Booking a NCL cruise direct on website, or over the phone?

FaithPlus1

I attempted to book online, and botched it.

Called the 800#, got a nice person in Miami who fixed it and threw some perks at me...

I was very impressed...

Our friend who decided to come with us called her, and booked also...

I do hope there is a commission, or that sales are tracked and fun things are awarded to top performers. (Or both)

Next time, I'll just call... (I'll do research online first, of course)

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, FaithPlus1 said:

If I call up to reserve a cruise by calling (not the particular person assigned to you...I cannot stand mine), does whoever answer the phone get a commission?

They don't work on a commission basis. They may get a bonus if they reach their goals for the month, but it is not a true commission.

On 7/9/2019 at 9:15 PM, Sirtate said:

I attempted to book online, and botched it.

Called the 800#, got a nice person in Miami who fixed it and threw some perks at me...

I was very impressed...

Our friend who decided to come with us called her, and booked also...

I do hope there is a commission, or that sales are tracked and fun things are awarded to top performers. (Or both)

Next time, I'll just call... (I'll do research online first, of course)

May I ask what perks they gave you that you wouldn't have gotten by booking online?

Edited by Mike_DeA

4 hours ago, Mike_DeA said:

May I ask what perks they gave you that you wouldn't have gotten by booking online?

That's what I'm wondering. My assigned person was really pushy. He said the advantage with booking with him was that I would get a "personalized experience". There were no freebies. 

I usually do it online and put a hold on it, especially before a "promotional change" (though the promotions just get extended).

And then I call in to finalize it and then before my 30 or 60 days (I forget which one), I transfer it to my TA for any additional perks they offer, which is usually an OBC and some cash back.

Not sure what the NCL TAs can give more than what's online...

I was trying to get the Free At Sea promo...

Ended up booking a sailaway balcony (BX?) and buying the UDP with an intention to find airfare elsewhere.

But the promo kept jumping up. So I called because I couldn't figure out how to get a promo.

She fixed my booking, put me into a BA room, which had the UDP, 3 Specialty dinners and free airfare included. (Or WiFi, I guess)

Even with the 20% gratuity, I'm ahead by about $200.

Our friend called the same Direct inward Dial number Faith (our Cruise Consultant) gave me, and was able to cobble something like our package for the single traveller she is.

Having come from customer service, we were impressed by the level of service we received.

We also understand that CS reps are limited with the tools they have, and sometimes customer demands are unreasonable.
(Why don't you offer discounts on Friday nights in your restaurant!? Because we have a 90min wait with people willing to pay full price. So, what? You're greedy? Yes. Show up on a Tuesday when the place is empty, and we will throw a free Appy at you)

I have reached platinum status and have used the same local travel agent since 2000.  I do a lot of leg work, but always use her services.  I have been able to pay less them advertised rate at times.  Travel agents who book a lot are give special rates at times to offer to there clients.  After I have booked I keep a close eye looking for price drops, I will  call her and let her contact NCL and get the priced dropped or up grade or on board credit.   Travel agents get paid by the cruise line and not until you said.  Find a good travel agent and enjoy cruising.

I also use a local TA that has now become a good friend as well.  For our upcoming cruise I found it online and booked it there because the cabin I wanted was available  - an SF suite on the corner of deck 10 on the Gem - from previous cruises I know that all of the cabins and suites on deck 10 on these ships usually go fast. This was the first time I had actually booked online and found it quite easy to do - the next day I told my TA and we got the booking changed to him. There has been only one time when a PCC reached out to us via e-mail after we booked a cruise through the TA. He was persistent and even though we were booked on a cruise and working with a TA he kept at it. Then all of a sudden he went away and the only e-mails we get are from NCL and aimed at Latitudes members- some come with my name, some have my wife, and some have my mother-in-law (we all have traveled together and used my e-mail address for all three of us).

My TA has also cruised the world and can offer first hand advice on ports and tours - something most PCCs can't.

Have been with NCL for 10+ yrs and have had a personal cruise consultant. They are wonderful. The last PCC was so good, NCL promoted him. His replacement botched my reservation so the next cruise went thru a TA. I plan to call NCL and request a new PCC for next cruise.  I like to go online so I can see everything. The contract I got from the TA is full of small print and I have to call the TA to add or change.

My first experience with NCL - after 15+ cruises with 4 other lines: While researching Baltic cruises online, NCL Escape came up with a Really good itinerary next May. Since I'll be traveling with a friend, I went through the whole online booking process on Thursday to the point of a "Courtesy Hold" which was good for 4 days. I figured this would give me time to talk my friend into the adventure. Saturday morning I had a call from "Lisa" at NCL asking about the Hold and wondering if I wanted to confirm. I told her the situation, she explained all she could do for me and gave me her direct number. Long story short, we booked the cruise with Lisa and she assured me she would be my contact for any questions, would advise me of any price drops and was altogether kind, courteous and Very helpful. Highly recommend the NCL process. Now to see how NCL measures up to RCL, Celebrity and Cunard.

Why not just use that website where travel agencies compete for your business (not sure if I can post the URL here). NCL is genius for tricking their loyalists to use their in-house agents. Saves them boatloads of money.

I’m on a cruise that departs Friday. Booked it two weeks ago. Cost on NCL website vs cost with travel agency website was the same, down to the penny. The difference Travel agency gave me $100 OBC at time of booking which will cover almost all of the DSC once I’m onboard.

I could have booked through the NCL website directly...but what’s the incentive? Once I book and pay through the TA’s website, I have immediate access to my reservation on the NCL website, so I can book shows, excursions, whatever.

I like free money, and I also like to cut into NCL’s profit, so I opted to take the free $100 from the agency. No phone calls, emails, couldn’t have been easier.

I routinely search for a cruise that appeals to us, call NCL to book it, and then transfer my reservation to my TA (this will not change anything in your reservation).  We ALWAYS get additional perks, either gratuities, or OBC.  Call NCL to make your reservation (very friendly and helpful), because they have knowledge of cabins that usually don't show up on NCLs' website (either same deck, or others within the category you want).  

15 hours ago, CruisingNole said:

Why not just use that website where travel agencies compete for your business (not sure if I can post the URL here). NCL is genius for tricking their loyalists to use their in-house agents. Saves them boatloads of money.

I’m on a cruise that departs Friday. Booked it two weeks ago. Cost on NCL website vs cost with travel agency website was the same, down to the penny. The difference Travel agency gave me $100 OBC at time of booking which will cover almost all of the DSC once I’m onboard.

I could have booked through the NCL website directly...but what’s the incentive? Once I book and pay through the TA’s website, I have immediate access to my reservation on the NCL website, so I can book shows, excursions, whatever.

I like free money, and I also like to cut into NCL’s profit, so I opted to take the free $100 from the agency. No phone calls, emails, couldn’t have been easier.

I already  go to *****. They typically have deals identical to booking direct. Granted though I always book the cheapest room with no perks. 

15 hours ago, CruisingNole said: