Airport Transfers - Anchorage to Seward

LdyMags

I got my edocs and for my transfer (booked through NCL) it says the first transfer leaves at 12pm and last leaves at 1pm - our flight doesn't get in till 1:30 pm and the ship doesn't leave till 9 pm. Has anyone been able to get a transfer after 1 pm going from Anchorage to Seward?

Are you aware that the Port of Seward (Anchorage) is 120 some miles from the airport ?

By rail it is a 4-5 hour trip (train moves at about 35mph stops with photo opts)

Alaska RR has a seasonal daily train - leaving Anchorage Depot 06:45am - arriving Seward docks 11:05am

$218 First Class - $110.00 Coach Class

On cruise days I have heard that there is a train leaving Anchorage Depot about 12:00 noon and arriving

at 5 pm - this arranged thru NCL prices/fares ???

By motor coach a faster clip 3-4 hours depending on weather conditions.

This arranged thru NCL Transfer program prices/fares ???

Alaska RR initiated a rail stop at the Anchorage Airport for cruise ship passengers - check that out and see

if that is in the travel plans ?

Your luggage maybe trucked instead of carried on the train with you making it possible to speed things

along and lessen the burden of a timely operation.

I am still in the research stages of my JEWEL southbound trip 9/16 whatever you learn Please come back

and share with us - - - - -

What are your EDocs telling you about all this ?

The NCL Transfer representative will meet you in the baggage claim area of the airlines - - - - -

Perhaps too early and a follow up letter may explain later -or- phone call - - - - -

6 hours ago, LdyMags said:

I got my edocs and for my transfer (booked through NCL) it says the first transfer leaves at 12pm and last leaves at 1pm - our flight doesn't get in till 1:30 pm and the ship doesn't leave till 9 pm. Has anyone been able to get a transfer after 1 pm going from Anchorage to Seward?

Probably not. It is at least a 4 hour drive to Seward. There may be an afternoon train or you can arrange separate bus transfers.

Not a normal train service.  The regular train even takes 4hr 20min.

ARR Coastal Classic Train Schedule
May 11 - September 16, 2019
Departure Time Arrival Time
Anchorage 6:45 AM Seward 11:05 AM
Seward 6:00 PM Anchorage 10:15 PM

4 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Are you aware that the Port of Seward (Anchorage) is 120 some miles from the airport ?

By rail it is a 4-5 hour trip (train moves at about 35mph stops with photo opts)

Alaska RR has a seasonal daily train - leaving Anchorage Depot 06:45am - arriving Seward docks 11:05am

$218 First Class - $110.00 Coach Class

On cruise days I have heard that there is a train leaving Anchorage Depot about 12:00 noon and arriving

at 5 pm - this arranged thru NCL prices/fares ???

By motor coach a faster clip 3-4 hours depending on weather conditions.

This arranged thru NCL Transfer program prices/fares ???

Alaska RR initiated a rail stop at the Anchorage Airport for cruise ship passengers - check that out and see

if that is in the travel plans ?

Your luggage maybe trucked instead of carried on the train with you making it possible to speed things

along and lessen the burden of a timely operation.

I am still in the research stages of my JEWEL southbound trip 9/16 whatever you learn Please come back

and share with us - - - - -

What are your EDocs telling you about all this ?

The NCL Transfer representative will meet you in the baggage claim area of the airlines - - - - -

Perhaps too early and a follow up letter may explain later -or- phone call - - - - -

We took this cruise in May.  We flew to Anchorage and the next morning took the train.  It was easy, the train has a couple of luggage cars so you get your bags at the station.  Then get a taxi to the port OR there is a cruise train that arrived later in the day about 5 pm right to the dockyard.

There are a few companies that offer a tour and transfer from Anchorage to Seward  which I thought looked interesting, but we decided on the train. 

You may have to look for something independent,   which is going to be difficult.    NO you will not make this cruise ship transfer.   

First-    call  NCL  and inquire about their schedule for transfers.    You will have to have a transfer after 2:15p  or later.   

There is no option for a train,   with this arrival time.     You might want to reserve a one way Hertz car-  now-  if available,   as a back up.  Yep-  will be very high cost.  

Alternatively-   check for every possible transfer service,   through Anchorage and Seward visitor sites.     Good luck.    

9 hours ago, LdyMags said:

take the scenic train to the pier!!!

the ship doesnt leave till 9pm!

51 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

take the scenic train to the pier!!!

the ship doesnt leave till 9pm!

The train that they can make doesn't leave until the next day, which is after the ship sails.

I think we are all getting a little bamboozled by the original statements.

I got my edocs and for my transfer (booked through NCL) it says the first transfer leaves at 12pm and last leaves at 1pm - our flight doesn't get in till 1:30 pm 

1) Was your flight booked through NCL?  If so they must get you a transfer that leaves after your flight arrival as they have accepted your transfer booking.  If not, go to 2)

2) Did you book a transfer with NCL before finding out from them the possible transfer times?  If so, now you know the transfer times and your arrival time you will have to cancel the NCL transfer and make your own arrangements.  If not, go to 3)

3) Why did you book a flight arrival time when you knew that there were no transfers available?

4) Are you actually arriving the day the ship departs?   If you are then you are breaking one of the cardinal rules that most of us live by when cruising   "Never arrive at a distant port on the day of departure"

• Like 2

Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy - "Another Fine Mess" !

NCL needs to clarify just what exactly is happening and when with those Transfers.

I know that recently a rail stop at the ANC airport was added for the convenience of cruise passengers.

Call and get definitive specific answers to what the heck is going on !

A 1:30 pm airline arrival is tantamount to missing the cruise - you only have about a two hour window

to play with - you are 4 hours from the pier and ship - you must be on board 2 hours before sailing -

sailing is 9 pm - thus 7 pm is the final boarding time - 4 hours to get to the port means that you must

leave the Anchorage airport area by 3 pm - and you are arriving at 1:30 pm

Are you seeing the magnitude of the problem ?

This is no "Mission Impossible cruise stunt" - Tom Cruise is not going save your cruise !

Get an earlier flight by any and all means and if necessary no make that mandatory to arrive a day

early to get things in the proper time frame - the morning Alaska RR train make the perfect connection

arriving just as boarding commences around noon. Hotels are near the Anchorage Depot at a reasonable

rate and walking distance.

Consider missing the cruise - you will miss two days and Hubbard Glacier - the next port of call is usually

Hoonan - Icy Strait Point with EXPENSIVE air service to catch the remainder of the cruise.

If NCL has booked that 1:30 pm arrival on the same day of the cruise NCL better be able to pull out all stops

and rescue this operation - even delaying the ship !

Personal comment - - - - -

This is no Comedy - it is a Tragedy in bad planning  - maybe for NCL it is business as usual !  

2 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

the train doesnt run the day of your cruise?

doh!

The Alaska RR Coastal Classic train runs daily until Sept 17 and obviously departing at 06:45 am will

have been long gone from the station before the OPs flight arrives at 1:30 pm.

The transfer departing at noon will be gone before the flight arrives.

The same for the transfer departing 1 hour later at 1 pm ?

The transfer at noon could be a chartered train or a motor coach (bus) - the one at 1 pm a bus ?

The OP needs to find out from NCL if there is another transfer scheduled to make final boarding call at 7 pm.

NCL sold the OP a transfer - is there another service that gets the OP to the ship timely ?????  

IF NOT SOME CHANGES NEED TO BE MADE in perhaps the airline flight schedule.

My guess is that OP booked their own flights, and just booked transfers through NCL, if NCL had booked it all OP would not have been given the info about the transfer window. As an additional note NCL transfers in Anchorage, unless it is on the special train , leave from downtown, not from the airport.

