Cheers question

pjfnme

Hi all.  I have a question regarding a situation that I've never experienced before now so please don't judge me too harshly.  We always purchase the Cheers program when cruising with Carnival as both the DH and I enjoy our adult beverages.😋  We are booked on a European cruise next year that is extremely port intensive (only 2 sea days) and feel that it would not be as advantageous as it normally is to purchase the Cheers package as we won't be on the ship most of the time.  My DH suggested just purchasing one package as we are currently each assigned to our own cabin along with one of our two 20 year old children.   That said, we would not be forced to purchase a second package as the 2nd cabin passenger is not yet 21.  It seems like that should work except for the fact that we planned to swap our cabins around once on board.  When we do that would they automatically charge us for a second Cheers package?   I have never had this scenario before and as we always pre-purchase our drink plans, I wasn't sure if they would go back and look for it once we switched our cabins.   If you have any insight on this, please let me know.  Thanks!   

One question, one concern:

1. Will either child be 21 by the sail date?  If so, you'll need to purchase Cheers for them too if in the same cabin as the one parent purchasing it.  (Actually, what is the rule for drinking age on European sailings?  I would actually expect it to be different from US sailings...)

2. If you are intending to "share" the Cheers package between the two adults...well, you know where that is going.  And be aware of the consequences if you get caught.

7 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

One question, one concern:

1. Will either child be 21 by the sail date?  If so, you'll need to purchase Cheers for them too if in the same cabin as the one parent purchasing it.  (Actually, what is the rule for drinking age on European sailings?  I would actually expect it to be different from US sailings...)

2. If you are intending to "share" the Cheers package between the two adults...well, you know where that is going.  And be aware of the consequences if you get caught.

Thanks for the response.  Neither of them will be 21 - they are 19 now and will have turned 20 by the time of our cruise.  My DH drinks more than I do so I thought he could use the package and I could just purchase my few each day as needed.  We don't do the sharing thing although I have purchased some non-alcoholic drinks with it for my daughter in the past.  I also thought that the legal drinking age in Europe might come into play, but so far I haven't been able to find anything on it.  The only thing I have read at all about the drink packages on the Carnival European cruises was the issue with the addition of VAT.  This might end up being one of those times where we just purchase a bottle from the Fun Shops to have in the cabin.

2 minutes ago, mdsgu said:

We sailed NCL in the Mediterranean recently and had the drink package.  No extra VAT was charged to our drinks at the bar.

Thanks for that information.  I read a couple of posts where people were complaining about VAT being added to each drink that they purchased on a Carnival ship even though they had purchased the Cheers package ahead of time.  It's a bit confusing in that regard as no one with CCL seems to be able to give a firm or knowledgeable answer when questioned.    

It might not even be an issue after all.  I just went through the purchase process for Cheers to see if the VAT was added to the package along with the 18% gratuity and I received a message that Cheers was not available for purchase on that cruise.  I can't verify that anywhere on Carnival's website but they may not be offering it for European cruises next year.  If anyone knows otherwise please let me know.  Thanks again.

47 minutes ago, pjfnme said:

Hi all.  I have a question regarding a situation that I've never experienced before now so please don't judge me too harshly.  We always purchase the Cheers program when cruising with Carnival as both the DH and I enjoy our adult beverages.😋  We are booked on a European cruise next year that is extremely port intensive (only 2 sea days) and feel that it would not be as advantageous as it normally is to purchase the Cheers package as we won't be on the ship most of the time.  My DH suggested just purchasing one package as we are currently each assigned to our own cabin along with one of our two 20 year old children.   That said, we would not be forced to purchase a second package as the 2nd cabin passenger is not yet 21.  It seems like that should work except for the fact that we planned to swap our cabins around once on board.  When we do that would they automatically charge us for a second Cheers package?   I have never had this scenario before and as we always pre-purchase our drink plans, I wasn't sure if they would go back and look for it once we switched our cabins.   If you have any insight on this, please let me know.  Thanks!   

