Spirit Cabins

thames_side

6 hours ago, thames_side said:

So is it worth paying the extra for a deluxe cabin. They look a bit bigger but do they have any other advantages?

Saga's blurb says, "they are are also higher up on the ship, for better views and access to all of the ship's facilities, but then shows that in fact there are Deluxe cabins on all 5 cabin decks which makes a mockery of that statement.

The only differences in the facilities listed appear to be "walk in wardrobe" and "seating area", but all cabins appear to have seating and the chairs appear to be identical in Deluxe and Standard cabins.  Despite the extra space in a Deluxe there is no sofa, just the chairs and a storage bench thing.

So it does seem that the only difference is the extra space.

A few  lines do issue  cabin plans, square footage  for cabins and balconies, etc.  Others - like Saga - are rather vague in their detailing.  I find it annoying, and now that Saga ships will not have so many different types of cabin they should be more specific, IMO.   I too like to know the difference in sizes and arrangements, to make the best choice.  Walk in wardrobes are nice - I didn't know there were any on the new ships.

Just had a look on Cruisemapper, and it would seem, if true, that the square footage of both de luxe and standard cabins is identical, at 245 including balcony (not very big by luxury standards) .  The de luxe cabins look shorter and squarer on the deck plans, but nearer to lifts.  Also amenities, including walk in wardrobes, seem to be the same.  If all this is the case, one would not want to pay much if any more for a de luxe.  

Hope someone who is/has been on board will do a report here; it would be helpful and interesting.

According to Saga's 'A Guide to Spirit of Discovery', standard balcony cabins are 215 sq ft and deluxe up to 350 sq ft.

Only deluxe have a walk in wardrobe.

On the recent videos that early passengers posted on YouTube it's obvious that deluxe are noticeably bigger than standard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avfSQqLiWXM  (standard twin)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FhK_Z0gQYM (deluxe single)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDAR_6B6dBo (suite, deluxe and standard)

52 minutes ago, thames_side said:

Certainly no point if they are the same size. That is probably why they don't seem to be selling very fast.

They've sold well enough on my cruise, in fact the whole cruise is sold out.

The cabin descriptions on Cruisemapper aren't the least bit trustworthy: Standard Balcony cabins have full butler service listed among the amenities which is obviously nonsense. The deck plans, lifted from Saga, correctly show the Deluxe Twin Balcony cabins as significantly larger than Standard Twins. 

• Like 1

After watching the videos it seems to me that the Deluxe cabins are much wider than the standard, a lot more space at the end of the bed in addition to the walk in wardrobe. 

For us, who have recently been cruising in an Oceanview on Azamara, having the standard balcony looks wonderful. I just wish the future pricing wasn’t quite so high. 

Sorry if I got this completely wrong.  However, I still maintain that Saga are rather coy about giving exact information about the different cabin types, and a  cabin plan, which for instance Seabourn provide, would be helpful.  And a proper square footage of both cabin and balcony also.

• Like 1

Trying to find out more about the cabins - the only pictures I can find of balconies appears to show just two upright chairs and a small table on them. Does anyone know if they have lounging type chairs as well or instead?

I suppose it depends on how much use you make of your cabin. 

We have just booked the standard cabins, I'm sure that they will be more than adequate 🙂

As to the balconies, very few have room for loungers, we have a B3 extended balcony booked on our Riviera cruise which comes with loungers and have an aft QG suite with loungers on our Iceland cruise, extra balcony space generally comes at a premium.

Looking at the loungers on the videos I hope they will have cushions on otherwise they look uncomfortable. 

Edited by Glenndale

I guess I am being a bit dim - Glenndale, are you talking about Cunard rather than  Saga cabins?

I suppose I should not keep mentioning Seabourn, but all the balconies in all grades are large enough for comfortable lounging type chairs, and a table, whereas the only illustration I have seen for a Discovery balcony seems to show just upright chairs and a small bistro type table.  If so, this seems  a shame as it can be nice to spend hours on your balcony reading and looking at the sea if you are comfortable.    Again, I can't help feeling that most people would like to know in advance from pictures and square footage exactly what they are going to get - hope Saga head office reads our comments.

