Precheck options/evaluations

chimcheree

2 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

I did this three weeks ago at RDU...Pre-Check line was huge, regular line was short, I immediately gauged that it would still be quicker to go through regular line and pull liquids/laptop out. They had no problem with it, and it was quicker.

I am also almost certain I did this at LAX about six months ago. I can't stand behind the statement the same way I can about my RDU experience, but I'm pretty certain because it's very rare for me to choose the "regular" line over Pre-Check line.

I am inclined to think that a TSA agent at an empty lane who tells a Pre-Chek person that he has to go to the Pre-Chek line is just being bloody-minded:  giving someone crap just because he can.  

My my own experience, and that of other posters, indicates that there is no such regularly applied protocol.

In the MIA and FLL cruiseports, some lines have dedicated Global Entry return lanes which can be significantly shorter/quicker than the regular lanes.

As for airports, I have used the shortest lane, regular or GE, have never been shunted to just GE.

19 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

What makes you think that you cannot use the regular lane if the line there is shorter than at the TSA lane?  I have, in fact gone through the regular lane when it was empty - because it was just a bit closer than the TSA lane which was also empty.

So you like taking out everything, and having to take off your coat or jacket? 😄

I like Pre-Check for that.  But Pre-Check lines are getting long, so I have Clear.  Having airline status gets all or part of it paid for.

On 7/15/2019 at 4:45 AM, clo said:

My problem is that I would have to drive 3-4 hours to get to SF the closest that the Global Entry interviews are held.  I've read that there are work arounds.  Need to do more research.  Just got a Chase Sapphire Reserve card which will give me credit for those.  Because we have cards with United and Alaska we get pre-check with them.

You could combine it with a flight.

That is what I did with mine.  Arrived at the airport about an hour early.  Checked in.  Went down and did my "interview."   Left on my trip.

14 hours ago, new_cruiser said:

I've not had that happen. On a recent trip, I was traveling with my granddaughter. I went through the regular line to stay with her and it wasn't questioned.

At some airports, if you are traveling with a non-Pre-Check person, they can go with you, but they have a separate line with normal procedures (take out liquids and laptop, etc).

Dulles has this.

And I have gone through non-Pre Check lines without any issue.  Dallas is one place, that Pre-Check line may be a LONG ways to walk, to end up walking back to your gate near the non-Pre Check entry.

On 7/14/2019 at 10:03 PM, RSLeesburg said:

Global Entry gives you the option to do your interview at various airports when you return from an international flight.  So if you are leaving the country in the near future, check out the first US airport you hit on return trip and see if its on the list.  I applied for GE and get emails almost weekly about this option.  

But we can do it at the Port of Palm Beach. I did.

1 hour ago, mo&fran said:

We, too, did the Port of Palm Beach...they  had 'walk-ins' available after 2:30...

Turns out that several places have a 'walk-in' arrangement...tho you may have to ask about it.

1 hour ago, mo&fran said:

Yes.  I thought I noticed a local office in West Palm - did not realize that it was at Port of West Palm.  I submitted my paperwork, but have not gotten an email back to schedule my interview.  

My comments were directed to a PP who said she needed to drive 3-4 hours to SFO.  I was trying to point out that there are other options.  

3 minutes ago, thinfool said:

We, too, did the Port of Palm Beach...they  had 'walk-ins' available after 2:30...

Turns out that several places have a 'walk-in' arrangement...tho you may have to ask about it.

Are you saying that you just walked in?  I already submitted my application, but have not done so for my wife and son.  Could I just drive them down and walk in?  

37 minutes ago, RSLeesburg said:

Are you saying that you just walked in?  I already submitted my application, but have not done so for my wife and son.  Could I just drive them down and walk in?  

Getting an appointment was not difficult.  From what I have heard, it must be the easiest office to get into. I didn't try the walkin thing since it was so easy to get an appointment.

Edited by mo&fran

1 minute ago, mo&fran said:

Getting an appointment was not difficult.  From what I have heard, it must be the easiest office to get into. I didn't try the walkin thing.

