Barcelona Transfer and Early Arrival - What to do?

darlu

Coming into Barcelona for our first Azamara cruise on July 27.  We land at 7:45 in the morning.  We figure we would go to the port to drop off our bags.  First question:  should we just take a cab to the port for about 39 euros (and maybe 3 more to get to the ship at the pier, or just pay $30 each for Azamara transfers, or take a shared mini van from the airport?  We’ve got a noon time to board the ship so we hope they will just take our bags.  Last question:  what would you do with your morning in Barcelona?  We figure we will just walk around Las Ramblas (without the bags) and grab a bite and explore and then return at some point to board the Pursuit.  Obviously we’ve never been to Barcelona and welcome any pointers.

I would take your own taxi.  You will wait aged at the airport on the bus, unlikely they would leave until 10-1030.

It’s not a pier you embark at as such but part of the World Trade complex so no additional Euros (but make sure as it’s not the terminal the big ships use that the driver understands). 

You should be able to drop bags by 9.  You can then head off as you’re about 8 minutes walk or less to Las Ramblas. Another option if you aren’t familiar with all of Barcelona all the different hoho buses pick up from the road outside the terminal which is another way to spend the rimd. 

• Like 1

If you haven’t been to Barcelona, once you’ve dealt with suitcases, walk up Las Ramblas from the cruise port (not far) - very pleasant before the tourist crowds take over; then do the Hop On Hop Off from the square at the top of Ramblas - starts at 9.30 or 10.00am. 3 routes but take the one that  includes Sagrada Familia or the route that includes the Olympic hill area - both routes wonderful but I probably prefer the latter.  Gives you a great overview of Barcelona, a fantastic scenic city, so you’ll want to go back. Once finished, catch a taxi to the ship - short distance, so inexpensive.

Edited by AJCM

2 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

The port cable car takes you to Torre de Miramar on Montjuic mountain.  https://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/attractions/cable-car-barcelona.html

Yes but it’d not at the cruise terminal.  There’s a tower at the terminal and the cars go overhead.  It’s a good mile plus walk to the port end of the route from the cruise terminal    Have you done it? We tried to walk to it in the heat one time and gave up.  

Edited by uktog

3 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

Not just Las Ramblas, be on your guard anywhere in Barcelona.

Agree. I have never knowingly had a problem on Las Rambla, but was accosted by a group of three determined women in front of another street’s perfume store.

However, the post you are referencing warned about “swarms” of pickpockets. Generally they work in small groups.

And “being on your guard” is certainly good advice wherever you are in much of Europe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nordski said:

Agree. I have never knowingly had a problem on Las Rambla, but was accosted by a group of three determined women in front of another street’s perfume store.

However, the post you are referencing warned about “swarms” of pickpockets. Generally they work in small groups.

And “being on your guard” is certainly good advice wherever you are in much of Europe.

I agree it is often young womem, the only problem we have ever had was 2 women pretending to carry out a survey and then asking for people to show ID, they would then try to get fingers into your wallet or purse.

This is just one of many things that they try and they are very clever, the police know it goes on but hardly ever take action.

Edited by Bloodaxe

24 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

I agree it is often young womem, the only problem we have ever had was 2 women pretending to carry out a survey and then asking for people to show ID, they would then try to get fingers into your wallet or purse.

This is just one of many things that they try and they are very clever, the police know it goes on but hardly ever take action.

In my experience one has to forget the propensity not to be rude to others, especially women. That is the norm that they utilize to their benefit. Sometimes one has to be quite assertive/aggressive to extract oneself from being accosted.

However, the incidents are still rare and never seem physically endangering..

The root issue is that in Barcelona, theft under a few thousand Euros is not a crime if you get caught--it's akin to a ticket for jaywalking. On the rare occasions they get caught, they slough the ticket off as cost-of-doing-business.

If you want to go inside Sagrada Familia, which is well worth it, you need to buy tickets ahead of time--and soon. Don't wait until the week before because they might not be available for the morning you want.