3 hours ago, zqvol said:

My guess is that OP booked their own flights, and just booked transfers through NCL, if NCL had booked it all OP would not have been given the info about the transfer window. As an additional note NCL transfers in Anchorage, unless it is on the special train , leave from downtown, not from the airport.

As an additional note NCL transfers in Anchorage, unless it is on the special train , leave from downtown, not from the airport.

The assembly point for the NCL transfers is generally in the baggage claim lobby of the airport AND NOT DOWNTOWN !

I have done this in the past when the port of Whittier was used. NCL now uses Seward exclusively.

It is common for luggage to be trucked separately from the train or bus and staged ahead of the arrival of the guests.

Recently there is a Alaska RR rail stop at the Anchorage Airport - this works best (only) for the northbound cruise traffic.

Train leaves Seward 6 pm and arrives at the airport stop around 10 pm for catching red-eye continental 48 flights.

There are so many new developments in how this is all put together - NCL needs to do a better job of explaining.

I agree it appears the OP has booked flights that do not fit in with the NCL transfer schedule and thus needs to go

back to the scheduling planning board for a solution - either change to earlier flights (best a day earlier) or as is

plan on expensive private transportation to get to the port of Seward timely - rent-a-car - taxi - etc. - the NCL

transfers are useless - the OP is arriving too late to use them.

This is just ONE company I found.  IF you need to find independent transport because the NCL one isn't viable for you.

https://www.akcruiseshuttle.com/seward/

Direct from AIRPORT to CRUISE TERMINAL

ANC Seward transfer.JPG

This one will work for the OP as it picks up at 2:30 pm and they'll board without any lines.  Fantastic.

Edited by Sauer-kraut

I booked reduced  air with transfers through NCL. At this point they have not provided me with flight numbers or airline. It is safe to assume when they book your flight with transfers they will provide the transportation  to seward port from anchorage And in my case back to Vancouver port to airport.  Transfer information was listed under summary. 

Hi all, wow, lots of dramatic posts here. I understand the risk of booking a flight the day of a cruise. I also know the distance between anchorage and Seward. We actually had booked the flights and then the cruise and so when I booked the cruise I gave them my flight info and they said we would be able to get a transfer. When I got my edocs it said the thing about the 12-1 departures. I called my PCC and he sent me this info which is different than the edocs info. I was just wondering if there was anyone out there who had the practical experience of it.

Anchorage, AK (ANC) - Ground Transfers For Cruise Only Guests to Seward Cruise Terminal

Transfers between Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport (ANC) to Seward Cruise Terminal

Jul 1, 2019Knowledge

Fields

Information

Norwegian Cruise Line offers Ground Transfers for Cruise Only Guests who have made their own flight arrangements and wish to purchase transfers. Please contact Norwegian Cruise Line Reservation Department (800) 327-7030.

Transfers between: Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport (ANC) to Seward Cruise Terminal

Approximate length of trip: 3 hours

**Rates and availability subject to change

One-way transfer cost: $65.00 USD per person.

AIRPORT TO HOTEL OR HOTEL TO AIRPORT TRANSFERS NOT OFFERED.

Guest arriving in Anchorage prior today of sailing, we recommend you board the transfer from the Egan Center Hospitality located at 555 W. Fifth Ave. at 10:00am

Egan Center transfer:  
Egan Center Hospitality opens at 8:00am.
The first shuttle to the pier departs at approximately 10:45am

Sailings from Seward, Alaska

**ARRIVING/DEPARTING FLIGHT HAS A 15 MINUTE LEEWAY**

Sailing time: 9:00PM 
Flight arrivals should be between: 9:00am-3:30pm

Arriving guests will be met in baggage claim. A Norwegian Cruise Line representative will not be available to meet guests arriving prior to 9:00am

