What has the Diamond Concierge ever done?

52 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

That is your personal own definition... not the official one! 🙄

While it may not be an official definition, I do not know of anyone in civilized society that does not believe "Servant" is an elitist word that is meant to be negative.   No-one with a shred of decency or humanity calls someone a servant unless they mean to say that person is "beneath" them and somehow to be exploited. 
It may not be the "official" definition but it is definitely the definition most accepted by society in general. 

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, legaljen1969 said:

While it may not be an official definition, I do not know of anyone in civilized society that does not believe "Servant" is an elitist word that is meant to be negative.   No-one with a shred of decency or humanity calls someone a servant unless they mean to say that person is "beneath" them and somehow to be exploited. 
It may not be the "official" definition but it is definitely the definition most accepted by society in general. 

Well said.

Concierges have been helpful to us in the past. Besides just being a friendly and welcoming face making sure the cocktail hours run smoothly (we've seen them working with the crew to get appetizers, drinks, etc. all flowing) they also help with customer service things. In our case, we wanted to get into a specialty restaurant that, we were told, was completely booked. Somehow the concierge got us in. They've also helped us with shows, figuring out excursions, and other things. I think since they are helping Diamond and above they have some extra pull around the ship.

I said "friendly and welcoming face" and I didn't meant that to be condescending, by any means. It's always a treat to get to know them and feel a little more special being recognized for loyalty.  We don't like to flaunt our status around (don't wear pins or brag about it or anything), but we keep coming  back to Royal because they make us feel special and give us perks.  The whole Diamond Club experience is one of treats of our cruises.  I think the concierges work behind the scenes making sure that all runs smoothly.

Last cruise the concierge was even fixing and filling the espresso machine one morning.

Tom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, legaljen1969 said:

I don't think you need to exploit a servant and, I suspect, most of the people working on ships consider themselves servants in this capacity.  I don't think may people berate or whip their people that serve them these days.  And, the fact that they are serving us doesn't mean we don't respect them or think they are unfit persons.  I don't think it's fair to assume the the person who originally used the word lacks "a shred of decency".

It's a small point, but one thing we love about cruising is for a week or so we get to live like elitists where normally we do not.  It's fun to be special and have others serve us while on vacation.  Ironically, if they came to our place we gladly serve them back, but it doesn't mean we don't enjoy the idea of being royalty for a week.  They even got the idea in the name Royal Caribbean.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, legaljen1969 said:

English is not Thor's native tongue.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

Though he is right about the definition. 

What I meant is non native speakers can and will come up with word choices that are peculiar.  

Now I'm pretty sure he knew what he was doing, but per the rules here we are not allowed to point out grammar mistakes.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

What I meant is non native speakers can and will come up with word choices that are peculiar.  

Now I'm pretty sure he knew what he was doing, but per the rules here we are not allowed to point out grammar mistakes.

Agree. He knew what he was saying.

• Like 3

On the Freedom years ago we were in line for the tender in Grand Cayman, the Diamond Concierge was going through the line and it seemed like he knew all the Diamond and above, and was pulling us out of line, and taking us to the front to get on the tender.   I thought it was pretty awesome!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, legaljen1969 said:

So you know all societies around the globe? 🤔

Who surveyed that?🤔

Again lots of your own definition and assumptions....🙄

I am very sure you are applying your very own or your own societies view to the case!

But that's alright I don't care.... 🤘

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik

4 hours ago, tserface said:

And, the fact that they are serving us doesn't mean we don't respect them or think they are unfit persons.

Absolutely! 👍

It is a very valuable task and job!

I have no idea why you would think a servant is any less than a doctor, lawyer or pilot!  🙄

Everybody just pause a minute and think why it is so hard for you to think outside a box and how fast you are to belittle and assume someone - that you know nothing about!

Scary isn't it? 😱

Gay, Lesbian, Swinger, Black, Servants, people small or big.... everybody deserves respect! 👍

And your societies view must not be the ONLY "right" one! 😎

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, mo&fran said:

I wear suspenders to keep my trousers from falling off. Once I forgot to pack them. Asked the concierge about my problem.

He said he would call the tailor on the ship.  By the time I got back to my cabin, there were suspenders waiting for me.

I was on a B2B cruise, there was a big time noro outbreak on the first cruise, and I had it. The next cruise I mentioned that I had been sick.  He asked why I hadn't called him. I said I did not want to bother him. He said that was what he was there for. 

13 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

That's a good one, haven't heard that before!😉

Since it apparently is now a requirement that all threads go off topic, here I go..............

It wasn't a concierge, but it was Guest Services, and the Concierge is part of that department.

My sandal broke.   I mentioned it to someone during drinks, and that cruiser said that something similar had happened to him on another cruise on another ship, and that Guest Services had someone in some department solve the problem.

So, I went down to Guest Services with my sandals in hand, during a quiet time, and explained the issue.  They took the broken sandal, sent it to their maintenance department ( 😳 😉 😁 ), and a couple of days later, I had my sandal.  It had been fixed beautifully.  As a matter of fact, I am wearing them right now.

🤩

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Since it apparently is now a requirement that all threads go off topic, here I go..............

It wasn't a concierge, but it was Guest Services, and the Concierge is part of that department.

My sandal broke.   I mentioned it to someone during drinks, and that cruiser said that something similar had happened to him on another cruise on another ship, and that Guest Services had someone in some department solve the problem.

