Citi credit card trip insurance benefits - going away - FYI

FlyerTalker

For those of you who rely/use various trip insurance products provided through your credit card.

Citibank has announced that they are removing a number of various coverages that were provided by their premium credit cards.  This includes rental car insurance, trip cancellation and interruption, trip delay and more.

A more detailed blog posting can be found here:

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2019/06/24/citi-gutting-most-travel-protections-and-other-card-benefits-across-all-premium-products/

Caveat emptor.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2019 at 12:43 AM, nini said:

I called CitiBank and this benefit ends September 22. However, if a trip was booked before then, it will be covered. Darn, this was a nice benefit.

I wonder what they mean by 'booked'.  I've got one cruise which will be complete by 22 Sep. Obviously covered. I've another cruise in 2020 where I've only paid the deposit.  Is that covered?

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I wonder what they mean by 'booked'.  I've got one cruise which will be complete by 22 Sep. Obviously covered. I've another cruise in 2020 where I've only paid the deposit.  Is that covered?

I was told "paid" for which I took to meaning paid in full. Will be interested to know their answer..

This was on the Citibank Card website: So, now it is in writing.

"Important changes are coming to some of your Card Benefits.

The following is a summary of changes that are being made to your card benefits.

Effective September 22, 2019, Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection and Citi® Price Rewind will be discontinued and will no longer be provided for purchases made on or after that date. Coverage for purchases made before that date will continue to be available, and you may continue to file for benefits in accordance with the current benefit terms.

We are making these changes so that we can continue providing the key benefits that our customers use and value most at no additional cost. This change requires no action on your part. See FAQs under Card Benefits for answers to Frequently Asked Questions regarding these changes.

As a cardmember, you will continue to receive a range of other card benefits including FICO® Credit Score, Citi® Identity Theft Solutions, and Citi Entertainment."

I would ask them specifically:

- I booked a cruise in May 2019 and paid $600 deposit on that date.

- My cruise leaves in September 2020.  If I pay the remainder of my cruise ($4000) in June 2020 using my citi card, will the $4000 be covered.

It really comes down to how the citi defines 'purchase'.  I could see where they would say the $600 deposit was paid prior to Sep 2019, therefore it would be a covered purchase.  I could also see where they would say the $4000 remainder was not purchased until after Sep 2019 and would not be covered.

I may sound picky but I spent many years dealing with contracts.  Definition of terms is critical.  

• Like 2

On 6/26/2019 at 11:20 AM, FlyerTalker said:

For those of you who rely/use various trip insurance products provided through your credit card.

Citibank has announced that they are removing a number of various coverages that were provided by their premium credit cards.  This includes rental car insurance, trip cancellation and interruption, trip delay and more.

Disappointing! Thanks for the info.

• 3 weeks later...

I specifically asked them this question in relation to 2 land tours I booked in April and May 2020 where I paid deposits, but need to pay the balance. I was told I was fine. I was this by the benefits department as I had called to cancel my Prestige card.