New England Excursions Questions

Slimflounder

Newbies here, so excuse my terminology. Wondering about excursions in Bar Harbor and Nova Scotia. Port in BH at 7am, return to ship 6pm, looking at Acadia National Park excursion from 2:30-4:45pm. Port in NS at 7am, return to ship 7pm, looking at Peggy's Cove excursion 12:30-4pm.

My questions:

• These are ship excursions. I've seen some recommendations to not do ship excursions, but look for others.  Why is this?
  • We want to walk around and see the towns, go into a couple of neat places.  Would this allow enough time for this in each place?
  • We're early eaters, 5:30pm time slot each day. If we miss our scheduled time, do we still have an option to eat in dining room, and if so, how?  Would we need to let them know we're not going to be there at our allotted time?

First of all, it would be nice to know what ship you are on, to help answer your third question. Generally, there is always options to eat later, if you need to, but typically not in the dining room.

People do private tours, and/or do freelance trips...walking, taking public transit, cabs etc, for several reasons. The first one is typically you get more bang for your buck...more things seen or done, if you don't do ship's excursions. Typically, ship's excursions are bus trips with 40-55 of your new best friends, at least one or two of which are unable to be anywhere on time, or unfortunately overestimate their physical abilities and are physically challenged by the tour. These sorts of problems usually cause shortened experiences in key sites, to make sure things still relatively on schedule.

Private tours are much more flexible, frequently making their schedules to avoid the crowds where possible, or flat out just getting you there before the buses arrive. 

Have a look at the ports of call boards here on Cruise Critic.  You might find self- walking tours for your ports OR recommendations for private tour operators.  Usually they run cheaper than what the cruise line charges, and you see more.  Bar Harbor is a nice little town (although I haven't been there for 40 years).  You might also find people on your ROLL CALL who are booking private tours and want to fill a van for even less cost.  There are options out there, you just need to do your homework!

There is a free park circle bus at Bar Harbor; I believe it is called Island Explorer.  And the town itself is right there where you arrive.

Where you say NS, I assume you mean Halifax?  There are good things you can do there within walking distance of the ship: the boardwalk, Maritime Museum, Citadel.

I agree that reading the Ports (Canada/New England) board is a good idea.

I do not necessarily agree about a cost difference between cruise excursions and private ones.  Virtually all the ones I've looked at over the years were within a couple of dollars difference, at the most.  But at least, reading about the excursions offered for your cruise can give you an idea of what each port features.

Edited by shipgeeks
correct punctuation

Thank you for all of the valuable opinions/info! I found the port boards & will read up. We’re on Royal Caribbean’s Serenade of the Seas, our second cruise, 1st being Nassau/Coco Cay Bahamas. We’re hooked on cruising! Looking at Mediterranean or Alaska next. By NS, I meant Halifax, Nova Scotia. You can’t read minds? : )

We're not keen on ships' excursions because ............

- they're usually in a large group, typically a coachload of 50. This means waiting at each stop while 50 alight and board, especially if Doris is a really slow mover, or Ernie & Elsie get lost (again :classic_rolleyes:) & you all have to wait while someone goes find them (again), or Mavis gets embroiled in an argument with a trader about whether she tendered a ten or a twenty, or there's a long bathroom line.

- you're stuck with their itinerary & timings. Stuck looking at some memorial that's boring to you but interests others, or rushed past  a street artist that you want to watch for a while.

- you're stuck with their choice of lunch-stop

- my pet hate,  a lot of time is wasted by being taken to a silver workshop or batik studio or wherever, because the cruise line gets commission on stuff that's bought. Only happens on a few excursions, but  that really gets me riled. (Rant over :classic_wink:)

- ships' excursions are grossly over-priced. (re Shipgeek's comment- agreed, ship's excursion offerings are a good starting point to research what to DIY. And yes, just two of you doing the same as the ship excursion privately will be about the same cost but a better experience, but our experience of sharing a small-group tour with others is a very good compromise and almost always significantly cheaper). 

Check out your cruise's RollCall for tour-shares 

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/forum/20-roll-calls/

All that said, there are a few times we take a ship's tour -  for instance where the destination is distant or local transport unreliable or timing is tight.