So, I went down to Guest Services with my sandals in hand, during a quiet time, and explained the issue.  They took the broken sandal, sent it to their maintenance department ( 😳 😉 😁 ), and a couple of days later, I had my sandal.  It had been fixed beautifully.  As a matter of fact, I am wearing them right now.

🤩

The Loyalty Ambassador on MJ gave me a jacket so I would fit in at the Captains Table.  

Honestly the first and last time I did not bring a jacket. 

They had quite the collection in the back of Guest Services

a few months later i dropped off a white dinner jacket for the collection

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

They took the broken sandal, sent it to their maintenance department ( 😳 😉 😁 ), and a couple of days later, I had my sandal.  It had been fixed beautifully.  As a matter of fact, I am wearing them right now. 

Remember you need to redo the maintenance every 5 years now! 😁😱

We don't really use the concierge much anymore. Not since Maritza left. She was like the epitome of over the top awesomeness. And the passengers and staff loved her. :classic_biggrin: It was the second time that we had sailed with her as concierge. I was sitting in the Next Cruise waiting chairs, when she walked by. (It was back when Next Cruise certificates were worthwhile).

She stopped by and asked, "Mrs. H, why are you waiting in here?"

I said that that I was waiting to purchase a Next Cruise certificate.

Maritza said, "Oh don't be silly. For you and Mr. H? I have your information. I will just get one and deliver it to your stateroom. You don't have to wait in here. "

And she did. 

To this day, I think it was the most impressive customer service thing that has happened for us on a ship. 

We don't really have special service like that anymore, but we still like the cruiseline. :classic_smile:

12 hours ago, legaljen1969 said:

I know!! So demeaning and disgusting.

Little harsh aren't you?

12 hours ago, legaljen1969 said:

No, that's not an alternative word for a staff or service "team" member.  A servant is a pejorative term.  Servant=slave.  Not okay.

As Thor and Biker19 said - one that serves you. They also happen to be paid employees. Slave - someone in horrible working conditions, abused, etc and owned by someone else. There is a HUGE difference! Some people are just to uptight in their political correctness these days.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

🤩

Thanks.

Good to know.

On 6/26/2019 at 8:59 AM, papaflamingo said:

Sure he did... he ran the Diamond Lounge.  He made sure that food and drinks were available, coffee machines filled, waiters were efficient helping with refills, making sure everyone had seats, were comfortable.   He didn't do anything special for YOU likely because you didn't need anything special done.   One poster said they didn't even know the Diamond Concierge existed.  Well, wonder who they thought ran the lounge?  

To this point, on our recent Freedom cruise, I popped into the diamond lounge for coffee one morning just prior to the breakfast hour. Imagine my surprise to see the hotel director, food and beverage manager, and the DL concierge inspecting the breakfast set up. And I mean inspecting... Making sure the food was presented properly, that there was sufficient silverware, checking the coffee machine, etc.

I felt like I walked into a final exam. 

There is a LOT of behind the scenes stuff in the DL that most of us never see. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

🤩

How much do you tip your cobbler?  I assume that they aren't included in the DSC...

This could open a whole new can of worms on the subject of tipping. 

Edited by 3CatsInMA

20 hours ago, Coralc said:

We don't really use the concierge much anymore. Not since Maritza left. She was like the epitome of over the top awesomeness. And the passengers and staff loved her. :classic_biggrin: It was the second time that we had sailed with her as concierge. I was sitting in the Next Cruise waiting chairs, when she walked by. (It was back when Next Cruise certificates were worthwhile).

She stopped by and asked, "Mrs. H, why are you waiting in here?"

I said that that I was waiting to purchase a Next Cruise certificate.

Maritza said, "Oh don't be silly. For you and Mr. H? I have your information. I will just get one and deliver it to your stateroom. You don't have to wait in here. "

And she did. 

To this day, I think it was the most impressive customer service thing that has happened for us on a ship. 

We don't really have special service like that anymore, but we still like the cruiseline. :classic_smile:

Maritza was a fabulous concierge!  We sailed with her on Serenade in 2006.  I think she trained some of the concierges.  

We sailed on Mariner last month and Tao, the DL concierge was fabulous.  There were small sandwiches waiting for us on embarkation day when we were waiting for cabins to open up.  He also took care of special requests.  On the last night an Oasis class ship was sailing by us and he called up to the Bridge to find out which ship (it was Symphony doing a modified itinerary -- 3 and 4 nights -- Nassau and CoCo Cay.)  

As Thor and Biker19 said - one that serves you. They also happen to be paid employees. Slave - someone in horrible working conditions, abused, etc and owned by someone else. There is a HUGE difference! Some people are just to uptight in their political correctness these days.
Yes, and some are tone deaf

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 9:10 PM, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Absolutely! 👍

It is a very valuable task and job!

I have no idea why you would think a servant is any less than a doctor, lawyer or pilot!  🙄

Everybody just pause a minute and think why it is so hard for you to think outside a box and how fast you are to belittle and assume someone - that you know nothing about!

Scary isn't it? 😱

Gay, Lesbian, Swinger, Black, Servants, people small or big.... everybody deserves respect! 👍

And your societies view must not be the ONLY "right" one! 😎

Well if everyone is "right" then no-one is wrong.  I get that the logic is we are all "equal" and everyone should stay in their own lane but the concept doesn't really work out that way carried to its logical end.