ALLURE - PUERTO RICO UNREST

HI,

We are sailing on the Allure on July 28th.

On CNN today, they are showing a lot of unrest again in San Juan.

Business's are stating that there will be long traffic jams for tourists trying get around, Police are using tear gas again to break up protesters, and they are reporting that there are over 100,000 people on the main roadways and tourist areas.

Has anyone heard anything about a port change or sea day instead of a day in Puerto Rico? I hope we don not have another sea day. We already have 3 on this cruise. It would seem that RCCL would have enough time to plan another Port stop, even if it was on there own Island of CoCoCay.. I like sea days, but not 4 of them. We are taking our grandchildren and are looking forward to them experiencing the Island culture.

If anyone has heard anything, can you please share?

Thank you

Does anyone know if they are sailing to Puerto Rico this week or are they on a different itinerary?

• Like 1

They're playing it by ear.  If there is unrest in Old San Juan, they will divert and not dump 6,000 people into the middle of a protest.

Having said that, even the dysfunctional and corrupt island of PR will likely get their act together with regards to this before then, as they are losing a ton of $$$ from one of their few sources of income.

• Like 1

We were on Allure last week.  We stopped.  The protests are all happening in the late afternoon into the evening/night.  There were no protests while we were there, but we could see remnants of them, graffiti, broken windows, etc.

I never felt unsafe in any way.

I definitely think it's going to be decided on a day to day basis.  We have a trip coming up in early August and I've been wondering if it will be settled by then too.  No way for any of us to know. 

Has everyone that has been diverted just had a sea day instead? 

2 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

Does anyone know if the Freedom sailed yesterday from San Juan ?  Has this unrest disrupted the sailings out of SJ ?

Freedom sailed from SJ yesterday.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Luv06012012 said:

I definitely think it's going to be decided on a day to day basis.  We have a trip coming up in early August and I've been wondering if it will be settled by then too.  No way for any of us to know. 

Has everyone that has been diverted just had a sea day instead? 

We were on the Harmony last week and did not stop in San Juan.  We had an extra sea day.  We were set to be in port from 2pm to 9pm.  

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

Does anyone know if the Freedom sailed yesterday from San Juan ?  Has this unrest disrupted the sailings out of SJ ?

It sailed no problem. Cruises originating in PR don't come and go from Old San Juan, but across the bay.  No issues over there.

The Freedom sailed yesterday. We will be on the Freedom this coming Sunday.  The issue with the day stops is that they dock at the pier that is right in Old San Juan and the timing of the stops often.  I was worried about us leaving but am no longer worried. I think we will be fine. We did change our hotel from Old San Juan to the Condado area just in case.  Today's protests are massive partially because everything is closed today.  I honestly thought he would have resigned last night but still think that might happen this week. 

We are on anthem and are scheduled to go there tomorrow. I am “thinking” corporate is waiting to see what comes of today’s protest before they make a final decision. I can keep you updated but just an FYI, everything will be decided in a case by case basis daily, is my opinion. 

• Like 1

For carib sailings (which we do often) we aren't itinerary people (same stuff/different island), so it doesn't matter where the ship goes, we just love being on ships!  But...if we missed SJ, again no big deal, it would be awesome to go to CoCo Cay, probably not gonna happen and they will just add another seas day, but it would excite folks and take the sting out of missing SJ.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brillohead said:

Not sure how much "island culture" you're going to find in San Juan....

Food, Music, art- yea, that's a good amount of local culture.

And many Puerto Rican's I know want to move to Old San Juan, as it's the cultural center of Puerto Rico to them- even ones who grew up on the other side of the island in Ponce.  So there's plenty of Puerto Rican culture in Old San Juan, just have to not stand in the tourist shops.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2019 at 4:21 PM, DrBoots said:

We are on anthem and are scheduled to go there tomorrow. I am “thinking” corporate is waiting to see what comes of today’s protest before they make a final decision. I can keep you updated but just an FYI, everything will be decided in a case by case basis daily, is my opinion. 

How was it? Were any shops open in old San Juan? We are there next week.

Well the corrupt Governor just said he would resign effective 8/2.  

Not sure if people will keep up the protests now til 8/2 or say ok, he is going - no need to continue

But I doubt anything after 8/2 will have issues 

Edited by Maverick61

His offici

11 hours ago, Maverick61 said:

Well the corrupt Governor just said he would resign effective 8/2.  

Not sure if people will keep up the protests now til 8/2 or say ok, he is going - no need to continue

But I doubt anything after 8/2 will have issues 

His official letter of resignation was submitted today. So I think as of now things are good. We fly down Saturday to go on the freedom on Sunday. 

• Like 1