Equinox wi-fi b2b July 5/July 13

39august

The cruise was great but the wi-fi was the worst we have ever experienced in many years of cruising. My husband spoke with the CC host about his concerns and the host spoke with the IT manager. The manager called our room and left a message that he was refunding 25% of the cost for our trouble. That was the first week. The second week it was just as bad or worse. No bars often, even in ports. Spoke with the IT guy at the Elite HH. Asked why the inputs (3 of them) on TV were all disabled. Goobeldegook answer. Blamed it on the vendor and said only the vendor could turn them on. Yeah, sure. Anyway, we were glad to get the little bit of cost back and since we used their OBC to pay both weeks, we really were out nothing. We did get a better signal in the library. Just FYI. 

• Thanks 1

I was on the July 13th sailing. WiFi was SLOW in my cabin.  Worked better on the upper levels.  Since I was on vacation, I didn't need it, but for the price they charge, they should have more boosters throughout the ship.

On 7/22/2019 at 1:21 PM, 39august said:

The cruise was great but the wi-fi was the worst we have ever experienced in many years of cruising. My husband spoke with the CC host about his concerns and the host spoke with the IT manager. The manager called our room and left a message that he was refunding 25% of the cost for our trouble. That was the first week. The second week it was just as bad or worse. No bars often, even in ports. Spoke with the IT guy at the Elite HH. Asked why the inputs (3 of them) on TV were all disabled. Goobeldegook answer. Blamed it on the vendor and said only the vendor could turn them on. Yeah, sure. Anyway, we were glad to get the little bit of cost back and since we used their OBC to pay both weeks, we really were out nothing. We did get a better signal in the library. Just FYI. 

Thank you for sharing your experience.  I plan to purchase an internet package for our October Equinox sailing, and am debating which of the two services would be best.  Would you mind sharing which you had, the surf package or the unlimitted package? TIA 

We had a sky suite with unlimited internet included for our alaska cruise 2 years ago on the Solstice. I remember at sea the connection was horrible, like 300 baud modem horrible. But, once we got to any port it was perfectly fine. Hopefully when we do our next cruise next summer it will have a better connection 🙂

I thought maybe it was my cheapy old android phone, but when I would try my new-ish iPad I would have the same problem.

I was on the 6/29 sailing in cabin 1120 on deck 10.  Wi-Fi was horrible and worse during the second half of the trip.  There were many times that we couldn’t use it at all in the cabin.  I was traveling with a 16 year old who was vlogging her trip and to her, it felt like the world was coming to an end.  She left the room often in search of better reception.  We were right around the corner from the library.

If you have very bad reception onboard, make sure to bring it to their attention.  We had awful service on a recent cruise and ultimately the tech guys had to install a booster in our cabin.  Unfortunately it took three days and as many phone calls but ultimately it helped.  How good your reception is varies tremendously by your location, and there is no predicting.  If there is no signal booster nearby (and I know there is a more technical word for it but I don't remember it)), then your signal will be weaker.

We have only cruised the Caribbean, Alaska, and the west coast of the US - of these the worst reception on land was on our Alaska trip last May.  Often could not get local reception from our balcony.  Had to walk into town to get decent connection in most of the ports.  Was very rainy that trip - maybe that affected the satellite or whatever it is (can you tell I'm not a techy😊), as we have never had that many issues in Alaska.

My experience on all ships has been that the closer you are to a Router the better connection you will get.   This would be true in your home or business.   Take a look in the hallway and see where the router is located.    You will see it on the wall.   We had a RS on Silhouette that had on previous cruises been a dead spot.   Last year on the first day our butler knocked on the door and had an IT person with him.   He said he was getting a failure on a router and showed me they had installed a repeater in the room and it needed to be rebooted.    Obviously we had REALLY good connectivity.