Last October, not during the high tourist season, the first tickets available to those who didn't buy them online were for a day and a half later. For our Azamara cruise out of Barcelona last October, we also arrived at 7:45 and had arranged for a guide to pick us up at the airport, give us a 3-hour tour (with stops and walking area in three areas), and then drop us off at the port.  A do-it-yourself approach to the morning is cheaper, but we didn't think we'd feel up to it after going a night without sleep.  

Is that your only day in Barcelona or does this ship stay overnight before departing?(we did this on our Viking cruise in 2017). I echo the comments about La Sagrada, they are very strict on the entry times to manage the flow of people.  I also thought Park Guell was well worth a visit, also buy those tickets in advance.  The gardens are beautiful and it would be a low stress/not too exhausting place to visit if you haven’t had much sleep.  We didn’t do the HOHO bus there as we had a Viking included tour but I’m a big fan of them and have taken them in many European cities — and if you are tired you can just stay on and get a good overview of the city.

45 minutes ago, AllisonJames said:

Is that your only day in Barcelona or does this ship stay overnight before departing?(we did this on our Viking cruise in 2017). I echo the comments about La Sagrada, they are very strict on the entry times to manage the flow of people.  I also thought Park Guell was well worth a visit, also buy those tickets in advance.  The gardens are beautiful and it would be a low stress/not too exhausting place to visit if you haven’t had much sleep.  We didn’t do the HOHO bus there as we had a Viking included tour but I’m a big fan of them and have taken them in many European cities — and if you are tired you can just stay on and get a good overview of the city.

All good suggestions.

In our opinion, the HOHO routes in Barcelona are some of the best you will encounter in any city. However they will probably be busy during the day.

if you are still awake in the evening, seeing the lighted fountains on one of the routes is a memorable experience, and perhaps you will have a choice of seats.

• Like 1

I did a half-day tour in Barcelona last year with Spain Day Tours and had one of the best tours I've ever had, so that might be worth looking into if you don't want to do the HoHo bus.  Only caveat is we didn't go inside Sagrada Familia.  We did go to Park Guell and Montjuic, both of which I enjoyed.

On 6/28/2019 at 7:59 AM, darlu said:

Coming into Barcelona for our first Azamara cruise on July 27.  We land at 7:45 in the morning.  We figure we would go to the port to drop off our bags.  First question:  should we just take a cab to the port for about 39 euros (and maybe 3 more to get to the ship at the pier, or just pay $30 each for Azamara transfers, or take a shared mini van from the airport?  We’ve got a noon time to board the ship so we hope they will just take our bags.  Last question:  what would you do with your morning in Barcelona?  We figure we will just walk around Las Ramblas (without the bags) and grab a bite and explore and then return at some point to board the Pursuit.  Obviously we’ve never been to Barcelona and welcome any pointers.

Take the Montjuic cable from the port. Great views of the city and port. Lovely cafe/restaurant at the top for a cooling drink or coffee 

3 minutes ago, DRJVH said:

Take the Montjuic cable from the port. Great views of the city and port. Lovely cafe/restaurant at the top for a cooling drink or coffee 

As stated earlier you need to walk all the way over to the other port about a mile, not an easy walk to get to the car station. There is no access to the cable from the World Centre pier where Azamara docks. The cable goes 200 feet over your head there. 

On 6/27/2019 at 10:59 PM, darlu said:

Drop of your luggage and go into town visit the Gothic Quarter and then visit the best Tapas Bar in Barcelona, Ciudad Condal at the top of Las Ramblas. If you were thinking of visiting the Sagrada Familia make sure you book the tickets before you go.

40 minutes ago, chromered7 said:

Drop of your luggage and go into town visit the Gothic Quarter and then visit the best Tapas Bar in Barcelona, Ciudad Condal at the top of Las Ramblas. If you were thinking of visiting the Sagrada Familia make sure you book the tickets before you go.

Chromered7, I agree that Ciudad Condal is one of the best tapas restaurants in Barcelona....I have been going there for years. The food is great and it's full of locals, not tourists. 

However, it is not situated anywhere near the top of the famous Las Ramblas! It is in the entirely different street Rambla de Catalunya, on the corner where it joins onto Passeig de Gracia....my favourite Barcelona shopping street. I will be eating there again very soon. 😄