Ordered gin from Princess - what about vermouth?

PaperSniper4

I have ordered gin to be delivered to our cabin the first day of the cruise. Since I am a martini drinker, I need vermouth and olives/onions to make a proper cocktail. Has anyone figured out a way to pre-order vermouth? I only need maybe 9 ounces. In the past I have used Rum Runners to bring vermouth from home, but that can sometimes be a hassle, and of course there is the possibility of it being confiscated during check in. The other option is to get vermouth and olives from the bar, but the vermouth generally cost more than my liquor did, and those tiny little vinyl olives and onions are just not proper at all. I will continue to bring olives in my bags I suppose, as I doubt they'd be confiscated. But, I'd like to find another solution for the vermouth.

Thanks.

Doug

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

At the risk of having this reply pulled as it was when I suggested it in the past, I have found that a small 3-4 oz plastic spray bottle of vermouth packed with my toiletries makes the perfect dry martini. A quick spray or two and you are all set.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Colorado Coasty said:

At the risk of having this reply pulled as it was when I suggested it in the past, I have found that a small 3-4 oz plastic spray bottle of vermouth packed with my toiletries makes the perfect dry martini. A quick spray or two and you are all set.

Either that or go to the Churchill-style martini, in which one merely glances at the vermouth bottle.

Jim

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jasbo49 said:

Either that or go to the Churchill-style martini, in which one merely glances at the vermouth bottle.

Jim

That was going to be my suggestion. 😁

More helpfully, aren't there olives/ onions soaked in vermouth available? Would those be confiscated if brought on board? It might do to give the flavor while still being permissible. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, jasbo49 said:

Jim

I'm sure there will be vermouth onboard in the bars. That's close enough. Just expose the gin to the air in the ship and you will have enough vermouth.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Vermouth is wine, so you're allowed to bring it on board, are you not!?

cut and paste

Vermouth is a fortified wine, part of the ‘aromatised’ wine family, flavoured with aromatic herbs and spices. It is distinguished from other aromatised wines due to its being flavoured with Artemisia absinthium

Artemisia absinthium

th?id=AMMS_476f93be5fdc2d0c44cebf707687b4dd&w=100&h=100&qlt=80&pid=Reference_custom

Artemisia absinthium is a species of Artemisia native to temperate regions of Eurasia and Northern Africa and widely naturalized in Canada and the northern United States. It is grown as an ornamental plant and is used as an ingredient in the spirit absinthe as well as some other alcoholic beverages.

(absinthe wormwood).

Yes, but Vermouth is still classified as a wine, as is port and sherry. Both can be sold with a wine license instead of a liquor license in most places that I know of. Unless Princess prohibits fortified wines, there shouldn't be a problem.

If all else fails, a hairspray bottle is the perfect size to smuggle in the 9 oz needed for your trip. Have fun misting your glasses. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Colorado Coasty said:

A Colorado Coasty? Wow, long way from the briney stuff my friend! But then I am retired USN and live near Memphis....but I was aviation, not big-boat stuff! <g>

Thanks for that tip. Your suggestion is a variation on a theme I've used before.

Doug

16 hours ago, Liz_B said:

That was going to be my suggestion. 😁

More helpfully, aren't there olives/ onions soaked in vermouth available? Would those be confiscated if brought on board? It might do to give the flavor while still being permissible. 

Jim and you have a good idea....I can always make my own soaked vegetables if I cannot find a commercially available product.

15 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Vermouth is wine, so you're allowed to bring it on board, are you not!?

I have considered that, but even the smallest bottle of vermouth I can find is about 4 times what I need. Another issue is that my wife always manages to drink our two 750ml bottles of wine by her lonesome (we have 10 day cruises after all....). I don't drink wine, she doesn't drink martinis, or my other favorite, scotch. I believe Princess still allows one to bring more than two bottles of wine on board as long as we pay $15 per bottle for each bottle over two.....so I may just do that. The only consideration then would be weight in the (airline) checked bag. Odd how I have been able to find small bottles of just about everything, liquor to wine, etc; but it is VERY hard to find a vermouth bottle under 750ml.

15 hours ago, voljeep said:

cut and paste

Vermouth is a fortified wine, part of the ‘aromatised’ wine family, flavoured with aromatic herbs and spices. It is distinguished from other aromatised wines due to its being flavoured with Artemisia absinthium

Artemisia absinthium

th?id=AMMS_476f93be5fdc2d0c44cebf707687b4dd&w=100&h=100&qlt=80&pid=Reference_custom

Artemisia absinthium is a species of Artemisia native to temperate regions of Eurasia and Northern Africa and widely naturalized in Canada and the northern United States. It is grown as an ornamental plant and is used as an ingredient in the spirit absinthe as well as some other alcoholic beverages.

(absinthe wormwood).

Good point, it could be confiscated, although I doubt most folks at the check in station would understand the difference.

1 hour ago, PaperSniper4 said:

The only consideration then would be weight in the (airline) checked bag.

If you are sailing out of Port Everglades, why not stop at Total Wine before you board. You can even order your wine/vermouth online or on their app and it will be ready for pickup while your uber waits outside. It took me less than a minute to pick up our mixed case last year, and our order for our next cruise is already paid for and waiting for me to pick up.

And yes, they have 375ml bottles!

Screen Shot 2019-07-14 at 9.00.37 AM.png

When I call room service to order gin, I often ask for a few lime wedges too. That way I can use the tonic in the mini bar and make G&Ts. I'll bet you could get olives that way too or ask for a few at a bar.

And to be honest, I don't think it would be a problem to just fill one of those little 3 oz. fluid bottles with vermouth. I think it's technically against the rules, but they're just not going to make an issue of it. It's like going 2 mph over the speed limit.

Jim

11 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

I am impressed by all the good (or funny!) replies I received; thanks very much. Just shows that martini drinkers may not be everywhere, but cruising brings out the "best" in us! 😎

I actually drink the Chairman of the Board martini. No vermouth. No olive. No problem. :classic_cool:

Chairman of the Board
3 parts Grey Goose Vodka
3 parts Bombay Sapphire Gin
1 part Cointreau
Chilled over ice and strained
Rim glass with twist then use as garnish

GAK! Princess has changed my Chairman of the Board. I don't mind the change in the brand of Gin but I can't understand why they added bitters. I'll likely forget they changed the recipe and be peeved when I taste the thing. Hopefully I will remember to order it without bitters. What a stupid change to a previously great drink.

image.png.840d78b067e506c0b0365cc486d909d0.png

Not knowing how long your cruise is makes me wonder how many 375ml bottles of gin you ordered.  Since 8 oz is about 250ml, that seems like a lot of vermouth.  I only use about a 1/4 teaspoon of vermouth, to swish around the glass, and dump out any extra.  I agree with Thrak if there is no vermouth, or just put a picture of Vermouth next to the glass.

Hope you have better luck than we did when we preordered 6 bottles of wine. They only had two of our bottles available. We agreed to accept 4 other kinds of wine in their place....then got charged full price for them! It took 3 day to finally get this resolved. Just be careful! We will NEVER preorder alcohol again.

Edited by rentlady
wrong verb

11 hours ago, Thrak said:

I actually drink the Chairman of the Board martini. No vermouth. No olive. No problem. :classic_cool:

Chairman of the Board
3 parts Grey Goose Vodka
3 parts Bombay Sapphire Gin
1 part Cointreau
Chilled over ice and strained
Rim glass with twist then use as garnish

Ha, that's a heck of a cocktail! I'd not be able to walk 20 minutes after thinking that! :classic_ohmy:

Doug