Whisper Barcelona-Athens, 18-30 July 2019

Tothesunset

Since last we spoke we have had dinner with Flavio and 3 passengers and what an engaging meal it was. Not only good company but a first class Taste of France menu. 

Today we have been anchored off Monaco. Forgive me, but Monaco is a bit of a dump. Each time we've been here we can't understand why it's the most expensive place in the world to buy or rent property. It's just an inner city high rise project with Ferraris.  So we stayed on board and had the ship mostly to ourselves, which is kind of cool. 

I have to say that this is the first port-intensive cruise we have done and the first med cruise. The whole vibe is very different from the longer, sea day heavy cruises we prefer. Its not a bad vibe, just different; not as relaxed, maybe, or perhaps the clientele are less savvy with the SS way. I don't know quite how to convey such a subtle perception. There are a few alpha males (and females) who clearly feel they've bought their passage so they own the ship. You know the type? 

One chap earlier was giving it large to all within earshot that this was his third SS cruise. Whoopee doo. 

Didn't ask Flavio about the dress code enforcement policy but last night, a formal night, there were several passengers in the main bar before dinner without even a jacket never mind formal wear. I'm sorry, but how difficult is it? On the upside, the children on board don't seem to be an issue (well, they're someone's issue but you know what I mean). 

Ship's WiFi is diabolically slow. No 4g today but get that back in Italy tomorrow. This site, for example, takes about 45 seconds to load, photos can be neither uploaded nor downloaded and many apps and sites simply won't load at all. I know I'm moaning a bit, and it's not a deal-breaker, but some upgrade to the service needs to happen. 

• Like 1

TTS, 

Your wife looks very regal! 

I concur with the port intensive vibe, its really a lot of FOMO.

I don't understand the dress code enforcement policy either.

I was told that the bartender has the authority to tell the offending and inappropriately dressed pax they will not be served, but this is discretionary and variable.

• Thanks 1

The timing of the fireworks nicely matched the Chocolate Extravaganza on the pool deck:

IMG_20190720_224332.thumb.jpg.a4041fa8a1b0586f72450d73d1d09106.jpg

The Silversea singers put on a medley of songs including ABBA, some Motown, a bit of Rock and Roll and reminded me why we don't go to the shows. I'm such a curmudgeon! So while we ate Death by Chocolate, ABBA suffered Death by Silversea. 

Edited by Tothesunset
  • Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:42 AM, spinnaker2 said:

YOU ARE ONBOARD!!!!!

enjoy.

Our granddaughter will be getting on in Pireaus at the end of your cruise.

She's 16 and its her first cruise. A friend invited her to go with their family!

Hi Spins, how cool is that?:classic_biggrin:

TTS, enjoying your reports:classic_smile:

There are people who always think they are better than others.:classic_rolleyes::classic_wacko:....happens on every line.....just like it happens

in life, since cruising is a very small % of that...….

Looking forward to following the rest of your trip.:classic_smile: and that chocolate looks delicious!

9 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

The timing of the fireworks nicely matched the Chocolate Extravaganza on the pool deck:

IMG_20190720_224332.thumb.jpg.a4041fa8a1b0586f72450d73d1d09106.jpg

The Silversea singers put on a medley of songs including ABBA, some Motown, a bit of Rock and Roll and reminded me why we don't go to the shows. I'm such a curmudgeon! So while we ate Death by Chocolate, ABBA suffered Death by Silversea. 

tumblr_lqjh80PCWL1qgi18fo1_400.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Portovenere today. Spent the morning on deck and took the tender into town after lunch. Very pretty town indeed. Tomorrow is a sea day. 

No photos today or tomorrow because we are back on ship's WiFi. Sorrento Tuesday so I shall do my best to remember to upload some photos when I get 4g back. I've photoed tonight's menu so will post those to give a flavour (groan) of tonight's offerings in the MDR. 

Goodnight and sleep well my children. 

• Like 2

Thanks TTS for taking the time during your cruise vacation to share your adventure. Looks like you are enjoying. We will be on next May and wondering if you could share some picks of the rooms and other updates to public spaces  since I  believe whisper went thru a recent upgrade/refurbishment and interested To see if there is a difference between its sister ship the Shadow which we were just on in October. We willl be in a Vista suite, so not sure if you are levels above that, but whatever you are willing to share would be great. 

Thanks also for sharing pictures of the menus. I can’t remember all the offerings in the Grill and La Terrazza and wanted to share that with my cousin who will be joining us next year and who has gluten allergies. When it’s time to make reservations, want to know if there is enough variety offered in La T . 

Enjoy your cruise and thanks again for sharing with all of us! 

Thank you so much for all of these fabulous posts! We will be on the Whisper on September 3...first time on Silversea. It is so much fun to get a feel for the cruise, day by day. I can't wait!

Today we broke one of our unwritten rules and took a ship's excursion. I know! But it was too difficult to do the Amalfi Coast thing independently particularly with the amount of traffic on the road. I think it was a good choice. 

I have to say, and this is the curmudgeon and hypocrite in me coming out, that the natural beauty of this spectacular coastline is tempered by the hordes of tourists and unremitting traffic. And not once did we see Sophia Loren in pearls and headscarf getting whisked along in an open-topped sports car. 

Its also very hot today. Actually it's not so much the heat, which at 33 degrees is tolerable, but the humidity and lack of breeze that saps one's energy. Nevertheless, what a privilege to visit this famous region. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tothesunset said:

Today we broke one of our unwritten rules and took a ship's excursion. I know! But it was too difficult to do the Amalfi Coast thing independently particularly with the amount of traffic on the road. I think it was a good choice. I have to say, and this is the curmudgeon and hypocrite in me coming out, that the natural beauty of this spectacular coastline is tempered by the hordes of tourists and unremitting traffic. And not once did we see Sophia Loren in pearls and headscarf getting whisked along in an open-topped sports car. Its also very hot today. Actually it's not so much the heat, which at 33 degrees is tolerable, but the humidity and lack of breeze that saps one's energy. Nevertheless, what a privilege to visit this famous region. 

Very well summarized about the serious trade-offs in doing the Amalfi Coast.  So wonderful, charming and beautiful.  BUT, the crowds can make things challenging.  Glad that you took an excursion and let someone else worry on the logistics.  Ship excursion are not perfect, but it can be a decent way to see these world-class sights.  Keep up the great sharing. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 248,061 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

• Thanks 1