For a first cruise can I suggest you mix ship's excursions in some ports with DIY in others.  

If the town is handy to the port, yes you'll have plenty of time to wander at will. 

Bar Harbor is an excellent example. 

If you're on scheduled ("traditional") dining with an early sitting and you miss it you can't normally roll up late for dinner in the dining room - but no harm in 1025's suggestion that you ask the Maitre D' . Or use the buffet - good "proper" dinners in there, just not the table service.

If your allocated dining is on a shared table it's good manners to let your table-mates know that you won't / might not be there. 

All JMHO as always

All first cruises are great - have a great time.

JB :classic_smile:

• Thanks 1

Most ships have some form of "anytime" dining...if you feel you may miss your assigned time, that is the dining choice you should make.

However, rarely do excursions make you late for any dinner seating.  You will have to be ON the ship 30 mins. prior to sail away each day.

Also..research your ports....you may find that what you want to do is easy on your own, without ANY excursion at all!

First off, if you decide you want to do one of the ship excursions, you really should consider booking in advance. I have been on board a ship with husband looking for an excursion the night before visiting a port and NOTHING is available. They absolutely sell out the premium times and sometimes, all the times.

John Bull is spot on.  I fully agree that the "worst" thing about ship excursions is the large groups on big buses and the obvious logistics of keeping everyone rounded up.  When you've had enough of some bland thing but you have to wait around for everyone, or if you want to linger and can't, it may be poor use of your time.  You give up some freedom.   Tips are often expected for excursions as well, which sometimes doesn't sit well if you already paid quite a bit.

On the other hand, there are advantages - you know you are with an approved vendor and that the details have been worked out for you. Not many worries about decision fatigue or making a misstep in unknown territory. Once you've signed up, you just do as you're told.  For Halifax we are going to get off the ship and walk over and up to the Citadel. We need exercise anyway, because Cruise Food. There are also several museums even closer to the dock and we will probably hit one or two as we like in the moment.   No excursion.

For Bar Harbour I'm planning to stay aboard ship with my mom as I don't want to mess with tendering, but my husband and daughter are likely to get a ship excursion.  It will probably be the easiest option and they'll be happy.

I've heard and read mixed on Peggy's Cove and decided to skip it. Lovely but not so much when all the crowds converge and start climbing around on the dangerous black rocks waiting for a big wave to sweep them away. 

We found there was plenty of time to go into town and check out the sights, especially St. John, Sydney and Halifax.  Halifax is bigger but still walkable.  There were Hop On Hop Offs right at the pier in Halifax as well.

We took an excursion in Sydney to the Louisbourg Fortress.  The guide was extremely informative and very interesting.  But, it was kind of rushed to keep on time as many such excursions are.  I think if I did it again I would rent a car.  On the other hand we had plenty of time to get back to the pier after the tour, go into town (which is literally right there) and have lunch.

Bar Harbor got skipped because it was foggy and the Captain wouldn't risk tendering.

I have found private excursions to be far superior.  We took one on Prince Edward Island and the guy drove us all over the place.  It was not less expensive, however.  The cost is "per vehicle" and you need to fill all the seats to make it cheaper per person.  We never do this and choose which ports we want to splurge in.  The rest we either DIY it into town (walk, taxis, local transportation) or take a ship's excursion.

One note:  Don't wait too long to decide on private excursions or even ship's excursions to popular places.  They sometimes book up pretty early.  

Because cruise food...😂 I plan on doing a lot of walking on the cruise-in ports & on ship, & we’re trying to be on our best behavior food-wise, until our cruise (& then the holidays shortly after). From hearing opinions, & researching, I’d rather explore all our ports solo, but we’re going with Acadia & Peggy’s Cove, to do those w/my in-laws, & then a Boston tour & airport drop off on last day, all w/the cruise ship excursions, but Portland & Saint John solo (so far, subject to change.)

As for people climbing on dangerous black rocks waiting for a big wave to sweep them away...😂 There’s always THAT person or group that makes the moment or location more memorable. I love to people watch, but am sure people find me quite entertaining to watch, too...

I can’t even imagine missing a port due to the weather. That would be quite disappointing, no matter how much I love being on ship.

Im so excited!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks again for those IMHO’s!