Bringing Meds on Board

I, also, bring them in my weekly packer - and way more than one prescription! Even injectables. Always in my carry-on backpack. Hasn't been a problem in 27 cruises on 4 lines. However, to be safe, I do a printout of my prescriptions from my Caremark/CVS site for some verification if asked. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, John Reid said:

I, also, bring them in my weekly packer - and way more than one prescription! Even injectables. Always in my carry-on backpack. Hasn't been a problem in 27 cruises on 4 lines. However, to be safe, I do a printout of my prescriptions from my Caremark/CVS site for some verification if asked. 

Solid idea, I use the weekly containers as well, but took a pic of the meds and the containers I keep on my phone.  Actually came up on a flight trip when questioned going thru a foreign country customs....

• Like 2

We use the weekly sorter pill organizer. 

I do have a photo of all the prescription bottles lined up to show if we are ever questioned. 

The photo of those labels have all the information visible. 

We have never been questioned. 

I may be in the minority here but I take all 8 of mine in the original bottles.  I have a separate shaving kit that I put them in.  You never know what could happen to delay you from getting home.  Granted, the Triumph disaster was rare but it could happen to any ship.  If nothing else, get another seven day container and take extra just in case.

• Like 2

On 7/9/2019 at 12:24 PM, KrazyDogLady3 said:

Hello, when bringing on prescription meds such as blood pressure, etc, are they required to be in their prescription bottles or can you put them in the daily Sun-Sat pill containers?

Anytime I leave the country, I always have the original container.  Of course, I have never had any issues or even had my drugs looked at so you should do whatever advice you find most sound. 

I always take enough of my drugs for my travel days plus a couple more in the original container.  At this point in my life I only have one prescription, a  7-day container would take up more room than the bottle.  

Question for those of you who don't take your original container - Do you and your traveling partner know the name and dosage of all your meds?   

2 hours ago, HerbertandB said:

Question for those of you who don't take your original container - Do you and your traveling partner know the name and dosage of all your meds?   

Yes, I  know the names of my medications and the dosages.  I get a printout from my pharmacy with all the pertinent information, including my doctor's contact information.  My travel partner knows that this list is in a folder with all my other papers for the trip.  I even peel off and attach to the list the sticker that my pharmacy attaches to each bottle with a description of the pills, for example, "This is a yellow oval pill with R467 stamped on one side." 

If I were carrying some type of controlled substance, I would probably keep them in the original containers.  But even then - does the typical TSA agent or cruise security personnel have a way to confirm that the pills in a bottle are actually what the label says?   If someone put controlled substance pills in a bottle labeled as  diuretic pills, how would that be caught?  Just curious, since this topic comes up regularly.  

Edited by Joanne G.

11 minutes ago, Joanne G. said:

Yes, I  know the names of my medications and the dosages.  I get a printout from my pharmacy with all the pertinent information, including my doctor's contact information.  My travel partner knows that this list is in a folder with all my other papers for the trip.  I even peel off and attach to the list the sticker that my pharmacy attaches to each bottle with a description of the pills, for example, "This is a yellow oval pill with R467 stamped on one side." 

That's a great idea.  

55 minutes ago, Joanne G. said:

But even then - does the typical TSA agent or cruise security personnel have a way to confirm that the pills in a bottle are actually what the label says?   If someone put controlled substance pills in a bottle labeled as  diuretic pills, how would that be caught?  Just curious, since this topic comes up regularly.  

The controlled pill likely wouldn't match the description on the bottle.  Also, TSA/CBP agents receive training on what controlled substances look like.  Cruise security personnel generally don't care about prescriptions. CBP is the agency that would potentially care.  I've read posts on Cruise Critic about some people going through Customs randomly pulled aside by CBP for a drug check.  At least one of those people didn't even take prescriptions.

Edited by Tiger0613

2 minutes ago, Tiger0613 said:

Also, TSA/CBP agents receive training on what controlled substances look like.  

Well, CBP does.  TSA agents are not law enforcement officers.  They are trained to screen for certain liquid controlled substances for the purposes of transportation safety.  Otherwise, TSA should never hassle you about your pills.  If they do, demand they bring over a law enforcement officer.  

The LE arm of TSA is the Air Marshals and they are not the ones screening you at the gate.  

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Susan in Maine said:

We are on the Liberty in September. My daughter has medication that must be refrigerated. I understand that cabins don't have a fridge. What's the best way for us to handle this?

Thanks!

The Liberty does have refrigerators.  They are in a wooden cabinet.  Keep the door to the cabinet open and it will help with ventilation so that the fridge keeps a cooler temperature.  If it isn't cold enough, speak with Guest services.  I seem to remember that  they can store it for you if need be.

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 6:58 AM, RWolver672 said:

The Liberty does have refrigerators.  They are in a wooden cabinet.  Keep the door to the cabinet open and it will help with ventilation so that the fridge keeps a cooler temperature.  If it isn't cold enough, speak with Guest services.  I seem to remember that  they can store it for you if need be.

Thanks. I'm also going to ask my room steward to bring me ice to keep in the refrigerator as well to make sure it stays cold.

• Like 1

Smart idea to have a print out.

I always have a bottle in my purse with assorted pills. One day I couldn't remember if a pill was ibuprofen or tylenol. I went to google and typed in the number on the pill and said white tablet. It was immediately identified as 800 mg ibuprofen. Those interwebs are magic I tell ya! 😆