FRUGAL POST: I booked my Alaskan cruise for 7/29!!!

FaithPlus1

I kept putting it on hold because I was between the interior and the oceanview. Both were sailaway rates (I don't like to prepay and I know what I want). The oceanview was $300 more so I decided to save the $$$ instead. When I did this cruise 2 years ago on the Sun, the difference in price was only $100 and I had a great oceanview. I also kept thinking it would drop from $524 to $359 and then $299 which happened for the Southbound trip that leaves tomorrow, but as much as a gambler that I am, I got scared!

In any case I'm a frugal person and doing this solo. 

I paid (strictly for the room):

$727-$130 (bought the $250 Cruisenext on here for $120)=$597

My flight to Vancouver was $105 on United. Includes the seat assignment. Good flight time for me. Spending 2 nights in town. The first night I will be in a shared room with 1 other female at a hostel for $70 (hotels were really, really expensive!). The next night I was able to get at the Hyatt for "free" (really $75 since I have a Hyatt credit card and you pay $75 a year for your "free" night). My plans on doing a few short tours, eat poutine, go to Granville Island, and go to TK Maxx (I have always wanted to go there to see how it compares with TJ Maxx!). I would have liked to have done Victoria for 2 nights, but it's actually a bit less $$ me going as another trip in the fall doing for a 3 night trip so decided to take it as a separate trip most likely in October or November. 

My flight from Anchorage was $150 on Delta. I chose to go Economy Basic which I have never done.  Anchorage to SLC, and then SLC to LAX. To me the flight times aren't that long so if I et the middle seat, I will just deal with it. When I look at the flights on Delta from Anchorage to SLC, the flight wasn't that full and it looked like Delta was holding on to most aisle and window seats for their "elite" passengers (I'm not elite...I'm cheap).

Now to book excursions and to pack!

• Like 1

I’m a fan of deals so very impressed! Working at downsizing my expectations for items such as stateroom category to maximize my travel budget now that we’re unexpectedly retired. Thanks for the inspiration and wishing you a wonderful journey!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CarrieAP said:

I’m a fan of deals so very impressed! Working at downsizing my expectations for items such as stateroom category to maximize my travel budget now that we’re unexpectedly retired. Thanks for the inspiration and wishing you a wonderful journey!!

Thanks =D I like deals!

2 hours ago, FaithPlus1 said:

I kept putting it on hold because I was between the interior and the oceanview. Both were sailaway rates (I don't like to prepay and I know what I want). The oceanview was $300 more so I decided to save the $$$ instead. When I did this cruise 2 years ago on the Sun, the difference in price was only $100 and I had a great oceanview. I also kept thinking it would drop from $524 to $359 and then $299 which happened for the Southbound trip that leaves tomorrow, but as much as a gambler that I am, I got scared!

My flight to Vancouver was $105 on United. Includes the seat assignment. Good flight time for me. Spending 2 nights in town. The first night I will be in a shared room with 1 other female at a hostel for $70 (hotels were really, really expensive!). The next night I was able to get at the Hyatt for "free" (really $75 since I have a Hyatt credit card and you pay $75 a year for your "free" night). My plans on doing a few short tours, eat poutine, go to Granville Island, and go to TK Maxx (I have always wanted to go there to see how it compares with TJ Maxx!). I would have liked to have done Victoria for 2 nights, but it's actually a bit less $$ me going as another trip in the fall doing for a 3 night trip so decided to take it as a separate trip most likely in October or November. 

My flight from Anchorage was $150 on Delta. I chose to go Economy Basic which I have never done.  Anchorage to SLC, and then SLC to LAX. To me the flight times aren't that long so if I et the middle seat, I will just deal with it. When I look at the flights on Delta from Anchorage to SLC, the flight wasn't that full and it looked like Delta was holding on to most aisle and window seats for their "elite" passengers (I'm not elite...I'm cheap).

many other money savings ideas-  are you taking the sky train in Vancouver instead of a taxi?, renting a bicycle for Stanley park is a blast,   you will probably see plenty of whales on board so do you need an excursion for that?, are you stopping in Juneau if so the public bus system will take you out very close to the mendenhall glacier -  or pay for the  shuttle bus - much cheaper than an excursion.  Great job so far have fun

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newleno said:

many other money savings ideas-  are you taking the sky train in Vancouver instead of a taxi?, renting a bicycle for Stanley park is a blast,   you will probably see plenty of whales on board so do you need an excursion for that?, are you stopping in Juneau if so the public bus system will take you out very close to the mendenhall glacier -  or pay for the  shuttle bus - much cheaper than an excursion.  Great job so far have fun

LOL...you and I speak the same language!!

1. Only public transportation in Vancouver for me! I still have the re-loadable card from last time. I think it should work. 

2. I would like to rent a bike in Stanley Park as long as I have time

3. You know with the whales, I kept going back and forth on that. I plan on doing a full day excursion in Seward and people often see whales. I figured I probably will see some whales on the cruise itself. I don't know if it's necessary to keep going on more boat tours strictly for whales, but that's just me!

4. In Juneau last time I took the public bus to the fish hatchery, and some Glacier bus to and from Mendenhall. I think I might splurge on this and do the canoe trip. 

I'm on the same cruise and super jealous you got such a great deal.

There is something wrong with airline travel in Canada... The cheapest flights I could get cost $2400  CAD.. and just checked and they are almost double that now ($1200 per person just Ottawa to Vancouver)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FaithPlus1 said:

Wow, impressed!  When you booked solo, was the $727 twice what the rate was? I have been keeping an eye on the last minute Alaska cruises also but once you put 1 cruiser the rooms double of course, so it still hasn't worked out to a great yet for me.

Leah

3 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

good post, interesting how people can find ways to travel on a tight budget and sounds like the op really enjoys making plans that will save money. It can almost be a game for some. 

It kind of is a game for me lol. While I'm by no means rich, I don't need to do things like this. I often like to see what I can get for $. One of my favorite thing to do are food challenges actually. I see youtube videos where people are on a $10 for 5 day challenge I do these fairly frequently and while I may not have the most variety of foods to select from, I don't starve. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K_e_short said:

There is something wrong with airline travel in Canada... The cheapest flights I could get cost $2400  CAD.. and just checked and they are almost double that now ($1200 per person just Ottawa to Vancouver)

Air Canada? Their prices seem to have more a bizarre range than American based airlines. I was surprised. 

1 hour ago, browniegirl said:

Wow, impressed!  When you booked solo, was the $727 twice what the rate was? I have been keeping an eye on the last minute Alaska cruises also but once you put 1 cruiser the rooms double of course, so it still hasn't worked out to a great yet for me.

Leah

No it was $727 as a party of 1. NCL tends to drop the solo supplement or at least lower it significantly closer to sailings. I would never cruise if the solo supplement was that high. 

33 minutes ago, FaithPlus1 said:

No it was $727 as a party of 1. NCL tends to drop the solo supplement or at least lower it significantly closer to sailings. I would never cruise if the solo supplement was that high. 

Wow, that is amazing!  The cheapest so far I have found for August Alaska cruises for 1 comes out to $1900 taxes in and that is with $700 Canadian cruise next certs taken off!  I'll keep looking!

1 hour ago, FaithPlus1 said:

Air Canada? Their prices seem to have more a bizarre range than American based airlines. I was surprised. 

Westjet was the cheapest - $400 per person and Air Canada on the way back - $1200. The Westjet flight is now $800 per person.

It's something about flying out of Ottawa, or any Canadian city. 

I have friends who drive to Watertown (2 hours drive I think) and can get $200 flights to Florida.

1 hour ago, browniegirl said:

Wow, that is amazing!  The cheapest so far I have found for August Alaska cruises for 1 comes out to $1900 taxes in and that is with $700 Canadian cruise next certs taken off!  I'll keep looking!

Not sure what your room preference is (these are all interior) but found these!

NCL NB- $802USD includes taxes and fees 8/12

NCL NB $727 " " 8/26

NCL SB $727 8/5

Golden Princess SB $774 (honestly, I would have preferred Princess for myself) 8/31

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, FaithPlus1 said:

Not sure what your room preference is (these are all interior) but found these!

NCL NB- $802USD includes taxes and fees 8/12

NCL NB $727 " " 8/26

NCL SB $727 8/5

Golden Princess SB $774 (honestly, I would have preferred Princess for myself) 8/31

Thanks I will have a look!  I am from Canada so I have been looking at our dollar.

Leah

• Like 1

On 7/21/2019 at 5:32 PM, FaithPlus1 said:

Wuestion - What is cruisenext credit ? And what do you mean by bought on here ? 

Definitely following this!  My DH would LOVE it if I were to adopt your attitude about frugal traveling.  I think I'm going to learn a lot here.  😊  Have already learned about fat wallet and slick deals...both new to me.  My problem is that I don't feel comfortable giving up control of things like my cabin assignment on the ship and seat assignment on a plane.  Not to mention, I have no idea how I would share a room with a stranger in a hostel...  I truly am impressed and looking forward to more!

• Like 1

Cruisenext is a program NCL has where you can buy deposits onboard the ship. You essentially are buying 50% off vouchers (think Groupon). They are transferable and good for 4 years. 

Georgia, it's not for everyone for sure :)

On 7/22/2019 at 5:32 AM, K_e_short said:

I know, it's crazy!  I live in BC and to get a one way flight from Alaska back to either Vancouver or Vancouver island was $500..... so that made the cruise not such a great deal unfortunately!!!!!  So I haven't booked it.... 😞

On 7/21/2019 at 5:35 PM, kodesthemoose said:

Sounds like a fun and cheap trip. But what is TK maxx? I live in Vancouver and have never heard of it ? 

TK Maxx, TJ Maxx, Marshalls and Homegoods are all off price  stores owned by TJX corporation , in the US and Canada. Also, Winners in Canada.

Edited by phissy