NCL Pearl Cancelled 07/05/19

shadow1972

While it really is a major pain when this happens, in Europe using ferries and trains you can probably get to all the places the ship was going for not much if any more than you were paying. This gives you the option to pick three or four ports and spend a lot of time exploring them. I realize that it is not the same as being on the ship, but IMO it is a lot better to be canceld in Europe than it is in the Caribbean.

I wish everyone well.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ace2542 said:

The pearl is a cursed ship. I was on the TA when they had the norovirus outbreak which affected hundreds on the ship.

Oh please, it is not a cursed ship.  I've been on it numerous times and there has never been an issue.  In your way of thinking, then the Breakaway, Getaway, Jade, etc. are all cursed because they have had issues as well.

1 hour ago, Birdie And Sue said:

Why are you inferring that I have no understanding or empathy that someone is upset that a cruise got cancelled.  The OP's  major complaint was about getting short notice  I would be upset as well, however I would not be so silly as to complain that I got short notice of an UNFORESEEN mechanical issue.  Others have pointed out the exact same thing.

AS the OP here, that was NOT my major complaint.  In fact, the OP was not a complaint.  It was a notification to other cruisers followed by an editorial comment if you will as I was rather upset, angry, and frustrated.  Thank you for assuming that my OP was a complaint.  Enjoy your day.

• Like 2

If the alternate cruise dates don't work out for you , I recommend AirBnB, booking.com, and homeaway.com as alternatives to hotels to keep the cost down. Depending on your pretrip plans, they do houses/apartments all over and booking.com even does hotels.  Look for instant bookings to make sure you can get a place guaranteed, or someone who responds within 24 hours to make sure you can get the place because most are operated by individuals who need some notice.  

Every time I see things like this, I think what would I do? While it sucks, all you can do is  try to make lemonade out of lemons, or margaritas out of limes.☺ I hope everyone finds alternative arrangements!  Once you are settled in, I would love to hear what you did so those of us monitoring can learn something. Plus, those who haven 't made arrangements yet can get some ideas.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, bearette said:

If the alternate cruise dates don't work out for you , I recommend AirBnB, booking.com, and homeaway.com as alternatives to hotels to keep the cost down. Depending on your pretrip plans, they do houses/apartments all over and booking.com even does hotels.  Look for instant bookings to make sure you can get a place guaranteed, or someone who responds within 24 hours to make sure you can get the place because most are operated by individuals who need some notice.  

Every time I see things like this, I think what would I do? While it sucks, all you can do is  try to make lemonade out of lemons, or margaritas out of limes.☺ I hope everyone finds alternative arrangements!  Once you are settled in, I would love to hear what you did so those of us monitoring can learn something. Plus, those who haven 't made arrangements yet can get some ideas.

This is what I was going to suggest too. 

This thread is also a good reminder to get trip  insurance just in case, at least to help with the flights. 

22 minutes ago, shadow1972 said:

AS the OP here, that was NOT my major complaint.  In fact, the OP was not a complaint.  It was a notification to other cruisers followed by an editorial comment if you will as I was rather upset, angry, and frustrated.  Thank you for assuming that my OP was a complaint.  Enjoy your day.

"I just received a robocall, and have confirmed this with my NCL cruise consultant that the 13 day Greek Isles & Italy from Rome has been cancelled due to unforeseen mechanical problems.  Way to give us a few days notice NCL."

How is "way to give us a few days notice NCL" not a complaint?  I'd be upset too, most anyone would.  The point that I (and several others) have made is that there was no way for NCL to give you advance notice of an UNFORESEEN event.  It suck that your cruise got cancelled.  However it is rather silly to complain (or make an editorial comment) that NCL did not give you more notice of an unplanned event!

I hope you and everyone else who was scheduled to sail that cruise are able to find an alternative vacation and enjoy it fully.  you have a great day as well.

1 hour ago, Birdie And Sue said:

LOL so pointing out that complaining that you got short notice for an unforeseen incident is now rude?

I guess then PizaMan's post was way over the line, yet no comment, hmmmm..