Gotcha.  I will have to get their applications in, and then will schedule my appointment as soon I hear back.  By the way, how long after you submitted your application did it take for them to say you could schedule your interview?  

3 hours ago, SRF said:

So you like taking out everything, and having to take off your coat or jacket? 😄

I like Pre-Check for that.  But Pre-Check lines are getting long, so I have Clear.  Having airline status gets all or part of it paid for.

I’d rather take off my coat for a minute than stand in line for five.  In any event, even with Pre Chek, you have to dump things like phones, coins, keys, etc. — which I simply have in my jacket pockets anyway, making it simple.

Just now, RSLeesburg said:

Gotcha.  I will have to get their applications in, and then will schedule my appointment as soon I hear back.  By the way, how long after you submitted your application did it take for them to say you could schedule your interview?  

It's been a while now so I really don't remember.  DW travels to South America on a medical mission a couple of times a year, and their group has GE to facilitate traveling through MIA, so i was asked to get it for FLL,  but I had plenty of time.

On 7/14/2019 at 8:33 PM, clo said:

I would say 

Precheck - leaving

Global entry - returning.

But I'd also say OP can get far better advice by googling the question.  Certainly not cruise related.

Thought pre check is only in airports. However above reply sounds as it is also in cruise ports now.

1 hour ago, The Viking said:

Thought pre check is only in airports. However above reply sounds as it is also in cruise ports now.

The cruise ports are concerned with immigration issues.  Airports for both immigration and security screening.  Pre-Check only gets you priority for security screening, while Global Entry gives you both.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, lots of misinformation being tossed out.  The post you quoted falls into that category.

6 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I’d rather take off my coat for a minute than stand in line for five.  In any event, even with Pre Chek, you have to dump things like phones, coins, keys, etc. — which I simply have in my jacket pockets anyway, making it simple.

No liquids?  No laptop?  And at some airports, add in taking off your shoes and possibly belt. 😄

6 hours ago, RSLeesburg said:

How long can vary.  How busy they are, how in depth they have to get.  And if they turn up anything they have to take a closer look at.

Strangely, people with security clearances seem to take longer, in some instances.

6 hours ago, RSLeesburg said:

By the way, how long after you submitted your application did it take for them to say you could schedule your interview?  

About 2 weeks for us, however after the govt shutdown last year things are different...a good friend applied in mid-March and was not approved for an interview until late May.

There was a note on the govt website pointing out the delay recently.

7 minutes ago, thinfool said:

About 2 weeks for us, however after the govt shutdown last year things are different...a good friend applied in mid-March and was not approved for an interview until late May.

There was a note on the govt website pointing out the delay recently.

We renewed ours on line  in May as we were coming up on 5 years the end of June.  Mine went through with no problem; my wife was advised she would have to come in for interview -no appointments at JFK available until mid-August, but Bradley (Hartford/Springfield) said they were accepting walk-ins. Longer distance but much easier drive - free parking, no crowds - we had to wait about 5 minutes to see if person who had appointment would show up.   We were out of there in 10 minutes and she got her new card 4 days later.

On 7/14/2019 at 7:45 PM, clo said:

My problem is that I would have to drive 3-4 hours to get to SF the closest that the Global Entry interviews are held.  I've read that there are work arounds.  Need to do more research.  Just got a Chase Sapphire Reserve card which will give me credit for those.  Because we have cards with United and Alaska we get pre-check with them.

When I got my GE 7 years ago, the closest place to do the interview was Las Vegas, a day's drive.  I took the opportunity to make a weekend trip out of it.  Made enough money playing craps to pay for it!!!

I'd use the opportunity to make a nice weekend trip into The City to get your GE.  10 minutes at the airport, and you've got the rest of the time to sightsee, have some good food, maybe a romantic getaway, head up to Napa.  Just sayin' - it doesn't have to be a chore to get that GE.

Another positive of getting GE:  You get another piece of government-issued ID to use instead of your Driver License.  It doesn't have your address on it, so it makes it a good one.  I use it all the time as my ID instead of my DL!  

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 1