and I were on the Fantasy two weeks ago with the new menu. There are two potato options on the brunch menu (well, three if you count french fries) and they are "hash brown potatoes" and "brunch potatoes." We ordered both. The hash browns are very similar to McDonald's. They are grated potatoes, formed into a patty and deep fried. The "brunch potatoes" are cut into chunks and then sauteed with onion. The term saute means "to fry quickly in a small amount of some kind of fat" (in this case, I suspect the fat used was a simple vegetable oil) and that's exactly how these were done. Now, it might have been in a skillet or on a flat-top grill, but they were definitely sauteed.

exactly, agreed was only thinking about hash browns. 

• Like 1

On 7/4/2019 at 8:12 AM, MisterOJ2 said:

The home fries are sauteed.

On 7/5/2019 at 12:25 PM, coevan said:

exactly, agreed was only thinking about hash browns

I usually need clarification on potatoes served at breakfast because the name and style varies so often by region.  When I read hash browns I think McDonald's style pressed and deep fried shaped shredded potatoes (sometimes with onion), but I have also seen hash browns that are shredded, not pressed and loosely fried (sometimes with onion).  Home fries are usually diced and seasoned potatoes, but can be the loose shredded too.  I've seen breakfast potatoes that are slices too (more baked texture than fried) which can be another option. 

They are all fine by me, but if you are expecting one and get another it can be disappointing.  It's nice to read Carnival offers both 🙂