Just back from Equinox 6/22 sailing..

minimotorin

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

They may not be small (still smaller than Oasis Class) but they look and feel like SHIPS not floating hotels. To me the level of everything on Disney exceeds my experience with the other lines I have sailed. 

We are Disney Cruise fans, but when their prices got so much higher than other options, we tried some alternatives.  One of my favorite things about the Disney ships is also the nautical aspect.  Although we have been very impressed with Celebrity and feel like the service and food are on par with Disney, the Celebrity ships do feel like floating hotels.  We still really enjoy Celebrity cruises.  We have also enjoyed Holland America cruises and enjoy that they feel like ships.  And they have the full teak promenade deck like the Disney ships.  

• Like 1

Great to hear to enjoyed the cruise, we are really excited about our upcoming cruise on the ship, we’re sure it will as wonderful as our last Celebrity cruise. How did you find the bed, one or two have posted that they found the mattress quite hard ? How was embarkation ? How did you find it around the pool area, were there sun beds available ? Did you happen to use Murano while on board, we loved it last time.

Edited by yorky

5 minutes ago, cosmo1027 said:

We are Disney Cruise fans, but when their prices got so much higher than other options, we tried some alternatives.  One of my favorite things about the Disney ships is also the nautical aspect.  Although we have been very impressed with Celebrity and feel like the service and food are on par with Disney, the Celebrity ships do feel like floating hotels.  We still really enjoy Celebrity cruises.  We have also enjoyed Holland America cruises and enjoy that they feel like ships.  And they have the full teak promenade deck like the Disney ships.  

Thanks!

As a solo adult, the price differences are not always that much.

My one experience with HAL was not good. I was willing to chalk the dining room service up to being with a large group and rotating tables each night. But on an individual level, felt like I was bothering them any time I had to to go Guest Services, they messed up closing my account the night before debarkation so I had to go back from the ship entry/exit and wait in line when I was supposed to be on a post-Cruise excursion (it worked out but what a pain), my cabin WAS meticulously kept but based on seeing cabins from others in the group I attribute that to them thinking I was a DCL spy or something (I had DCL bath products because Elemis is not good for my hair or body, a DCL hoodie, and a few other Disney things with me and I returned to my cabin the first morning to find my Steward, an assistant, and the deck manager in my cabin with a checklist). Also, though I know they have tightened the smoking regs, they still seem to have one of the more liberal policies around. I might try them again sometime because they are pretty ships. But price-wise they are usually close enough to Disney for me that going back to something where I had a not great experience to try is tough. If I ever found the right itinerary at a big savings I might be less hesitant.

13 minutes ago, hcat said:

Other than price and maybe size, what attracted you to X?

Time slot, itin? Expectations? 

Equinox has been a fav of ours along with Silhouette, just curious!

Me? The owner of the travel agency I use has generally had good things to say about them. She was on the Edge at some point this past year and it blew me away - at booking it was more expensive than the Equinox (not so now, but because I booked with a $20 deposit and that promo is not running now I cannot just move the booking). I am limited by school vacations (teacher), and have no desire to embark and disembark from San Juan (I will stay on board at that port if I do end up keeping the Equinox - just don’t like that city), so the Equinox was it. As I have said, I was excited about it until I came over here and much of what I see is complaining about the ship looking run down, things like service and food deteriorating, etc. - and I am not talking about the “no footstools” thing as I don’t use them so NBD for me there.

I’m booked Aqua (it was still less than Edge when I booked it) on my TA’s advice as the price differential was not that much and she knows I like the Rainforest Room on Disney (similar to Persian Gardens) and felt like the smaller Blu would be better and avoid me having to share a table (always awkward as a solo traveler).

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

On 6/30/2019 at 12:24 PM, minimotorin said:

Yep crown bay.

Cabin was a verandah, #8209  

Furniture seemed average wear, so maybe not new.

Bedding was new. Carpet was new.

Veranda chairs were reclining and table on veranda was small cocktail height?  Did use it for foot rest.

Did have table in cabin, slightly larger than outside table

Never checked the app to see if I could open door but door locks were open by key pass touch

Entertainment was solid, main theater shows were not up to say Broadway standing but still very enjoyable and the sets/costumes were great.  Singing talent was top notch.

Main dining was excellent, never had one item I didn't like.  I did miss having sausage gravy/biscuits on the buffet but that was my one food complaint.  Murano food seemed at level of main dining room and I don't see a reason to do that again.  Food and show in La Petite chef was a cut above, highly recommend that option.

We also enjoy the main dining room and Le Petit Chef is a WONDERFUL unique experience.

