December South Beach - when to book?

Hoyaheel

We're staying in Miami one night (Dec 22) pre-cruise. Neither of us have been to South Beach before (or, for me, Miami in forever) so we thought we'd stay there, do an Art Deco walking tour, have some fun food etc. Right now, I'm leaning toward the Mondrian and getting a bay view balcony -they're not that expensive. What are your recommendations for when to book? The prices we look at tend to be pre-pay no cancellation options since they're cheaper, so if the prices might go down, I'd wait until I hit my "no-comfort" zone (for this, at least late October) but if they'll only go up from here, I'd just make a decision and book now.....)

[my husband cares about view and a little location. I care about view and the value (how nice a room/the price) - and I've looked at reviews and rankings - but if you have a different rec, happy to hear it!!]

Non-refundable rates may sound great, but they paint you into this corner. We only book those if there is no other choice. Otherwise we book rates with no money upfront, and cancel and rebook if the rate goes down.

Given you want to go across Christmas, I think there is little chance the rate will go down, and quite possibly the cheapest rates are long gone. 

There is no reason to think December hotel rates in south Florida will go down between now and then.  

We almost always book rates that can be cancelled,  Would rather spend a little more and keep our options open.  Always keep looking around at rates and change if we find something better.

As mentioned book now.

I get the best refundable rate possible and then keep checking every few weeks.  If rates go up we are protected and if rates go down I followup to get the better price.

I do look for options such as reservations I can cancel the day of arrival, 24 hours before and three or four days before if more than one choice is offered and go with the one that is lowest in cost.  Again fully refundable.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...