Sex offender in restricted ports

tony_117

14 minutes ago, ducklite said:

Like I said, I was still 15 for about 10 days after my boyfriend turned 18.  

Yes, I understood that.   Like I said, I personally would not be comfortable with a law that allowed that.  And again, I doubt it will be easy to find a consensus when it comes to relaxing current laws regarding minors and consent.

14 hours ago, ed01106 said:

In most states that can't happen. Typically the law is based on the age of the younger person and how much older the older person is.....so a 12 yo having sex with a 9 year old is the same crime as an 18 yo with a 15 yo.  And typically it is not based on whole number of years old, but exact length of time between birthdays.  

So 3 years minus one day is OK, but 3 years plus one day makes the person a criminal?

13 hours ago, ldubs said:

The law is there because a minor is determined to not have the wisdom or experience needed to make certain decisions.   How do you change the law to define when a minor can consent to sex or not?  Not an easy subject to address IMO.  

But using a given age is also a bit off.

Some people are mentally and socially mature at an early age.  And others are still not mentally adults into their 30s or later.

So saying you are a child today, and an adult tomorrow, based strictly on age is a fallacy.

13 hours ago, ldubs said:

Yeah,  I don't know what age gaps or other revisions if any should be made.  It is just going to a very sticky subject when it comes down to changing existing laws.   18 year old talks a 15 year old into having sex?  I personally would not be comfortable with a law that allowed that.    People are going to be all over the board on this one.   

But a 16 year old talking a 14 year old into sex is OK somehow?????

BTW - 

http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/content/uploads/sites/10/2016/01/SSuN-Fact-Sheet-Age1stSex-04-10-13.pdf

https://www.webmd.com/sex-relationships/news/20120816/when-do-us-youths-start-oral-sex-intercourse#1

12 hours ago, SRF said:

But using a given age is also a bit off.

Some people are mentally and socially mature at an early age.  And others are still not mentally adults into their 30s or later.

So saying you are a child today, and an adult tomorrow, based strictly on age is a fallacy.

Ok, so what do you suggest as a better law regarding age of consent?