Another Gala night dress question

LAgator

One of the reasons I like cruising is to get dressed up!!!  Living in Florida, my dress code is flip flops and shorts and tanks with a bathing suit thrown in.  

On a similar note, my husband and I were staying at the Fairmont Chateau in Lake Louise and had dinner reservations one night.  He had on a white shirt and tie, khakis and a navy blazer.  He was turned away from the dining room because he did not have on black shoes.  I am dead serious -- he had boat shoes on and that was not acceptable.

On 7/22/2019 at 3:34 PM, Krazy Kruizers said:

Take a nice pair of slacks for Gala nights.

Leave the jacket at home if you don't have enough space to pack it.

We are among those who do not own any jeans -- just saying.

I'm with you, we threw all our jeans  away when we moved to Florida in 1993. I wear shorts 99% of the time. Have some nice dress slacks and all the colors of Haggar work to weekend khakis. Anyway on Gala night, I wear a nice sport jacket with a polo shirt or mock turtle and dress slacks. Just me but jeans and shorts should not be allowed in the MDR for dinner at any time. Bottom line is what the line says and what the line allows are 2 different things, on our last HAL cruise and on the last Gala night 2 gents came in the MDR with shorts and baseball caps, no one said a thing.

Edited by MISTER 67

1 hour ago, MISTER 67 said:

I'm with you, we threw all our jeans  away when we moved to Florida in 1993. I wear shorts 99% of the time. Have some nice dress slacks and all the colors of Haggar work to weekend khakis. Anyway on Gala night, I wear a nice sport jacket with a polo shirt or mock turtle and dress slacks. Just me but jeans and shorts should not be allowed in the MDR for dinner at any time. Bottom line is what the line says and what the line allows are 2 different things, on our last HAL cruise and on the last Gala night 2 gents came in the MDR with shorts and baseball caps, no one said a thing.

They should have been turned away and asked to change their clothes.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, awhcruiser said:

54 minutes ago, awhcruiser said:

They should have been turned away but weren't. Shame on HAL.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SweetsugarNL said:

Are khakis not good? In my country they are good for this dort of things.

Clean chino khakis with a navy jacket is classic. But some people wear khakis until they look messy and dirty. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2019 at 4:52 PM, bEwAbG said:

Whether CA, LA, or somewhere in between, everything you need to know about the dress code is on HAL's website and in the Know Before You Go document.  If you're confused about something written there, Cruise Critic is a good place to get clarification.  In this case, the dress code is explicit.  

Folks have not been adhering to posted dress codes for several years on the cruise lines I travel. HAL is new for me, having been on only one HAL cruise in 2001. I was hoping the dress code is not adhered to as it is posted by HAL. I know, over the years, RCCL and Celebrity has certainly not enforced the dress code, especially on formal nights.

52 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Folks have not been adhering to posted dress codes for several years on the cruise lines I travel. HAL is new for me, having been on only one HAL cruise in 2001. I was hoping the dress code is not adhered to as it is posted by HAL. I know, over the years, RCCL and Celebrity has certainly not enforced the dress code, especially on formal nights.

Bolding is mine.  Why?  HAL’s dress code is pretty simplistic, pants, collared shirt on Gala night. (Of course women can wear a skirt, etc.) Non distressed jeans permitted on smart casual night.

If you want to dress up more than that, you can, but seriously everyone has to have a pair of pants and shirt in their closet ????

• Like 5

14 hours ago, coffeebean said:

Just because people haven't been caught doesn't mean that they're not enforcing the dress code.  I personally have seen people stopped on Celebrity and told to go change.  It doesn't help that so many people decide the rules are not for them and see what they can get away with.  Very selfish, IMO.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SumoCitrus said:

On a related topic - where can I eat on the ship wearing only my bathrobe and slippers?

MAybe you were joking  but on more than one occasion I have seen men and women in the Lido  in  robe and slippers for breakfast.

As  far as  the  "dress code"  on Gala nights; I do not know why HAL even has a dress code  since the food in the MDR  is hardly  "Gala."   More like  "gag." 🤮

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, cruisetheworld67 said:

MAybe you were joking  but on more than one occasion I have seen men and women in the Lido  in  robe and slippers for breakfast.

As  far as  the  "dress code"  on Gala nights; I do not know why HAL even has a dress code  since the food in the MDR  is hardly  "Gala."   More like  "gag." 🤮

I was joking but I've seen many a berobed and beslippered guest in the Lido - especially on Carribbean cruises.

I'm waiting to see one on Gala night in the MDR shouting for a 3rd and 4th lobster tail after downing their 5th Bud Light

• Like 2

On 9/12/2019 at 6:28 PM, coffeebean said:

Is there actually a dress code?

The only thing I could find on HAL's website is a FAQ asking what should I pack and this is the answer given:

Pack as you would for any resort. Cruise vacations are casual by day, whether you're on the ship or ashore. The suggested attire for most evenings is resort casual; slacks and collared shirts for men, and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening-wear for women. On gala nights women usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and men wear a jacket and tie, dark suit, or tuxedo.

That says suggested attire not code.  On my recent Westerdam cruise to Alaska I was one of only a few who wore a tie on the first gala night.  I felt out of place and wore my sport coat over a dress shirt with no tie and olive colored Dockers for the second gala night and I was still over dressed compared to the majority of men.

Edited by przyk

On 9/12/2019 at 8:23 PM, kazu said:

Bolding is mine.  Why?  HAL’s dress code is pretty simplistic, pants, collared shirt on Gala night. (Of course women can wear a skirt, etc.) Non distressed jeans permitted on smart casual night.

If you want to dress up more than that, you can, but seriously everyone has to have a pair of pants and shirt in their closet ????

I was looking at the dress code for women......"elegant dresses, skirts and slacks". I guess I shouldn't complain. At least slacks are the dress code. I'm not happy that capris are not mentioned for women.

1 minute ago, AncientWanderer said:

I wish they'd require collared shirts for men every night in the MDR.  There are way too many T-shirts lately.

Just sayin'...

The dress code does call for collared shirts on men every night. Sadly, it's not enforced. 

3 minutes ago, RuthC said:

The dress code does call for collared shirts on men every night. Sadly, it's not enforced. 

From my Express Docs

"Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Pool/ beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops should be left to daytime and poolside. Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including a five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room.

On Gala Nights in fine dining restaurants, collared shirts and slacks are required for gentlemen. For ladies, elegant dresses, skirts, or slacks are all acceptable. Jeans, shorts and T-shirts are only allowed in the casual dining restaurants."

• Like 1