"No kidding. I can't believe they didn't schedule the unforeseen mechanical problems for a date further in the future. " - PizzaMan

Certain people have too much time on their hands. 😞

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Birdie And Sue said:

"I just received a robocall, and have confirmed this with my NCL cruise consultant that the 13 day Greek Isles & Italy from Rome has been cancelled due to unforeseen mechanical problems.  Way to give us a few days notice NCL."

How is "way to give us a few days notice NCL" not a complaint?  I'd be upset too, most anyone would.  The point that I (and several others) have made is that there was no way for NCL to give you advance notice of an UNFORESEEN event.  It suck that your cruise got cancelled.  However it is rather silly to complain (or make an editorial comment) that NCL did not give you more notice of an unplanned event!

I hope you and everyone else who was scheduled to sail that cruise are able to find an alternative vacation and enjoy it fully.  you have a great day as well.

As I explained to you already, it was a comment that was made under anger and frustration.  If you CHOOSE to take it as a complaint, so be it.  No need to go back and forth.  I have explained the intent of my OP; let's put it to bed.  Thank you for your well wishes.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

when you collect from your insurance for anything do you get the cost of the premium refunded? That is why you carry insurance for heavens sake!!!!

The point is EVERYONE got a 100 % refund even if they did not have insurance.  People who paid for insurance are out the insurance cost with nothing to show for it.

1 hour ago, zqvol said:

While it really is a major pain when this happens, in Europe using ferries and trains you can probably get to all the places the ship was going for not much if any more than you were paying. This gives you the option to pick three or four ports and spend a lot of time exploring them. I realize that it is not the same as being on the ship, but IMO it is a lot better to be canceld in Europe than it is in the Caribbean.

I wish everyone well.

I agree with you that normally it's not very complicated or expensive to travel around in Europe. The problem with doing it with short notice in July may be that it can be hot, expensive and fully booked.

Edited by sverigecruiser
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, mugtech said:

The point is EVERYONE got a 100 % refund even if they did not have insurance.  People who paid for insurance are out the insurance cost with nothing to show for it.

Correct if the insurence only include the cruisefare but not if other things are included too.

2 minutes ago, mugtech said:

I am an insurance agent, The fact of the matter is the insurance was purchased as protection for a trip. The trip was cancelled by the company that "sold" the insurance. While NCL is not an insurance company they are a sub-vendor. Unless there is wording in the policy that states that the premium is not refunded in the event a cruise is cancelled and the fare is refunded in full by NCL, the premium should be refunded. However, if the insurance also provided protection for Hotel Accommodations and Airfare ect..., the policyholder has a right to claim and as such the premium should not be refunded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So sorry for the aggravation and disappointment! I would be so upset. 

Maybe plan a land vacay (with the refunded money) to Pompeii, Rome, Florence...They are amazing! Then book another cruise using the credit. Two vacays for the price of one!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Birdie And Sue said:

Why are you inferring that I have no understanding or empathy that someone is upset that a cruise got cancelled.  The OP's  major complaint was about getting short notice  I would be upset as well, however I would not be so silly as to complain that I got short notice of an UNFORESEEN mechanical issue.  Others have pointed out the exact same thing.

Your response was a bit snarky but the responses to your post were waaay over the top . Did you kick a puppy ? 

1 hour ago, NLH Arizona said:

Oh please, it is not a cursed ship.  I've been on it numerous times and there has never been an issue.  In your way of thinking, then the Breakaway, Getaway, Jade, etc. are all cursed because they have had issues as well.

Yes it's cursed because if something bad happens , then the thing is cursed forever ! 🙄

49 minutes ago, mugtech said:

You'll never get some people to believe that travel insurance isn't the best thing since sliced bread .Even if it's unneeded , redundant , expensive or it's small print doesn't cover the specific issue . It's existence is often used to blame the victim's of cruise line cancellations  

I am so sorry for everyone that is experiencing delays/cancellations. It's awful but as someone who just got off the Pearl on June 22 I can say you may be better off. We had a terrible experience with NCL and won't ever be cruising with them again. So many of the crew members we encountered just had such an attitude that they couldn't care less, it will be interesting to see how they deal with this! 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Wheeling TravelingMom said:

I am so sorry for everyone that is experiencing delays/cancellations. It's awful but as someone who just got off the Pearl on June 22 I can say you may be better off. We had a terrible experience with NCL and won't ever be cruising with them again. So many of the crew members we encountered just had such an attitude that they couldn't care less, it will be interesting to see how they deal with this! 

