Back After 2 Years - changes?

RevNeal

After 2 years of busy life on land I've finally booked a cruise!  Yippie!!!!

I'll be aboard the Koningsdam for 10 days: January 2-12, 2020!

What's changed over the past 2 years (since January 2017)?

Happy to be back.

We love the Koningsdam, and hopefully you will enjoy her too.  She has the Sel de Mer restaurant as well as a dedicated sushi restaurant, Nami, as well as all the dining that the other ships have.  Her world stage is really nice with it's 270 degrees LED screen.  The crew as always are wonderful and welcoming. She doesn't really have a library so brings your own reading material. 

I think you will find most things the same as your previous HAL sailings.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

I believe you'll feel back at home. Yes, there are changes; but the feel is the same. The stewards are still top-drawer. We really enjoyed the Koningsdam, even though I was somewhat skeptical going in. She's different in decor, for sure. Especially in the dining room. And there are significant changes in the menus. But the extras the ship provides are nice. Don't miss the Dutch Cafe. 

Edited by jhannah
  • Like 2

Sadly, one of the things YOU will notice is that they rarely carry Protestant Chaplains, and it has seemed to me that when they do (apparently holidays and grand voyages) it seems to be somebody who knows the cruise director rather than a properly screened and qualified person.

Roy

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Sadly, one of the things YOU will notice is that they rarely carry Protestant Chaplains, and it has seemed to me that when they do (apparently holidays and grand voyages) it seems to be somebody who knows the cruise director rather than a properly screened and qualified person.

Roy

I'm sadly well-aware that HAL has severely reduced the number of cruises that have a Protestant Guest Minister aboard. Given that I've not served in that capacity for several years, and nowadays am overworked enough as it is in my land-job, I would rather just relax and enjoy my vacations aboard ship rather than working.  Sadly, this means that there won't be a service I can attend for the Eucharist ... but I'll manage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JimnKaren said:

Enjoy your cruise.

Jim

Thanks. I'm really looking forward to it.  It's been way too long since I last had deck under my feet, and while the itinerary is one I've done before the ship will be new to me. I'm looking forward to relaxing, eating, and doing a few shore excursions, but otherwise just enjoying my time aboard and away from the phone, computer, and constant stream of church-issues.  These past couple of years have been filled with way too much work, way too many changes, and way too much stress.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir PMP said:

you'll find out that the Koningsdam is the most disorganized ship

Wasn't our experience.

Quite a bit changed here on CC, some better, some not so much.

Some will also say that HAL isn't what it was in 2017 but we're going out on 8/3 and looking forward to it.

I suspect things are what you make of them.

Glad to see you back and hope you enjoy K'dam as much as we did.

• Like 1

You REALLY deserve a break after the Methodist Church's turmoil of the past year and living in a border state to boot.

One thing that hasn't really changed with HAL but has for the 2 newest ships is the lack of those promenade deck loungers.  I've done On Deck For a Cause successfully twice (Once each Nieuw Statendam and Koingsdam) but if you miss those loungers you would probably be wise to book a cabana.

Roy

• Thanks 1

RevNeal ... retired Presbyterian pastor here who did a chaplaincy on a Holland Ship a number of years ago. I thought I might do that in retirement, but hence they stopped the program. We just booked this cruise today so hopefully we can meet up and share clergy stories. Being a baseball fan I always lamented the fact that we could not put certain parishioners on waivers! Looking forward to meeting you and have a great cruise. Oh yeah, Trudy and I took a 29 day New Zealand-Australia cruise on the Noordam last November. We had a great time. I’m sure we will again on this cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RevNeal, I am so happy to see your back and booked the K’dam.  I sailed on her this past March with my family thinking I am NOT going to like this ship.  Well I LOVED this style ship, the Music Walk is a great addition, we enjoyed BBKings, Rolling Stone Rock Room, Grand Dutch Cafe, NY Deli and Pizza, the show lounge, the entire ship.  My family and I enjoyed this ship so much we booked the Nieuw Statendam for 2021.......

