Newark Aiport Hotel

Hello!

We are taking a flight at 6AM from Newark Aiport in NJ FOR A CONNECTION WITH OUR CRUISHIP TO Alaska.  Anyone know of a reasonable Hotel near the airport that includes free parking for the week and takes you to the terminal not the airport train?    That airport train P4 station sounds confusing.

Thank you for any help.  Joe

Edited by emergencymedic
Spelling

30 minutes ago, emergencymedic said:

Hello!

We are taking a flight at 6AM from Newark Aiport in NJ FOR A CONNECTION WITH OUR CRUISHIP TO Alaska.  Anyone know of a reasonable Hotel near the airport that includes free parking for the week and takes you to the terminal not the airport train?    That airport train P4 station sounds confusing.

I recommend that you post your question on the East Coast Departures board, where questions on Newark-area hotels are answered on a daily basis. It will be helpful to include the date you need the hotel room, how many people are in your party and your bedding requirements .

I can tell you that hotels are not supposed to drop passengers at the terminals. I don't know whether any of them will make an exception, but I suspect not. It's not difficult when you're dropped at P4. You just board the AirTrain and get off at your airline terminal.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, emergencymedic said:

...and takes you to the terminal not the airport train?    That airport train P4 station sounds confusing.

I know it does, but it's really quite easy. We have done it several times. The hotel shuttle buses drop off and pick up in one location and that is P4.  You take the Air Train (free within the airport) to and from P4 where you will pick up your courtesy shuttle.

Many cruisers (ourselves included) have stayed at Country Inn and Suites and also Embassy Suites in Elizabeth. If you are researching, Elizabeth is the city you will need to use - many have free airport shuttle but then again, you will be dropped at P4 and you'll need to take Air Train to your terminal.

11 minutes ago, Langley Cruisers said:

many have free airport shuttle

Do some allow you to leave your car there?  What we've found with parksleepfly is that you pay a little higher rate but well worth it.

I don't use Newark, so this is 100% speculation.

If you have a strong aversion to being dropped off at P4, getting a Lyft or Uber may be an alternative that will take you to/from the terminals.

Won't be as cheap as a hotel shuttle, but you can decide if the convenience is worth the cost.

• Like 1

All hotel shuttles are "supposed" to drop you at P4 because they are not permitted at the terminals. On our last trip we stayed at Country Inn and Suites with free parking. We had an early morning flight and were the only 2 on the shuttle so the driver offered to drop us at the terminal. We gave him an extra tip for the convenience. Upon return we had to catch the shuttle at P4 and it wasn't really a problem. The airtrain is free within the airport and is automated stopping at all the terminals. Enjoy Alaska.

Alan

The Courtyard by Mariott is just off the airport grounds, and they do "most of the time" have deals for stay and park.   (As does the Doubletree and Ramada just next door.  

PLEASE understand that the shuttles to P4 (and the train from there to the terminals) is the SIMPLEST thing to do in the world.  You CANT get lost, you CANT take a wrong turn, there are employees at EVERY stop to help and direct you.   (And the hotel shuttles really DO run every 1/2 hour.  

We do the same thing you are considering every time we fly to a cruise out of NY area,   (JFK has the same system, and the hotels around there have the same deals) 

On 7/15/2019 at 6:44 PM, emergencymedic said:

Hello!

What exact date would you be doing this?  What is your hotel budget?  Two people?  Any other requirements?

Unfortunately Newark airport is set up with all the shuttles picking up and dropping off at the P4 Airtrain Station.  I have also had the experience many years ago of the hotel shuttle dropping us off at the terminal for a very early flight.  I’ve also picked up DD and DGD at 5:30 am and the terminal area was dead dead dead, so maybe they don’t enforce that limitation at odd hours.

My recommendation would be to look at trinityreservations.com for a park/sleep.  They quote tax included, which the other park/sleeps don’t do until you go to pay online.  This is a reputable company with good customer service which I have used for cruising from Cape Liberty.

Take the reviews of any EWR hotel with a grain of salt.  These hotels are heavily used and some of them do show wear. They are not vacation destinations. Often the reviews are from unhappy folks who have their travel plans interrupted and get dumped in a hotel that is not expecting them.

The Newark Airport Marriott is the one hotel that has shuttles from the terminal. It doesn’t seem to get many mentions on here, but we had a good stay. I’m not sure how the price compares to the other hotels that have been mentioned; we stayed as part of a group booking. I wasn’t the one that did the research or picked the hotel. They do have parking, though I’m not sure if they allow you to park for the week. 

Most all the hotels have park & fly rates and SOME will drop you at your terminal if you ask, though not always.   The EWR Marriott full service will likely be very expensive as their daily parking fee for overnight guests is around 40 bucks.  The Courtyard and Residence Inn Elizabeth/EWR have park & fly rates, as does the Embassy Suites.  

The Courtyard often has flight crews staying and if you get on a van with them, there's a good chance that you can get dropped at your terminal though YMMV.  When I last stayed there, I was dropped off at a terminal.

That said, the monorail is pretty easy to use.