I was talking about the Saga cabins - balconies actually 🙂

And then I went on to compare cabins that offered the sun bed type loungers on the balcony - I do tend to go off at a tangent.

You are right about not having all the info re sizes for the lower standard and deluxe cabins but looking at the pictures the standard look perfectly adequate. Even the single standard cabins which my s-i-l has booked look able to take 2 people.

We have opted for the standard cabin. Not ones to spend much time in the cabin anyway, as there’s far too much to do elsewhere on the ship, we thought it looked quite roomy enough. We though the cabins on Sapphire large compared to other cruise ships.

16 hours ago, IbizaLover said:

We have opted for the standard cabin. Not ones to spend much time in the cabin anyway, as there’s far too much to do elsewhere on the ship, we thought it looked quite roomy enough. We though the cabins on Sapphire large compared to other cruise ships.

No. we don't spend a lot of time in the cabin, and I am sure they will be large enough.  We do, though, like to sit comfortably on a balcony in good weather for a couple of hours, and that is why I would like to know if they re big enough/have appropriate furniture for this.  That is all!   No doubt in time there will be reports to inform us.

• 2 weeks later...

Lincslady, as a fellow Seabourner, I understand your dilemma. My travel agent made a call to Saga to ask room sizes for deluxe cabins, as we would find the standard cabins much too small, and was told the deluxe cabins are just "around 345 sq ft".  Of the 3 videos Tigrou posted above, the last video is the one you'd find  most useful. At 2.26 mins shows a standard cabin and at 3.48 mins shows a deluxe cabin, but it doesn't show the balcony arrangements at all.  If we had decided to book, we would have asked more about that too. 

I agree that Saga seemed to be keeping the info difficult to find online, and I, for one , would not book without having all this info known to me, preferably in writing, but as kentchris mentioned earlier, the deck plans show the deluxe cabins looking larger by some margin. I hope they will make the info readily available online very soon. 

I will wait until more videos from cruisers are posted to see what cabin might suit us. Meanwhile, I wish everyone very happy cruising wherever you may be. 

The deluxe cabins we saw, were wider than the standard and had more room at end of bed.The standard are quite tight at end of bed, especially if you are of broad build.Shower room and shower were fine.Balcony bit small for our liking but for a cruise with all port days it would be fine. After our recent cruise,we looked at upgrading to a deluxe for our next one,but the price jumps up.

auldlassie - thanks for referring me to the video from Tigrou; I should have looked before.  The shots of the balcony confirm what I had thought, a comparatively comfy but 'dining' type chair, and small table, and janecambridge also says that the balconies are on the small side (thanks for your report).   I can't help but think that Saga keep the sizes close to their  chest, as they do not compare very favourably with the 'luxury' lines (Seabourn, Regent, Silversea).  Otherwise, Spirit does seem to compare very favourably with those lines.   And so far everyone seems to be liking her.

7 hours ago, lincslady said:

I can't help but think that Saga keep the sizes close to their  chest, as they do not compare very favourably with the 'luxury' lines (Seabourn, Regent, Silversea). 

I suggest you do a dummy booking to find out cabin square footage and plans, although the information is a bit patchy at the moment. I recently had a look at cabins on my cruise next month (Myths and Legends of the Baltic) for the first time in a while: the descriptions of grades had floor areas quoted plus a perspective plan/view of a Standard Balcony and a floor plan of a Midship Suite, none of which I remember from when the cruise was first available to book online.

The numbers are (in square feet): Standard 215, Deluxe 350, Midship Suite <= 462, Aft Suite <= 540, Forward Suite <= 855.

Thanks, Kentchris.  215 sq.ft. is not huge ( I assume this is plus balcony?) but certainly larger than the standard on the old  ships.  I still wish they would show plans of cabins and quote sizes of cabins and balconies in their brochures, however.

Never mind, she still looks lovely everywhere else - and I do like the idea of being able to make my own morning tea.