Yes as others have said here things have changed, but the crew is still, IMHO, the best on the high seas, they work so hard to be sure you have a great cruise.  I think you will enjoy this ship and cannot wait for your review.

Welcome back and I am looking forward to your posts once again.

• Like 1

Rev. Neal welcome back. We will be on the Koningsdam next January after your cruise.

Last year we did a TA on the Koningsdam from Rome to Fort Lauderdale.

For us it was a very positive experience. After 24 Hal cruises in a row it was like being on a different cruise line.

Be sure to try out the new venues and eateries. I’m betting that you will have a great cruising experience. Different? Somewhat but it’s still a Dam ship with a fantastic crew.

Try New York Pizza breakfast offerings and if you enjoy Single Malt Whisky than “Notes” is a great tasting venue. Dutch Cafe and Sal De Mer are recommended.

We missed Pinnacle Bar and the Ocean Bar was pretty loud for conversation. We enjoyed the Tamarind Bar for pre dinner libations.

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RevNeal said:

After 2 years of busy life on land I've finally booked a cruise!  Yippie!!!!

I'll be aboard the Koningsdam for 10 days: January 2-12, 2020!

What's changed over the past 2 years (since January 2017)?

Happy to be back.

Well, well, well, Greg....     NIice to see you post   and wondeful to read  you have a cr uise  booked.  Hope you'll hang around   so we can wish you a Bon Voyage when the time comes. 🙂

sail.noordam@gmail.com

32 minutes ago, kazu said:

Rev Neal - so happy you are back and sailing on HAL again.

I just want to wish a wonderful cruise.

• Thanks 1

Welcome back; you've been missed!  Hopefully you'll enjoy the Koningsdam and will come back to tell us your impressions.  We'll be sailing on the Nieuw Statendam a few days later - it will be our first time on one of the two big sisters.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

You REALLY deserve a break after the Methodist Church's turmoil of the past year and living in a border state to boot.

One thing that hasn't really changed with HAL but has for the 2 newest ships is the lack of those promenade deck loungers.  I've done On Deck For a Cause successfully twice (Once each Nieuw Statendam and Koingsdam) but if you miss those loungers you would probably be wise to book a cabana.

Roy

Thanks for the heads up on that ... that's quite unfortunate.  I used to love sitting on the promenade and watching the day go by.  This cruise, however, I managed a killer-deal on a Verandah stateroom ... so I'll have a nice, private place to sit and enjoy the day.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bruinboy said:

RevNeal ... retired Presbyterian pastor here who did a chaplaincy on a Holland Ship a number of years ago. I thought I might do that in retirement, but hence they stopped the program. We just booked this cruise today so hopefully we can meet up and share clergy stories. Being a baseball fan I always lamented the fact that we could not put certain parishioners on waivers! Looking forward to meeting you and have a great cruise. Oh yeah, Trudy and I took a 29 day New Zealand-Australia cruise on the Noordam last November. We had a great time. I’m sure we will again on this cruise.

I will definitely look forward to meeting you!  And, absolutely, I would love to also TRADE members!!!! LOL. Oh, well. 😁

25 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

Well, well, well, Greg....     NIice to see you post   and wondeful to read  you have a cr uise  booked.  Hope you'll hang around   so we can wish you a Bon Voyage when the time comes. 🙂

Hello, my friend!  It's good to see you still around!  Thank you for the welcome!

12 minutes ago, RevNeal said:

Hello, my friend!  It's good to see you still around!  Thank you for the welcome!

I finally choked up the  to  sail alone...   Not  ' alone '  n my cai bin..   ....but  really  alone, I   traveled alone.    B-to-B and thanks to HAl's  f bulous crew on Zaandam and her  outstanding   O fficers, it worked out bettet  for  mhan I ever expected   Wasn't easy.being aboard for two weeks without my Robert but   I hope to do  it   again,,,

image.png.613b65f72c72048e1b31bf9a0a01443e.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Welcome back, RevNeal.  Our family hasn't sailed the new HAL mega-ships, but it sounds like they get positive reviews from others here.  I know, based on your positive outlook on life overall, that you will have a good time no matter what!

• Like 1