Venice- Hilton or Danieli Hotel

Hi Everyone

Quick question- -for a pre Regent cruise in October 2020 for a couple of nights, do you prefer the Danieli or Hilton or Marriott?

We are starting to think about it although it’s very early. Usually, we figure it out ourselves.

Been to Danieli  many years ago. Loved it. Been to Europa Regina. It was just So so.  Marriott and Hilton on islands. 

We are leaning toward either Danieli or Hilton. 

We have Points for all of the above. So it should be Hilton to Marriott. 

Looking forward to your recommendations. 

Sheila

Just now, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Hi Everyone

Quick question- -for a pre Regent cruise in October 2020 for a couple of nights, do you prefer the Danieli or Hilton or Marriott?

We are starting to think about it although it’s very early. Usually, we figure it out ourselves.

Been to Danieli  many years ago. Loved it. Been to Europa Regina. It was just So so.  Marriott and Hilton on islands. 

We are leaning toward either Danieli or Hilton. 

We have Points for all of the above. So it should be Hilton to Marriott. 

Looking forward to your recommendations. 

Sheila

Haven't stayed at the Marriott, but in 2010 we spent 4 nights days at the Hilton Stucky and thought it was fabulous.  The location appealed to us...not  on the main island but with easy access to everywhere in the city...and the quality of the hotel did not disappoint us.

Sheila,  We have friends that stay at the Danieli whenever they go, they said the service has slipped a small bit, but they love the location and property. We stayed at the JW prior to our Regent cruise. Due to our Marriott status they upgraded us to a La Maisonette suite. Oh my gosh, what a wonderful experience. The service could not have been better and the grounds beautiful. We were not impressed with the restaurant upstairs in the main building and only had one meal there. You will see a difference of opinion as to whether to stay on an island. We liked being away from the St. Marks crowds, the shuttle boat ran regularly and on time (its a 20 minute trip). We had a tour guide meet us at the dock and had a great couple of days with her. We took the personal power boat from the airport to the JW and it was a fun experience speeding to the hotel, and entering into the inside hotel dock with the bellmen there to take your bags and give you a refreshing drink. We would not hesitate to go back there.

The Danieli would be my choice of the three.  It is very very Italian and located on the Riva degli Schiavoni close to San Marco.  BUT if you are going to pay for the Danieli why not stay at the Gritti?  It is right on the Grand Canal with its own dock, food is great and eating on their terrace with the water literally lapping at your feet, gondolas passing etc etc is remarkable.

If that is too expensive - then the Palazzo San Angelo, further up the Grand Canal, is also very nice.  "Only" a 4 star but excellent service.  Can't speak to the food there because when we stayed there it was for a party concerning the Regatta Storica and we ate at our friend's place nearby...

• Like 1

Thanks for your recommendations. 

I can stay at the Gritti also. 

I forgot the main issue. I will use my mobility scooter to visit the sites. I am a little nervous about the island hotels and having to shuttle to San Marco with it. 

I need more input please. 

Thanks

Sheila 

With the mobility scooter in mind I would suggest either the Gritti or the Danieli both will be easily accessible to the St Marks square and not involve a shuttle. Agree with the earlier post that the canal side restaurant at the Gritti is great for watching the traffic on the Grand Canal. St Marks at night is an experience not to be missed. Also make sure to get view rooms at either hotel, you will not regret it.

We love the Hilton.  The advantage is that it is a lot quieter on the island.  But the mobility scooter might be an issue what with getting on and off the vaporetto. However, on the island where the Hilton is, it would be a lot easier to get around with the scooter than in the area around St Marks.  The sidewalks are level and flat, and very much less congestion.

Sheila - a lot depends on the “sights” you want to see.  Getting on and off the vaporetti might be difficult although they are supposed to be OK for handicapped people.   The Danieli is on a wide quay and no problem getting there IF you can scoot onto and off either a water taxi or Vaporetto.  Vaporetto stop is not far from the hotel.  gritti you approach from either the canal via watertaxi or from the back via several campi.   I don’t think it will be easy with a scooter.  Venice is not a terribly accessible city...and nothing you can do about that.   So - in spite of the fact that I would prefer the Gritti I think you are better off at the Daniele...

take care!  See you in March.  Gerry

Sheila,

If your aim is to have some relaxation time prior to the cruise, the Hilton is lovely and quiet.  But there is little to see in the surrounding area, and, as you know, you have to take a boat to get to any of the sights of Venice.  

I stayed there last year, as this was the pre-cruise hotel that Regent uses for concierge level rooms.  I enjoyed it for one night, but honestly, I don't think that I would stay here for a longer time.  If you would like to see some descriptions of the hotel and Giudecca , you can  see it here, starting on post #22.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2551403-live-from-the-voyager-rt-venicequotlong-time-first-timequot/

Bob

We almost always book our own hotels and take the credit.  There are a number of reasons to do this, but most important to us is location.  One example is Montreal, where the Regent hotel is in the financial district, not the French Quarter.  One major exception is the Danieli Hotel in Venice which is a marvelous place to stay, beautiful, and a great location on the Grand Canal, very close to St Marks.  Also, it is an expensive hotel and it is financially a fair offset to the Regent credit.

We stayed at the Danieli last year because our normal favorite, the Europa & Regina was closed for refurbishing. We found the Danieli to be very nice, particularly the lobby bar, but otherwise quite rundown. The Europa & Regina should now be back in service and we would definitely return there when we can.