Nieuw Statendam in Norway July 21, 2019

PandaBear62

Hello Everyone, sailing away today! Will try and post menus and other information. I plan to get internet for sea days and use my International calling plan in port.

We boarded about 12 and were on quickly. Had a problem with my sisters drink package and was happy to stand in the Club Orange line (just one person ahead of me).   

Photo is drink events and cost. 

3100A94F-C7C3-464A-9CCF-4A2A1303F915.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks, PandaBear62!

We disembarked this beautiful ship on June 23.  I see they added a movie on the World Stage the first night (we didn’t have anything other than the 9:30pm EXC Talk, which didn’t get broadcast on stateroom tvs), that’s better than nothing.  I also see there’s a different Captain and Cruise Director.

Have a wonderful cruise!  Ours was fabulous.

Very nice of Panda Bear to post daily accounts.  I myself just concluded two weeks on the impressive Nieuw Statendam yesterday.  Although 70 of age, this was my very first cruise. I traveled considerably, but never on sea - apprehensive of seasickness, potential boredom, the crowds, the dependence, too much food, the general decadence.  After two weeks in Norway, I have been totally converted.  My summary in one word: Fantastic!  

Aside from the first two  days with flashes of headaches, I popped one pill and put on my wrist bands.  Of course, it helped that the waves were minimal.  In fact, we had nearly always sunny weather throughout the whole voyage.  LUCKY!   A few impressions and a couple of warnings from an enthusiastic first-timer:

• In the Navigator application, be sure not to press "Paid Internet".  I did so, thinking I would see details of Internet options.  Instead, I was immediately registered for the full package!   (No confirmation, nada).  Only a few days later, I noticed the charge in my account.  After a fervent appeal to the one in charge of Internet did they agree to refund me in full. 
  • Interior Cabins for those not spoiled by suites are fine, in my opinion.  Enough space, great shower. good bed.  After the initial minute shock of realizing what NO window entails, I felt at home.  Yes, the balcony looks wonderful, but as my neighbor confided, they never really used it due to the cold.  A big window makes more sense.  BTW, we were in 5065 - very quiet, clean, new feeling.    
  • Unless you among those wallowing in money or too tired to do your own planning, the Ship Shore excursions are NOT essential.  Most of towns, we walked around on our own. A few, we booked trips via local companies for half or even a third of HAL prices.  Yes, HAL offers the security of knowing you will not miss the departure, but with good planning you can avoid any real risk.  Especially, aggravating was the famous railway deal from Flam.   It seems obvious that HAL bought out the tickets months in advance.  When they failed to sell many of the tickets, they simply returned them a couple of days before.  For those fortunate enough to wait patiently, we manage to purchase the same tickets (minus the waffles) for up to a fifth of the price.     I understand the company's need to make a profit, but in this case, it seems exorbitant. If someone can correct my viewpoint, I will be read it.
  • Similarly, the whole Internet packaging also seems exorbitant.  Yes, I realize it is an option, but today having Internet access is not a luxury.   We did alway find Wifi in ports.
  • The fitness room is great, but too heated for those of us who build up sweats.  They do have chilled towels which is fantastic.
  • The very best part of the ship itself was the amazing Entertainment program.  It helps that the music is geared to the Baby Boomers.  We loved it all.
  • Try eating breakfast and especially dinner in the Dining Room on the 2/3 floors only when you have the time.  There are advantages and disadvantages versus the blessed Lido room.   A matter of atmosphere and time - more than taste.
  • I thought I would be bored by the several sea days.  NO.  Enjoyed relaxing on ship, playing bridge, dancing a bit, taking it all in.
  • When in the elevators, keep your head down and focus on what day is written on the carpet.   They go by faster than you think.  

My only real complaint about my two week cruise is that it lasted only two weeks.

Enjoy!

• Like 3

Dinner on Sunday in Club Orange

I had the Bay shrimp tots, tomato soup and the special of the day, the shrimp fettuccini. All were very warm, even hot, when served to us. I liked all of these. The fettuccini was delicious. 

1C7E98B5-E1A2-4BD2-8281-4D00D888415B.jpeg

4E8482CC-C87F-43DE-8564-E7F87CCF057B.jpeg

3229364C-7687-4A9C-A1CC-9BDEBE0837B6.jpeg

9CAF1145-31C4-4D38-ACEE-1D4C5F968F9A.jpeg

• Like 1

Tuesday dinner (gala night #1)

i had the shrimp cocktail (sorry no picture) which was average. I had the Club Orange special which was short ribs and polenta. Short ribs can be very fatty but these were not. Very rich, though. The polenta was excellent as well. 

For dessert i had the chocolate soufflé and it was also good (forgot to do picture)

My sister and mom had the cannelloni and risotto which they both liked.

9F8C6F9B-2885-4D4C-B5D9-AFCF0251578E.jpeg

B2A258E3-4BC3-4937-999B-7C5D044505E3.jpeg

1BE0BB8A-22DF-440B-8B49-A61E1B668B37.jpeg

Edited by PandaBear62
  • Like 1