Whisper Barcelona-Athens, 18-30 July 2019

Tothesunset

3 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

'Twas indeed a joke. Actually it's a bit of a family joke because my father in law sent a gazpacho back because it was cold! 

That's reassuring to know.

I like food that is meant to be consumed warm delivered warm, and I have (reluctantly) sent back to the kitchen dishes that egregiously miss this standard.  Happily, this is rarely necessary on Silversea.

Waitstaff are doubtless accustomed to guests' complaints that the food is not warm enough.  I imagine they would be startled if a guest complained that the soup was not cold enough.  🙂 

• Thanks 1

IMG_20190718_201738.thumb.jpg.c8260ea7f2b8e687679bda7ef9b609f1.jpg

And finally an orange tart. Not very orangey and the egg in the mix had curdled a little giving a faint scrambled egg texture. Always disappointed with SS desserts and this was another that wasn't quite there. 

One thing I must say straight from the off is that I shall not remember which wines were offered at any meal. I drink what Mrs TTS deems palatable and that suits me just fine. So anyone hoping for some erudite insight into the wine selection needs to seek advice from a proper oenophile. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ahoy there!

While some of us are swanning off again on another lavish dip into luxury, some of us remain behind with a rather large timescale for the next one! Nearly a year to go! lol

image.png.104f66068412c3747400f05df84fc44e.png

Have a good one.... Will be nipping down to Tower Bridge later to attempt to Live YouTube Silver Wind arriving and again on Sunday Morning with a flight at Dartford...... I'm not a Wind Stalker really... honest!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Observer said:

I

Were you joking in this comment?  I suppose that gazpacho can be served warm, and perhaps SS promised a warm soup.  

I think you haven't yet grasped the style of Mr TTS's humour.

• Haha 2

I say, Marseilles is much nicer a city than we had expected. Bearing in mind we lived in France for 6 years all we knew about this place was the disapproving mentions by various non-Marseillaises we didn't have high hopes. It has a reputation as being seedy, crime-riddled, unpleasant and suffocatingly hot. Only the latter applies, I feel. 

I'll put up some photos as I've got 4g just now but the forum will only take one at a time unless I downsize them and it's far too hot for that sort of effort. 

IMG_20190719_093429.thumb.jpg.bbb63544f381fee4ed395f39e2c43d06.jpg

IMG_20190719_103307.thumb.jpg.e88c5beee8c5371d90ee637c0894bbd9.jpg

• Like 1

Tonight is the first of 2 formals. Captain's welcome thing. Means we get the bar to ourselves at least. Seeing as last night there were passengers in shorts and jeans (that is some in shorts some in jeans - although if someone had worn both it wouldn't have surprised me) I don't hold out much hope for a classily dressed event but let's not pre-judge. 

We are dining with Flavio Gioia the HD - anything you want me to give him the third degree on you've got 4 hrs to let me know. 

• Like 1

Mrs TTS is a very elegant and beautiful woman!  She always looks meticulously put together and very poised in her photos!  And I'm sure she "gets" your wit TTS even if she doesn't always approve.  🙂  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, mysty said:

Mrs TTS is a very elegant and beautiful woman!  She always looks meticulously put together and very poised in her photos!  And I'm sure she "gets" your wit TTS even if she doesn't always approve.  🙂  

No way am I going to tell her you said that. 

On the other hand, I'm not going to disagree. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tothesunset said:

Tonight is the first of 2 formals. Captain's welcome thing. Means we get the bar to ourselves at least. Seeing as last night there were passengers in shorts and jeans (that is some in shorts some in jeans - although if someone had worn both it wouldn't have surprised me) I don't hold out much hope for a classily dressed event but let's not pre-judge. 

We are dining with Flavio Gioia the HD - anything you want me to give him the third degree on you've got 4 hrs to let me know. 

Sounds like enforcing the Silversea dress code would be a good opening for the third degree!  enjoy your cruise.

• Thanks 1

Good point, B. I shall do exactly that. 

I get the impression that the proportion of first-time SSers is higher than normal so maybe they were just being flexible for the first night. 

Some children in the pool this afternoon. They started jumping in and bombing, got stern word from parent, no further hassle. Great kids, good parents. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tothesunset said:

I say, Marseilles is much nicer a city than we had expected. Bearing in mind we lived in France for 6 years all we knew about this place was the disapproving mentions by various non-Marseillaises we didn't have high hopes. It has a reputation as being seedy, crime-riddled, unpleasant and suffocatingly hot. Only the latter applies, I feel. 

Great to hear that the image of this French city is improving.  Have not visited there, but maybe we need to head there at some future time.  Nice pictures and, as always, wonderful details and updates.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 247,972 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

• Thanks 1