Just an FYI...from my own past experience and from what others have said, it has always been easy to carry on alcohol in Europe. For some reason over there, they don’t seem to care that much. Of course, that could change at any time. What port are you leaving from!

1 minute ago, coevan said:

anyone know if Carnival adjusts their 21 year old policy as drinking age in Europe is 18. 

I just scoured the Carnival websites (US, UK, and Australia), and various internet search results, and it appears Carnival has implemented the 21 year old policy worldwide except for Australia.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mdsgu said:

We sailed NCL in the Mediterranean recently and had the drink package.  No extra VAT was charged to our drinks at the bar.

24 minutes ago, pjfnme said:

Thanks for that information.  I read a couple of posts where people were complaining about VAT being added to each drink that they purchased on a Carnival ship even though they had purchased the Cheers package ahead of time.  It's a bit confusing in that regard as no one with CCL seems to be able to give a firm or knowledgeable answer when questioned.    

It is possible, like US sailings, that Carnival (and other lines) charges VAT when within a certain distance of ports, and does not when considered to be in "international waters".  I am unfamiliar with European territorial ranges and tax implementations, so I cannot comment any further.  (Though now I am curious, so I will probably research it in some spare time.)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

Just an FYI...from my own past experience and from what others have said, it has always been easy to carry on alcohol in Europe. For some reason over there, they don’t seem to care that much. Of course, that could change at any time. What port are you leaving from!

We're leaving from Barcelona.  Is it easier to carry it on during embarkation or at each individual port?  

1 minute ago, coevan said:

looks like a few cruise lines allow 18 year old drinking with parental consent, apparently not Carnival

Norwegian does this at sea. 18 year olds are allowed to drink with parental consent.

18-20 for beer and wine (with parent consent) 21 for all alcoholic beverages.

7 minutes ago, pjfnme said:

We're leaving from Barcelona.  Is it easier to carry it on during embarkation or at each individual port?  

In Barcelona, there is a store after security, so easy to purchase there. I bought stuff there and in the ports. 

3 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

In Barcelona, there is a store after security, so easy to purchase there. I bought stuff there and in the ports. 

So they let you carry the liquor on board if you purchase it after the security checkpoint or while in port?  I've never done a cruise in Europe so this is new to me - definitely not allowed in the US!

Just now, pjfnme said:

So they let you carry the liquor on board if you purchase it after the security checkpoint or while in port?  I've never done a cruise in Europe so this is new to me - definitely not allowed in the US!

Yes to both...I have only sailed Carnival and Royal in Europe, and Carnival was the only one that allowed it. I do remember on the Vista in 2016, when VAT was in affect, Cheers was not offered. Also, no alcohol was being sold in the duty free stores either. 

On 10/31/2018 at 6:52 PM, coevan said:

20 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

Yes to both...I have only sailed Carnival and Royal in Europe, and Carnival was the only one that allowed it. I do remember on the Vista in 2016, when VAT was in affect, Cheers was not offered. Also, no alcohol was being sold in the duty free stores either. 

Wow.  That's really good to know.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, jbethel11 said:

I am not quite sure, but I believe all USA headquartered companies (Carnival, Norwegian, Royal) implement the 21 years old or older rule.

1 hour ago, jbethel11 said:

Norwegian does this at sea. 18 year olds are allowed to drink with parental consent.

18-20 for beer and wine (with parent consent) 21 for all alcoholic beverages.

Ah Grasshopper...you have answered your own question regarding the Corks and Caps package sold by NCL that allows those that are 18-20 to consume wine and beer only.  If they are the third member of a cabin that has an included soda package as a promotion, then the parents can pay the difference as an upgrade so their young adult can enjoy their alcoholic beverages of choice sans hard liquor.

1 hour ago, pjfnme said:

Back in the day, you could buy rum or whatever alcohol you wanted in San Juan after going through security in the duty free shop and then take it on board.  Enjoyed a liter bottle of Bacardi Orange with my best friend from college.  Not sure if this is still allowed or not.  Have not embarked from PR in over 10 years.

2 hours ago, pjfnme said:

I believe Disney allows liquor to be brought aboard in U.S.