But first Champagne!

marti2282

1 hour ago, marti2282 said:

Is Veuve Clicquot available on board by the glass? And if so, is it covered by the premium beverage package?  Thanks!

We paid $6 ($5 + 20% gratuity) a glass with the Premium beverage package ($20/glass + gratuity without a package).

• Like 2

On 6/30/2019 at 1:33 PM, Cruise Junky said:

Not covered but you could pay the difference. Can’t remember if it’s in Murano. They have some nicer Champagne by the glass. 

I also like VC but what other champagne do they offer, do you know?  And does anyone know, what restaurant or bar has the VC by the glass?  

Edited by zitsky

When asking for champagne and advising we have the premium package we are always offered Chandon .. have never seen an actual wine list .. but after reading the comment above about VC I will be asking if it is available.  I did try a differnt Champagne in Cellar Masters, but can't remember name and I only paid a difference of $2.  

We've been in all the dining rooms (except suite dining and Blu) and when asking we are always given Chandon.  

On 6/30/2019 at 12:30 PM, marti2282 said:

Is Veuve Clicquot available on board by the glass? And if so, is it covered by the premium beverage package?  Thanks!

I believe we got a bottle for free , just book a suite

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, marti2282 said:

We are in a suite! So happy to hear!

Butler asked us if we wanted another bottle after we finished first, I would also ask micheals the suite lounge if they could get that , no grantee but doesn’t hurt to ask , they got us decoy Cabernet because we asked , service in micheals and luminae are both fantastic. 

• Like 1

This is what we were offered for $5/glass in addition to the Premium Package:

image.thumb.png.906dd14386c299f6d43afb3eda470c62.png

As far as suites, we have been in sky suites and celebrity suites and have received Celebrity Blanc de Blanc sparkling wine in those and when I toured upper suites, they had Perrier-Jouet champagne.  Maybe they have changed to Veuve Cliquot or give that on some ships, as someone reported?  In December in a sky suite we received the usual blanc de blanc, but were also given a bottle of Montaudon Brut champagne with some chocolate covered strawberries due to an injury onboard (with a note from GS).

image.png.82a34f6d7099482cfae5204b34fcb00b.png

image.png.a48842db77d071fa2fcad83a1e4ceb36.png

image.thumb.png.e35720e3faa4216202fd3d0aa196f65d.png

This was the Elevated Wine Program menu - I think they had Veuve Cliquot on our cruise instead of Perrier-Jouet because it was offered at many restaurants. We had that with lunch and had the Caymus for dinner several times (hard to go back to Decoy after that 😉). We would get each glass of Caymus for $10 each or $50/bottle.

image.thumb.png.0cf94b3541ebb3eaf472696b10b30490.png

This is from the MDR wines by the glass Classic and Premium Package (these can and do change, but gives an idea of prices/quality):

image.thumb.png.33a576b0c4368191f5c3953a924502bc.png

image.thumb.png.f53286811aec39c70f0379d8f06263b8.png

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, George C said:

Luminae was out of decoy one night tried to give us a few things we did not like then gave us caymus for no additional charge 😁😁

Yum! The Elevated Wine by the glass program is great - we paid $50/bottle for Caymus with Premium Package - usually $120/bottle. One night we shared 2 bottles with friends with dinner - they just kept topping off our glasses until our 2 bottles were done. The other one I loved was the Freemark Abbey cab. 🙂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, George C said:

I believe we got a bottle for free , just book a suite

We were in a Sky Suite last time, and we got a bottle of Celebrity sparkling wine. No VC. It's good to know it's available by the glass for a small upcharge with our drink package though. 

7 hours ago, vtcruising said:

image.thumb.png.0cf94b3541ebb3eaf472696b10b30490.png

This is from the MDR wines by the glass Classic and Premium Package (these can and do change, but gives an idea of prices/quality):

image.thumb.png.33a576b0c4368191f5c3953a924502bc.png

image.thumb.png.f53286811aec39c70f0379d8f06263b8.png

Not champagne related but it's nice to see that they have Cloudy Bay Savvy Blanc back on the menu. That's worth the upcharge over the Villa Maria they have. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bermadu22 said:

We were in a Sky Suite last time, and we got a bottle of Celebrity sparkling wine. No VC. It's good to know it's available by the glass for a small upcharge with our drink package though. 

You only get the Perrier-Jouet in a RS and above. Celebrity and Sky suites only get sparkling wine. I do remember getting Perrier-Jouet a few years back in a Celebrity Suite and the bulter replenished it throughout the cruise but that was when the suite program was rolled out at the start. Now we just give the sparkling stuff to the room attendant. 

3 hours ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

You only get the Perrier-Jouet in a RS and above. Celebrity and Sky suites only get sparkling wine. I do remember getting Perrier-Jouet a few years back in a Celebrity Suite and the bulter replenished it throughout the cruise but that was when the suite program was rolled out at the start. Now we just give the sparkling stuff to the room attendant. 

... and it isn't the Perrier Jouet in the flowered bottle....

If I'm sailing out of Fort Lauderdale, I make a pit stop at Total Wines behind Embassy Suites on 17th Street.  Gabi or John Michel will point out some of the best champagnes for your sipping enjoyment.  I get my group to help me get them onboard.

I spoke with a Food and Beverage manager on Infinity in 2016, and he told me that, with the advent of beverage packages, fewer and fewer bottles of the GOOD champagnes were being purchased.  And since the good stuff shouldn't be subjected to constant rocking and rolling, they decided to downsize the availability of Dom, Cristal, the good Perrier, etc; opting for the more mainstream ( ie, mediocre) Veuve Clicquot and Moet y Chandon.

I bring my own.  I only book suites.  I share with the sommelier.  I occasionally pay a corkage fee.  And I enjoy the champagnes I drink at home:

Nicolas Feuillatte Palmes d'Or

Veuve Clicquot La Grand Dame

Dom and Cristal (Brut and Rose')

Others, as recommended by Total Wines

I don't chance not being without my daily "fix...."

Does anyone know the price of a bottle of the "mediocre" 🙄 Veuve Cliquot is?  I have the premium package so I know there is a discount.  I may purchase a couple bottles to bring on board if it makes financial sense.

• Haha 1

Currently on the edge and enjoying Montaudon on the premium package. It’s a French champagne and much better than Chandon. The magic carpet is also a champagne bar and offers Veuve for $5 additional. They also have various Moet & Chandons. 

Edited by ginak1112
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, scottygirl said:

Does anyone know the price of a bottle of the "mediocre" 🙄 Veuve Cliquot is?  I have the premium package so I know there is a discount.  I may purchase a couple bottles to bring on board if it makes financial sense.

It looks like it is $92 minus the 20% discount with package (if Yellow Label is the same as the Brut that I posted a picture of - it does have a yellow label).

image.thumb.png.4b5797a80844257023b6d138b893f01e.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vtcruising said:

It looks like it is $92 minus the 20% discount with package (if Yellow Label is the same as the Brut that I posted a picture of - it does have a yellow label).

image.thumb.png.4b5797a80844257023b6d138b893f01e.png

Which ship is this from?  I was just on Reflection in April, and the list contained approximately 5 French champagnes, not the 13 shown here.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if you can order a bottle of Veuve Clicquot for sailaway?  I just checked the website but I didn't see an option.  I believe since we are in Aqua class that we get a bottle of Celebrity sparkling wine?

I just got an email encouraging me to sign up for Premier Pass.  One of the benefits is a bottle of VC, among other things.  But at $500 a person, it's a bit too much for my taste.

Viking does let you buy champagne for the cabin, in advance, which is nice.  I've ordered Taittinger over there.