Walk Through Lucca And Winery

darlu

Has anyone tried this Azamara shore excursion out of Livorno before?  We will likely explore Florence that day and get tickets to see the David, but this seems like a nice less busy and touristy option for the beginning of August!

Yes, I have done this excursion in the past. We had about two hours in Lucca...not long enough in my opinion but I do love it there.

The winery tour included a wine tasting of several different wines, both red and white with bread and antipasti and an opportunity to buy the wine of course. We were there for about an hour and a half. I did buy some wine and it was good.

All things considered it was quite good value for an Azamara tour. 

I’ve done it and agree that it was very enjoyable. Lucca deserves more time, but I considered it a quick introduction to a place I’ll visit again. I don’t know if Lottie went to the same winery, but it sounds like she might’ve. It was old, set in a very scenic grounds and I enjoyed that too. 

I’d probably do it or something similar again, rather than going to Florence during hot weather. 

Melissa

I did Lucca  and it poured- then went to this lovely old home and had a tour. Sat in a room with lots of wine and more food than Lottie had. They did not call it a winery but a person home. Great time there and sunny. One day I will go back to Lucca but with more time.

Last year from Livorno on Quest we did the “Tomato Tasting” tour. It was one of the best shore excursions we’ve ever done, despite a huge downpour whilst we had our lunch. . We first visited a beautiful hillside village called Bolgheri then went to the organic tomato farm. We tasted many different delicious foods and the local wine. 

The 4 hour tour actually was 5 1/2 hours and the most wonderfully peaceful and relaxing time in an otherwise busy itinerary. 

• Like 2

I think you need to decide is it Lucca or the winery that the bigger pull.  The tour Elbon describes we’ve done but it was when it was included for the big suites. Its called Lucca and visit a Comte and is a family visit, it’s very nice, way way  too much wine for most people and very (stupidly) expensive but ok if you’ve OBC or dollars to burn otherwise no   We would never have paid what was asked for it. 

The Lucca and winery tour was pleasant done it too, the winery visit does eat into your time in Lucca though.

i wanted the tour Cinnamon described this year but it got cancelled so I will certainly look for it next time, thanks for confirming it’s a good one 

A nice alternative is Lucca on your own if they offer it, you can then pick up a nice meal of your choosing and really enjoy the old town at your pace.

You can also DIY taking the train, not something I’ve done yet but I’m sure others here have 

We have also done the Lucca and winery tour and it was enjoyable but has others have said Lucca needs much longer to do it justice.

If we did it again I would choose the Lucca on your own or go by train.

I am away from home at the moment, so without access to specific details, but I have been to Lucca twice, once via train with another CC member. We each did our own thing for several hours before meeting again at a prearranged time to return to the ship. The most difficult part of that day was finding a taxi driver who was satisfied with the short fare to the train station . . . they all want you for the day trip.

The other occasion was when we had a large amount of OBC and I did an expensive full day, small group tour, which included a (brief) walk through Lucca, (definitely not long enough to really see the lovely town), then a visit to a winery which was more interesting than others I have done.

The highlight of the day was a tour guided by one of the owners through the family villa and grounds, followed by a delightful leisurely lunch with our charming host. A most enjoyable day, but I would not have parted with other than OBC for that type of tour.

7 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

You should. Lucca is lovely, even just to walk around on your own. 

Phil 

That is the plan now. I get more pictures in, more shops etc alone. Then a nice meal. Not sure ifv2020 or 2022 but I know I am booked.

2 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

There are some lovely restaurants in the Piazza dell Anfiteatro. Nice spot too. 

Phil 

saw that in a downpour. Ended up in a cafe drinking coffee with  another guest. Nut sure where the others went.  That afternoon you had a great time in Lucca with friends.