That's interesting.  I had the exact same experience on the Spirit last summer.  In addition to that, our cabin had this odor of raw sewage every day.  We complained about it and after 3 attempts of fixing it, their solution was to pour deodorizer down our drain every day.  That ship needs to be decommissioned!  We weren't going to cruise with NCL again, but we had a credit with them that we needed to use.

2 minutes ago, shadow1972 said:

That's interesting.  I had the exact same experience on the Spirit last summer.  In addition to that, our cabin had this odor of raw sewage every day.  We complained about it and after 3 attempts of fixing it, their solution was to pour deodorizer down our drain every day.  That ship needs to be decommissioned!  We weren't going to cruise with NCL again, but we had a credit with them that we needed to use.

Yeah, I had that smell as well in addition to a filthy room. I walked into it first day with a large brown wet stain on the carpet that the steward attempted to put the stool over to hide, mirrors had hand prints on it all over, sheets were stained in 3 places, couch was stained. Had to deal with them replacing a square of carpet 3 days into the trip as well as re-cleaning everything before we embarked. They never dealt with the couch. Shower door fell off the track. And that was all just the tip of the iceberg with the trip. 

15 minutes ago, Wheeling TravelingMom said:

Yeah, I had that smell as well in addition to a filthy room. I walked into it first day with a large brown wet stain on the carpet that the steward attempted to put the stool over to hide, mirrors had hand prints on it all over, sheets were stained in 3 places, couch was stained. Had to deal with them replacing a square of carpet 3 days into the trip as well as re-cleaning everything before we embarked. They never dealt with the couch. Shower door fell off the track. And that was all just the tip of the iceberg with the trip. 

Do you remember your cabin # ?

2 hours ago, mugtech said:

I am guessing, right now those affected are concerned more with what they are going to do and are happy with the offer NCL has made. They are not concerned about insurance they have already paid for. This is only one time when it may appear the insurance wasn't worth the cost, there are many times when it is more than worth what we pay. Sorry you seem to be so cynical about this. 

1 hour ago, dinkydee718 said:

So sorry for the aggravation and disappointment! I would be so upset. 

Maybe plan a land vacay (with the refunded money) to Pompeii, Rome, Florence...They are amazing! Then book another cruise using the credit. Two vacays for the price of one!

The only problem with the "plan a land vacay" is that NCL takes their time in refunding the money.  I was on the Jade that cancelled in November and it took 2-3 weeks to get the refund.  Not everyone can float the cost of 2 vacations for 2-3 weeks.

I planned ahead and had travel insurance that covered all of my out of pocket costs that NCL didn't cover (hotel, taxi, meals in San Juan).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, newmexicoNita said:

I am guessing, right now those affected are concerned more with what they are going to do and are happy with the offer NCL has made. They are not concerned about insurance they have already paid for. This is only one time when it may appear the insurance wasn't worth the cost, there are many times when it is more than worth what we pay. Sorry you seem to be so cynical about this. 

Never have bought insurance for 20 cruises, have saved thousands of dollars.  The insurance companies make a profit after paying their agents and all the other costs.  Insurance companies collect more in premiums than they pay in benefits, so it is a losing proposition. We also don't play the lottery, even though proceeds benefit older Pennsylvanians.

• Like 2

The 1st major trip I went on was a land tour in Italy.. I took out travel insurance my friend did not. Who do you think got sick and had to see a local doctor in our hotel and fly home early. Not me.

Now lol insurance didn't help me but you never know the future.

2 hours ago, Wheeling TravelingMom said:

We were on the same cruise and had the complete opposite experience, the staff were wonderful and would have no hesitation cruising with them again.  So to say they will be better off for missing the cruise because of your experience is plain ridiculous.