We tried Celebrity a few years ago after cruising RCL and NCL (less frequently). Radiance class was my favorite class ship... Voyager was second, did not like Freedom as much (did not seem to have enough elevators, and they were small so felt more crowded), did not think we would like Oasis... but loved it. Now we have no children but are generally not bothered by kids. Now when we tried Celebrity.. it was a last minute thing. I have noted this before.. but I just felt very comfortable on the s class ship. We are in our mid 60s.. so perhaps it was seeing more people around our age.. but the experience was like putting on an old pair of your favorite shoes..just comfortable. Frankly few hotties ... so I did not feel as frumpy on chic night as I did on formal night on Royal..again comfortable. Also the size of the ship was large enough not to feel bored... but small enough that we could go from the Sky lounge cocktail hour down to dinner without breaking a sweat. I really liked that on our Celebrity sailings they had lectures which was nice. We did go back to Harmony of the Seas after several Celebrity cruises... it was the President's cruise which was great BUT it reminded me that when sailing Oasis class... I spent hours arranging my dinner and show schedules and the once on board felt guilty when we decided not to go a a show and found it a challenge to figure out when to reschedule it... and what else to move... too stressful. I frankly prefer fewer choices... I like to cruise... mostly for the experience of being at sea. I used to have trouble with motion sickness... now I kinda miss feeling the sea... the ships are almost too stable..if that makes sense... I loved being rocked to sleep. Now I have to look out to see if we are moving. Of course I will take that over the severe rocking I have experienced on one or two past cruises.. but I do like knowing I am at sea :) 

2 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Also, just to be clear, I was THANKING the two posters I originally quoted for making me feel better about Celebrity. Not posting to have to once again defend my personal feelings and experiences and preferences.

I think you will really enjoy Celebrity.   By the way, I have a single 36 year old son who is also a Disney freak!  Goes to DisneyParks- all over the world at least 4 times a year!  He is getting married next year and his Bachlelor party is at Disney World- so I do understand some people are very passionate about Disney!

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, kearney said:

We tried Celebrity a few years ago after cruising RCL and NCL (less frequently). Radiance class was my favorite class ship... Voyager was second, did not like Freedom as much (did not seem to have enough elevators, and they were small so felt more crowded), did not think we would like Oasis... but loved it. Now we have no children but are generally not bothered by kids. Now when we tried Celebrity.. it was a last minute thing. I have noted this before.. but I just felt very comfortable on the s class ship. We are in our mid 60s.. so perhaps it was seeing more people around our age.. but the experience was like putting on an old pair of your favorite shoes..just comfortable. Frankly few hotties ... so I did not feel as frumpy on chic night as I did on formal night on Royal..again comfortable. Also the size of the ship was large enough not to feel bored... but small enough that we could go from the Sky lounge cocktail hour down to dinner without breaking a sweat. I really liked that on our Celebrity sailings they had lectures which was nice. We did go back to Harmony of the Seas after several Celebrity cruises... it was the President's cruise which was great BUT it reminded me that when sailing Oasis class... I spent hours arranging my dinner and show schedules and the once on board felt guilty when we decided not to go a a show and found it a challenge to figure out when to reschedule it... and what else to move... too stressful. I frankly prefer fewer choices... I like to cruise... mostly for the experience of being at sea. I used to have trouble with motion sickness... now I kinda miss feeling the sea... the ships are almost too stable..if that makes sense... I loved being rocked to sleep. Now I have to look out to see if we are moving. Of course I will take that over the severe rocking I have experienced on one or two past cruises.. but I do like knowing I am at sea 🙂

We really love the size of the S class ships, not too big that it takes an age getting around and not too small that there are not enough options dinning and entertainment size. We’ve travelled on a few lines but still think Celebrity is the best balance of price and quality, a notch up from Princess and Royal and on a par with Cunard although not as formal. We love the pool deck and especially the sun beds which are shaded port and starboard of the pool, something especially important for us as my wife has had skin cancer twice. Room service is also top notch with an extensive and free breakfast menu which we love to take on our balcony. Other things we love, the martini bar, sky lounge, the world class bar with amazing cocktails and the wonderful Murano ( we have a six night speciality package booked and will dine there for most of the nights)

The cabin bathroom area is well laid out with a proper enclosed shower and last but not least the staff are always wonderful.

40 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

I think you will really enjoy Celebrity.   By the way, I have a single 36 year old son who is also a Disney freak!  Goes to DisneyParks- all over the world at least 4 times a year!  He is getting married next year and his Bachlelor party is at Disney World- so I do understand some people are very passionate about Disney!

Thank you! I am trying to keep an open mind about it - especially since I want 7 nights but refuse to lose a sea day to Star Wars (I love legit Disney - I will never consider Star Wars or Marvel or Fox to be legit Disney) which I would have to on the Fantasy. The Magic (other alternative I'd consider the week I have) is only 5-nights and *is* a Marvel Day at Sea, but while I don't consider it legit Disney, I can tolerate it. LOL. 

I'm definitely excited about the 2 excursions I've booked (Turtle Snorkel and Beach in St Thomas and Jost Van Dyke in Tortola) as well as the alcove I've booked for the port days of San Juan (don't get in until mid-afternoon, but the alcove is port day pricing and I get it all day) and Nassau (late morning arrival - same deal) since I'm not a fan of those ports.