Docking time: 5:00AM 
Flights should not depart before: 12:30pm 

Docking time: 7:00AM
Flights should not depart before: 2:30 pm 

TRANSFERS: 
Available to pre-arrange: Yes
Deadline to pre-arrange: 4 days prior to sailing
Purchase day of sailing: Yes, at the airport or Anchorage Hospitality Center (see above for location)
Purchase onboard ship: Yes 

Procedures for Ground Transfer

Title

Anchorage, AK (ANC) - Ground Transfers For Cruise Only Guests to Seward Cruise Terminal

URL Name

Anchorage-AK-ANC-Ground-Transfers-For-Cruise-Only-Guests-to-Seward-Cruise-Terminal

for my aug 5th cruise, i have this ncl excursion available to me in my acct:

EMBARKATION SCENIC CRUISETRAIN - ANCHORAGE AIRPORT TO SEWARD CRUISE SHIP TERMINAL

8/5/2019, 12pm, $99

cant link it because it's in my acct

On 7/12/2019 at 3:16 PM, don't-use-real-name said:

As an additional note NCL transfers in Anchorage, unless it is on the special train , leave from downtown, not from the airport.

The assembly point for the NCL transfers is generally in the baggage claim lobby of the airport AND NOT DOWNTOWN !

I have done this in the past when the port of Whittier was used. NCL now uses Seward exclusively.

It is common for luggage to be trucked separately from the train or bus and staged ahead of the arrival of the guests.

Recently there is a Alaska RR rail stop at the Anchorage Airport - this works best (only) for the northbound cruise traffic.

Train leaves Seward 6 pm and arrives at the airport stop around 10 pm for catching red-eye continental 48 flights.

There are so many new developments in how this is all put together - NCL needs to do a better job of explaining.

I agree it appears the OP has booked flights that do not fit in with the NCL transfer schedule and thus needs to go

back to the scheduling planning board for a solution - either change to earlier flights (best a day earlier) or as is

plan on expensive private transportation to get to the port of Seward timely - rent-a-car - taxi - etc. - the NCL

transfers are useless - the OP is arriving too late to use them.

Sorry you are wrong. The ONLY train that stops at the airport is the cruise contracted train.  Leaves Anc around noon.  Seward 7am.    Have no clue what you’re talking about with Whittier??   It is a separate train and never had anything to with Seward.     Again Only the cruise contracted train has ever used the airport.    The daily run has always been to from the downtown depot.  

There are so many wrong “guesses “ here     

16 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

Sorry you are wrong. The ONLY train that stops at the airport is the cruise contracted train.  Leaves Anc around noon.  Seward 7am.    Have no clue what you’re talking about with Whittier??   It is a separate train and never had anything to with Seward.     Again Only the cruise contracted train has ever used the airport.    The daily run has always been to from the downtown depot.  

There are so many wrong “guesses “ here     

Thank You for that TIMELY enlightening information !

Nobody else as well as NCL seemed to provide much essential information about the transfer; connections from

airports land tours to the pier operation at Seward.

About Whittier - surprised that you have no clue as to that being the former cruise port for Anchorage used by NCL.

And yes that is a separate train - different schedule - switching off at Girdwood.

My Signature line:

*** Thanks for your visit contribution and participation here at Cruise Critic ! ***

Thanks for your participation in setting the record straight and correcting the guesses !

6 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Thank You for that TIMELY enlightening information !

Nobody else as well as NCL seemed to provide much essential information about the transfer; connections from

airports land tours to the pier operation at Seward.

About Whittier - surprised that you have no clue as to that being the former cruise port for Anchorage used by NCL.

And yes that is a separate train - different schedule - switching off at Girdwood.

My Signature line:

*** Thanks for your visit contribution and participation here at Cruise Critic ! ***

Thanks for your participation in setting the record straight and correcting the guesses !

I actually have taken NCL from Whittier.  So certainly have a “clue”.      There is no “switching “ off in Girdwood?    It simply is a stop.    Again totally separate trains.    If you’re talking about the routes bifurcating.    It isn’t at Girdwood either.