UBER use in Ft. Lauderdale

kjg46

In July we will be starting our cruises in Ft Lauderdale on the Caribbean Princess. (Assume pier 2)

What has been the experience in getting to the port via Uber? Any problem entering in a private auto? 

Are  the fares similar to those offered by most hotels and motels. Also, any problems with availability?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

11 minutes ago, kjg46 said:

In July we will be starting our cruises in Ft Lauderdale on the Caribbean Princess. (Assume pier 2)

What has been the experience in getting to the port via Uber? Any problem entering in a private auto? 

Are  the fares similar to those offered by most hotels and motels. Also, any problems with availability?

Uber is the way to go.  We took Uber from FLL to Embassy Suites and I think it was around $13.  From Embassy Suites to Terminal 2 was around $6.  Embassy Suites charges $9 per person and you're on a bus.  Uber is a no brainer. 

Never had to wait very long.  Lots of Ubers in FLL

Edited by Kenswing
  • Like 1

We use Uber/Lyft all the time in Ft Lauderdale.

The only issue we had was with Uber recently at FLL heading to the Renaissance on 17th St.

The Uber driver called me to find out where we were going because they don't know until they pick you up.

This driver was cherry picking his trips. He said he was at the airport and I said no I don't think so because we are at the Uber pickup area and I did not see his car. The GPS on the APP showed him there but he was on the upper level above us ( driver trick). (passenger drop off) That way he could mark us as a no show and he would not get penalized.

Another driver who drives for both LYFT/UBER overheard us talking to the Uber driver on the phone and he explained the cherry picking of trips. If it is too short they will do anything not to complete the trip. Most of the time trying to blame the passenger so their rating is not affected. 

The other Uber Lyft driver ended up taking us for $10 and he described the procedure through the app to contest the failed ride. I had a credit from Uber within an hour and spoke with a rep who would further investigate. They admit this ride picking is a problem for Uber.

The driver that took us said if the driver calls either don't tell them where you are going (they will find out soon enough) or tell them you are headed to a much further stop.

Everything is so close to each other in Ft Lauderdale many hate the $5 $10 etc shorter trips.

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

The only issue we had was with Uber recently at FLL heading to the Renaissance on 17th St.

The Uber driver called me to find out where we were going because they don't know until they pick you up.

This driver was cherry picking his trips. He said he was at the airport and I said no I don't think so because we are at the Uber pickup area and I did not see his car. The GPS on the APP showed him there but he was on the upper level above us ( driver trick). (passenger drop off) That way he could mark us as a no show and he would not get penalized.

Another driver who drives for both LYFT/UBER overheard us talking to the Uber driver on the phone and he explained the cherry picking of trips. If it is too short they will do anything not to complete the trip. Most of the time trying to blame the passenger so their rating is not affected. 

The other Uber Lyft driver ended up taking us for $10 and he described the procedure through the app to contest the failed ride. I had a credit from Uber within an hour and spoke with a rep who would further investigate. They admit this ride picking is a problem for Uber.

The driver that took us said if the driver calls either don't tell them where you are going (they will find out soon enough) or tell them you are headed to a much further stop.

Everything is so close to each other in Ft Lauderdale many hate the $5 $10 etc shorter trips.

I had this same thing happen to me from the airport.  I ended up taking a taxi.  Since then, I only take uber/lyft to the airport not from. 

• Like 1

Tried to use Uber once at the airport. Using Verizon none of us had a signal in the pick up area. Please be advised to call from the terminal area or some place you have a good signal.

Off topic problem of no drivers  at Dulles at  11:00 pm at night last Wednsday.

Edited by Potstech

We used Uber going from our hotel in Hollywood to Princess Pier (I think it was 2).  It cost about $25, and $5 or $6 of that was moving through very slow traffic at the terminal.   I would definitely do that again instead of ordering a cab.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I must be missing something but I think that when we use either the Uber or Lyft app we input our destination before completing the order process.  The Uber driver knows our destination before they accept the assignment.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, kjg46 said:

There are plenty of uber and lyft cars.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I must be missing something but I think that when we use either the Uber or Lyft app we input our destination before completing the order process.  The Uber driver knows our destination before they accept the assignment.

Hank

No the Uber driver does not know the destination until he accepts the ride hence the reason why ours showed up but went to the upper drive instead of the lower level PU area just off the baggage claim so it would indicate he was there but I was not. That way he would not get penalized for canceling our ride.

Otherwise they would be picking and choosing the majority of rides.

3 hours ago, Lynniepoo said:

We used Uber going from our hotel in Hollywood to Princess Pier (I think it was 2).  It cost about $25, and $5 or $6 of that was moving through very slow traffic at the terminal.   I would definitely do that again instead of ordering a cab.

????

Uber price is a fixed price agreed to when the reservation is made. Why would there be any additional cost when there is slow traffic at the terminal?

• Like 1

exactly our experiences with UBER

8 hours ago, caribill said:

????

Uber price is a fixed price agreed to when the reservation is made. Why would there be any additional cost when there is slow traffic at the terminal?

11 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

No, they don't. The driver does not actually know your destination until they arrive at your pickup location. 

9 hours ago, caribill said:

????

There isn't additional cost when there is traffic to the price when booking the ride. 

• Like 1

I think that what's trying to be conveyed is that your ride may be subject to surge pricing.  This has happened to me on more than one occasion in Nashville when I was trying to get to the airport and there was a Predators or Titans game.  There's also surge pricing in a lot of cities during rush hour.

Roz

I guess I don't remember completely what happened at this point?  But I recall that it was super busy getting into the terminal, and somehow we ended up paying more.  I stand corrected, without the need for "????" after a sentence.  😉

I mentioned on one of the other Uber / Lyft threads that the company occasionally invokes surge pricing at Fort Lauderdale cruise port when drivers avoid the port. At some times, the crush of traffic on 17th street makes the trip into the terminal a time-suck. So, it may take 20 minutes to arrive at the ride share pick up. For a  $10 ride.

There was a discussion about it on one of the ride share driver boards. 

The traffic construction in the area may make things worse for a while.