Whisper Barcelona-Athens, 18-30 July 2019

Tothesunset

Dear JohnGinPBG,

I agree with Stumblefoot.  Many years ago, someone told me I would hate Venice because it smells and I shouldn't go.  My answer was maybe so, but I want to smell it for myself!!!

You mention you have a good camera - thought you may be interested in a couple of my photos taken on an iPhone, so yours would be a lot better than this.  So do go and enjoy!! 

NB the date on the picture of the Silver Shadow leaving Santorini is incorrect - it was in fact July 6 - apologies.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

cruise ship pier with Fira capital of Santorini towering above.  .JPG

Fira Santorini from Silver Shadow.JPG

Fira Santorini showing Cable car.JPG

Santorini,  leaving July 7 2019.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Master Echo said:

I agree with Stumblefoot.  Many years ago, someone told me I would hate Venice because it smells and I shouldn't go.  My answer was maybe so, but I want to smell it for myself!!!

Thank you, Master Echo. We'll plan to go to Oia first thing in the AM and maybe still have time for the volcano trip. You're right. I would have regrets if I didn't see it for myself, regardless of the crowds. Beautiful pictures!

Edited by JohnGinPBG
addition
  • Like 1

Dear JohnGinPBG,

Apologies for my delay in replying to your post. 

I am so pleased about your decision and hope that you enjoy Oia, and also that you manage to get to the volcano, also worth doing.

Apologies are also needed for my photographs.  I have still yet to notate all pictures taken on the cruise on the Shadow in June/July, but I specifically did so for the ones I posted for you, so that you could see - for example -where the tender boats land, below Fira, the capital of the island.  As I said these were taken on an iPhone, and it is possible when viewing these to "zoom in" and therefore you would have seen the layers of the rock formation, the cable car, and the buildings on Fira.  I also took a video of the whole island, which CC did say had been uploaded, only to state it was an "unsupported video type".   So I was horrified when they were finally posted to find that because of Cruise Critic's seemingly limitations, the  'zooming in' feature is not possible, therefore you were not able to get a better idea of the island and its buildings.  For this I can only say I am sorry, and hope that you will see it for yourself in a few months.

Kindest regards

Master Echo.

2 hours ago, Master Echo said:

Apologies are also needed for my photographs.

No need to apologize, Master E. Your photos and video gave me a good indication of how the island looks from the ship and reinforced my decision to go to Oia. I'll report back after our trip.

Thanks!

Dear JohnGinPBG, & Daveywavey70 

JohnGinPBG thank you for your kind comments.  However I sincerely hope that you saw Daveywavey70's video which he took in April when visiting Santorini.  Apart from the initial footage with all the people, it was a joy to behold with just the buildings and the beautiful vistas of which Santorini has so many.  It brought back so many memories of when I first visited there and there were less people.  So hope it gave you a much better flavour of the island than my poor pictures and that you really enjoy your time on the island, and hope that you also manage to do the volcano trip as well.  You do of course realise that the ship docks in the huge Caldera, formed when the original earthquake happened some 3,500 years ago.

I hope you have an amazing time JohnGinPBG on the island and thoroughly enjoy your day, and also a huge thank you to Daveywavey for his video encapsulating my first memories of this magical island.

Kindest regards

Master Echo